cook top outdoors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft

We used our interior stove, our portable 2 burner coleman AND our Weber q220 for dinner one night, shows you can never have enough appliances if you are feeding 8 =)

We don't use our interior stove much as we prefer to cook outside. We do use it when we are using the 2 burners on our stove with a grill.

Our friends have the fold and go stove. It's a great stove until the wind blows and then it's almost useless. Nice looking stove though

Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #16
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I would have responded to the topic posted, but now I can't find it.
I had a two burner stove in the tent trailer and rarely used it. Outside I had a Coleman 2-burner and a Broil King Porta-Chef BBQ. I added a butane fueled single-burner Thunder Range and soon found myself bringing it inside so I could make coffee fast in the morning.

As I can barely move before coffee, I would set the Thunder Range on the sink cover where I could reach it without getting out of my sleeping bag. It boiled water in about half the time of the propane stove. I had the thermos and filter holder, loaded with grounds, ready the night before.

If you asked the Old Bag, she'd swear that the only reason I had to have that cup of coffee is so I could switch to beer as soon as possible.

Anyway, we ordered the Escape with the three burner stove. Maybe we'll actually use all three burners at some point, but after six days camping, I finally lit a burner tonight. Dinner was onion-fried potatoes, fried mushrooms and a shared prime-rib steak. With the potatoes and onions on the Thunder Range outside, and the steak on the BBQ, I needed a burner for the mushrooms. Old Bag didn't even notice than there was no veg.

So, more directly to the topic, with the propane burners inside and my Thunder Range and BBQ outside, I have all the options I need.

The Thunder Range is inexpensive ( $25 - $40 ), runs on compact, fairly cheap butane tanks, is light, and measures about 12" x 12" x 5". It is fast and hot.

I have a Weber Q 110 that a friend insisted I buy, but I might put it away for a rainy day and take the Broil King next trip. Haven't quite decided. You alway love the BBQ you know and I'm still getting to know this one.

Choosing your combustible devices really comes down to how you cook and what you cook.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #17
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
We like our Brinkman Stainless Steel propane camp stove that cost under $20 at WalMart. Works great on the morning coffee and other stovetop chores. It folds up into a large briefcase sized package.

We also usually carry our Thermos camp grill. It has a cooktop like a George Foreman grill. It's ribbed on one half the surface and smooth on the other. It's very useful for grilling up say pancakes and bacon in the morning or searing a steak for dinner. The plus is that the grease is all channeled into a plastic bottle attached to the side. Clean-up is a few paper towels. It folds up and has it's own plastic legs although the whole thing is a bit bulky maybe suitcase sized.

We also prefer to cook outside but when we're plugged in, we use the microwave a lot.

Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote