cooktop/stove guts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Name: Lyndsay
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Alberta
Registry
cooktop/stove guts

I got this cook top off of kijiji. It's out of a boler. The problem is that it doesn't have the guts/plumbing on the inside. I'm not sure what I need to get it running or where I could find he parts. Little help? Thanks!

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1426523605.294333.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  37.8 KB

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
PrettylilTrilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
I would not mess around. Take that cook top and your trailer to a qualified RV shop or get a licenced person to go over to where the trailer is, and look at it. They will tell you what you need.
I would like to see every body safe.
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If you can find something new that will fit in that space it might be worth doing rather than trying to find the burner guts.

That said these old stoves are pretty standard both in construction and size. Anyplace that has junk yard of RV parts could probably get you the guts, or maybe list in wanted to buy forum.

Let me know if a picture of the guts would help, I have a stove much like that in my 77 Scamp. And the SNOW HAS MELTED! I could go out and snap a photo without use of snow blower.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
If you can find something new that will fit in that space it might be worth doing rather than trying to find the burner guts.

That said these old stoves are pretty standard both in construction and size. Anyplace that has junk yard of RV parts could probably get you the guts, or maybe list in wanted to buy forum.

Let me know if a picture of the guts would help, I have a stove much like that in my 77 Scamp. And the SNOW HAS MELTED! I could go out and snap a photo without use of snow blower.

A picture would definitely help!

Lilly The Trilly - 1975 Trillium 1300
Old 03-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Call me crazy, but I see burners, and valves. What is missing?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Take off the cover and send us a pic of what's inside.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #7

Alberta
Registry
K I will do that the next time I'm at the trailer. Tomorrow most likely.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #8

Alberta
Registry
Ok got the hubby to send me some pics of the inside of the stove.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1426541597.231736.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	81438

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1426541607.848343.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	81439

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1426541618.264992.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	81440

I will clean up the rust. And the propane "plumbing" has been removed from the trailer before I got it. So would likely run a propane hose from the stove to the outside propane tank but it's the bit that runs inside the stove that I'm in need of and have no idea what it looks like or where I would look to get one.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It looks like a "sometimes used" internal pressure regulator "might" be missing. But many run direct from the regulator on the tank to the appliances.

What is there is a tubing flare fitting usually looking for the end of the copper supply line. Take it to any LP repair shop for an opinion.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Looks to me like it is all there just need to run a copper pipe to the regulator and the tank. Hope you did not pay too much for it on Kijiji.. They are not very expensive new.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Copper tubing with a flare nut would go on the fitting in that picture. Inside the camper all the gas lines are copper tubing.

If the stove is the only gas appliance you could just run a copper line along the wall under cabinets and couches and such to the front.

Typically the gas stuff such as fridge, stove, furnace, water heater are on one side so that a single line can feed them all with a "T" fitting to continue the main line and provide the branch off for each appliance.

I'm always torn when people ask about doing gas lines, I learned how to properly flare, bend, and cut copper tubing. It really is not that hard, someone explained it to me, I tried it on some scrap, messed up a few times, cut that off and tried again BUT having someone blow up their camper trying to learn from an online explanation has... shall we say some down side?

Best bet is maybe to hire someone to install the stove gas line, any plumber should be able to run the copper line, take it to the shop and watch how it is done. Ask questions, most skilled trades (but not all) like to explain their work. So ask up front if this is OK.

One end has a fitting out by the tongue that attaches to the rubber line coming from the tank regulator. One end has a T fitting with one side of it going up to the stove the other capped until you need to extend the line. Watch what they do and how. Then how they test. ESPECIALLY how they test.

If you decide later to add a refrigerator or some other propane appliance then either go pick up the tools (inexpensive) and try it for yourself on some scrap tubing, if you feel comfortable with doing the work to add a line do it or take it back to the plumber.

Unless you are sure of your ability to test your work, and committed to re-test at least a few times to make sure it does not shake loose Don't attempt gas lines.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
That will clean up nice. It goes with your new cushion cover.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Lyndsay, as others have mentioned, that definitely looks complete, at least from the photos shown. As long as the valves are working good, there is no reason that it can't be cleaned up, and put into commission.

I may be giving up the one from the Trillium I am working on. I am definitely going to build a new coutertop for it, and may buy a new combo sink/stove unit for it. If I do, you are welcome to my old stove. I did clean it up nice too. I cleaned an old paint job off, then cleaned it good, and painted it with a white high-temp paint. However, the paint seems to scrape off easily.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Well it would seem from all the answers that I will need this professionally done. The copper tubing in the trailer was removed. I was going to just run a copper pipe on the inside of the stove and then use rubber propane hose from the stove to the propane tank outside. Seems this may not work? The stove would be the only thing run on propane. The fridge is electric and I have and will just use a space heater, no furnace.
Electric cooktop?

Old 03-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Lindsay, Are you always going to be where shore power is available? Or will you be camping in some of our beautiful provincial camp grounds. Most don't have power. I think this stove top will work nicely with your green interior and you can get it installed without much expense. I would go for it.

As for no heater, OK, a portable Coleman catalytic propane heater will work in a pinch, just crack the roof vent.

I think a 12 VDC / 120 VAC compressor fridge is a great idea. I have been watching on on kijiji for a while. If they had put fridge, as well as refrigerator in the ad, then it would have sold a long time ago. It is brown, but it can be painted:
2 Way Norcold RV Refrigerator | parts, accessories | Edmonton | Kijiji

Put about 200 W of flexible solar cells on the roof, and you have a trailer that can boondock, (camp in the wild for extended periods of time).