Converter Check - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 2006 16'
Missouri
Converter Check

I have a new to me 2006 Scamp 16'. The day I bought it, the previous owner had the battery tested and it was shot, so I bought a new one (about a month ago).

I have been doing some maintenance on it for the past few weeks, using the fan on and off while on battery power.

Recently I plugged into shore power to use a floor fan in the trailer, and shortly after that I noticed that the battery functions (e.g. lights, fan) no longer work. It would appear that the battery had never been charging, and I'd slowly drained it all the way over the past few weeks.

I replaced and then tested all the fuses (4 20a fuses - two on the American converter, one at the battery, and one in the closet) and they were all good. I then disconnected the battery, and the overhead light (not battery powered) works just fine, but the battery lights still don't work.

I purchased a clamp multimeter and have used that to test the fuses but that is about the extent of my multimeter chops.

Can anyone suggest next steps for testing? I've read several discussions that the American converter didn't last very long, is there a set of steps I can take to confirm if that is working or not?

Thanks in advance.
michaewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
From what you describe, it seems that the converter when connected to shore power is NOT providing 12vdc power to the fuse panel. You can verify this with a multimeter at the fuse panel. If there is no 12vdc power at the fuse panel when plugged into shore power, then check whether the 110vac circuit breaker that supplies power to the converter (which provides 12vdc to the fuse panel) is set correctly by switching it off and then back on.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
When troubleshooting a wise thing to do is get out the manual and follow the trouble shooting tree that is part of the instructions.

If you don't have a manual for it then you are quite likely to find a copy of it in this forum's section of files of such items that other member's have contributed to for helping out fellow owners who have no manuals.

You might also find some youtube videos regarding your model of converter and how to use it and/or repair it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:22 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
While we have a different converter, we had the same charging issue last year. It turned out that there was a blown fuse internal to the converter. I had to remove an additional panel on the converter to get to it. It was a 30 amp fuse. I had blown it by accident when hooking up a new battery to the system (my mistake). You might check to see if there is another fuse.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #5

Missouri
Thanks all

Thanks for your replies.

I've seen pictures of some that have it, but mine has the shore power coming straight into the converter - it doesn't plug into anything, and there isn't anything to turn on and off save the breakers on the converter.

I did take the cover off as you described Kevin and there was a tube fuse in there but that was fine as well.

I've never used a multimeter, I just need to figure out how to use that to test the converter itself.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Andy,

I had the same problem and found that the ac plug for the converter had worked itself loose from towing vibration. I plugged it back in and all has been fine.

Ken
Old 10-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #7

Missouri
Thanks Ken - I've heard that from one other owner - I got under the bench and my converter doesn't plug into anything, the shore power comes directly into it.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here is a reprint of my comment on another thread on this subject...

Mine is a 2004 with the same converter.
A few things to check...
1] pull the cover (one tiny screw on the cover) and check for giant dust bunnies.
2] if you have a side dinette your converter location prevents good ventilation and you should put a vent in the front of the seat in which the converter is installed.
3] plug the trailer in, and check the fan to see if it is running.
it is common for the fan to fail or get plugged up with dust.
That will overheat the board and if you are lucky it will blow the glass "Little Fuse" at the bottom center.
look carefully at the board, there is at least one aluminum heatsink. If the heatsink has fallen off the board, it has overheated and the board must be replaced.
If you replace the fuse and the board works without the fan, you can replace just the fan. or if the board is burned up you can replace the board without all that disassembly.
The best way is to buy the whole unit and just use the parts (a lot less work! and a lot cheaper!) It is almost certainly a 20A.
PM me if you like, you never know what I may have in the loft of my shop.
Once fixed be sure and remember the extra vent!
Note to EVERYONE who owns a side dinette with the converter in the bench... Install the extra vent before you have the problem.

OH! there is a little red LED on the cover which must be unplugged when removing the cover. Is it lit when on shore power?
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
converter

I am just about betting the convertor is shot have helped some folks figure theirs out. Just funning now but this is the very reason I don't care if mine works or not.

we bareboone camp I don't even know if ours works or not previous owner claims it did. he didn't know if his gas fridge worked or not as he had disconnected the gas.

it does work

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #10

Missouri
Hey Floyd - thanks very much, that is really helpful.

It is super dusty inside but I didn't see any issues with the heatsink.

I tested the power coming in from the house and got ~ 124 volts. The florescent light and the outlets all work great.

I then tested from where the yellow 20 fuses are and got zero or very close to it.

I also tested the glass fuse and it was just fine.

I've been in there a bunch with the fan on and I'm pretty sure it has never turned at all.

That would seem to me that it is the converter - does that sound right?

Time to give up and replace it I think.