Converter problems - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This sounds like a converter overheating problem and burning out the voltage regulator.
I suggest that you check for proper ventilation around the converter. The fan needs to be able to pull air through the converter to keep it from overheating. Some need lots of air.

Byron

Old 10-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
This sounds like a converter overheating problem and burning out the voltage regulator.
I suggest that you check for proper ventilation around the converter. The fan needs to be able to pull air through the converter to keep it from overheating. Some need lots of air.

Byron
The Parallax Power 6730 (and the Scamp OEM MagnaTek 6700) is a switching power supply that creates very low heat. During periods of high current load there is a thermostatically controlled fan the will circulate air through the converter.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Capacitors sometimes fail by becoming “leaky” if you will. They no longer are just a capacitive reaction in a circuit, but develop an internal resistance. >snip<
This capacitor doesn't need to be tested. One end of the cap has been 'blown out', and it now physically has a problem, in addition to the obvious electrical problem.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:
I'm assuming you mean a reverse polarity connection to the battery. Batteries get very mad if you mix up their +s and -s.

The converters I have seen have a fuse in the line to the battery and a reverse polarity protection diode. If you connect the battery backwards it will open the fuse and disconnect the battery. Depending on the level of sophistication of your converter's protection circuits it could also damage the converter. Unfortunately many converters are very unsophisticated.

Also, unsophisticated converters don't work well when there is no battery connected to buffer the converter output. Without the battery the output voltage rises quite a bit. This could be the reason your lightsAlso, unsophisticated converters don't work well when there is no battery connected to buffer the converter output. Without the battery the output voltage rises quite a bit. This could be the reason your lights got so bright and melted the covers got so bright and melted the covers.

If it was me I would find another RV repair place, even if means a long drive. I really doubt the competency of the facility doing the work.

Someone recently posted a link on this forum to a web page entitled "The 12Volt Side of Life" that had a lot of good information on 12V RV systems. I think it could answer a lot of your questions. If I remember right it was about 20 pages long and very detailed. Sorry I don't have the time now to do a search.
Also, unsophisticated converters don't work well when there is no battery connected to buffer the converter output. Without the battery the output voltage rises quite a bit. This could be the reason your lights got so bright and melted the covers.

I think this is what the RV tech is telling me.He says there was a fuse holder that was diconnected.Apparently this was a fuse that had been installed when the wiring was done whenthe new TT to tug wiring was installed.It was done months before the converter installation.It somehow became disconnected and this caused the battery to be disconected from the converter,causing the output voltage to rise?It still sounds like an excuse to remove responsibility from them for not hooking it up properely. I would think a wire should run from the converter to the battery that would keep the connection until the fuse from the converter to the battery failed......They are requesting the converter be replaced under warrenty...Still waiting for an answer.It had better be because it cost us over $6oo.oo to have it put in less than a month ago.We also have to replace the Fantastic Fan that was cooked because of the power surge....I feel i am a little better prepared to question what happened because of the feedback from this fourm...Thanks so much to everyone who contributed.I will post updates....Pat.
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #25

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Quote:
One end of the cap has been 'blown out', and it now physically has a problem, in addition to the obvious electrical problem.
Electrolytic capacitors will sometimes blow the aluminum casing apart when they fail. They can sound like a mini firecracker when this happens. It does make it easier to locate the problem area of a circuit. The failed capacitor can be a symptom or cause of a problem. This type of failure unusually results when the applied voltage exceeds the capacitor’s rating.

[b]Converters: I would agree with the comments that the voltage may rise from a converter when the battery is disconnected, but not to a point that would cause a motor to burn up, light covers to melt and the eventual failure of the converter. That converter company would be out of business soon and would have to have warning labels posted. Warning: In the event of the battery fuse opening, or disconnecting the battery - the converter voltage will rise to a level that will burn up all attached equipment then self destruct. This just isn’t the case. The voltage may rise to a level that would cause problems with some LED type lighting and that would be about it. Good luck Pat

Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #26

Over the weekend I decided to save some time and replace the 120 vac - 12 vdc secion of my converter with a 10 amp battery charger. I bought a NAPA #85-323A 10 amp battery charger for $50 and wired it in place of the electronics package in the converter.

So far, so good. We will see how this works long-term.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 07-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #27

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
Over the weekend I decided to save some time and replace the 120 vac - 12 vdc secion of my converter with a 10 amp battery charger. I bought a NAPA #85-323A 10 amp battery charger for $50 and wired it in place of the electronics package in the converter.

So far, so good. We will see how this works long-term.

-- Dan Meyer
If this is the case then.....the problem was your converter itself, period. Because...a battery charger is IN FACT a specific converter( specific as....12VDC and...10Amps). One more thing: a capacitor across outputs of a converter has 2 functions. First, if it is rated at microfara( 1k, 2K +) it is there for FILTERING the...residual AC after rectified. Secondly, if it is rated at....picofara, it is there for filtering high frequency current, such as...noise, surge...Depend on your converter circuitry/diagram, if a battery is connected to converter IN SERIES-AND WITH WRONG POLARITY- all your loads will be supplied with...DOUBLE VOLTAGE, let's say 24VDC. The same this particular diagram, if the battery is connected PARALLEL AND WITH WRONG POLARITY, either your converter will be blown, your battery bown ..OR BOTH. Just a share.,,,
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote