Cooler Refrigerator? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #15

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Cooler Refrigerator

I tried EVERYTHING posted on the forum to improve the cooling of our Dometic 3 way refrigerator in our 13' Scamp. Inside fan sold at Camping world, 2 pancake fans pulling air over the coils and out the vent in the rear, and no dead air spaces. 110 volt worked best, then propane, then 12 volt, but when we had 100+ degree days here in Arizona, the BEST cooling was 30 degrees below ambient temp. I have ordered a NovaKool R2600 12 volt only Danfoss compressor 134a type refrigerator. It only draws 30 watts (2.5 amps) while running. What impressed me the most in the RV store, was the freezer was cold enough for ice cream after just 10 minutes of running after taking it out of the box and connecting a 12 volt battery to it. I hope to install it in the next month, and REALLY put it through it's paces as we will be camping for two months straight. A 100 watt solar panel will be doing recharge duty as well as TV power while on the road. I really do hope something will work for you.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i'm not sure it may not need work.
my little scamp fridge,,,runniung on gas,,, froze the meat i had in there.
i know 12 volt is only for travel , and will only hold the temp, not lower it very much.
120 should freeze it if you set it low enough.

i was camping in upper 80's lower 90's when mine froze on gas.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #17

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Cooler Rfrigerator

I do have to say that my Dometic 1.9 c.u. ft 3 way refrigerator is 28 years old, and I do know about taking it out and turning it up-side down for a possible Temporary Fix, but that is not a temp fix I wanted to try when we would be traveling for two months. Bonuses that had me looking at changing over to the Danfoss style compressor were: 2.4 c.u. ft vs 1.9, utilizing the same outside dimensions; quick cool down upon start-up; staying cold while traveling; very little amp draw; slightly less expensive to purchase. The compressor and coil cooling fan was also silent, which surprised me.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #18

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I tried EVERYTHING posted on the forum to improve the cooling ...
Did you install baffels? Install a vent above the belly band? Direct the air flow from the top of the fridge to the upper vent?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #19

Name: Kenneth Mack
Trailer: 2008 16ft Scamp
Georgia
12v fan

I had same cooling prolem when hot with old dometic rm 190 that was gave to me. added a two and a half in 12 volt fan put in inline switcvh to turn off when not needed.Bought fan from jc ehitney. 12 bucks.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunter View Post
I had same cooling prolem when hot with old dometic rm 190 that was gave to me. added a two and a half in 12 volt fan put in inline switcvh to turn off when not needed.Bought fan from jc ehitney. 12 bucks.
Could you post a photo please - have a Scamp 16 and thinking of doing the same. If plugged in I dont have a cooling problem but when on propane in hot weather it struggles - have a small fan inside the fridge that helps but not enough.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #21

Name: Kenneth Mack
Trailer: 2008 16ft Scamp
Georgia
Fan jnstal

I instaled fridg where ice box was.The fridg was taller than ice box was. Had trouble getting hot air out as fridg was nearly all the way up to bottom of counter. First mounted fan on floor between back of fridge away from piliot blowing up. blowed out piliot. Mounted with zip tie at bottom back of fridge blowing up at angle away from piliot.The day I put fan in temp ws lower 90s fridg had ben running all day.Temp in fridg was 55 .One hour temp was 36. temp in fridg needs to be betwen 36 and 42. Have not made phit. but can. have trouble sending pit.Kenneth Smith hope thise helps

Tags
refrigerator