Cooler Refrigerator? - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16
Georgia
Cooler Refrigerator?

We were camping in South Ga (93+) degrees and of course the small refrigerator in our Scamp was struggling to keep up. I found a battery operated fan at WalMart for $7.00. Installed it as shown. If I kept the AC on it never went above 40. When I turned the AC off it did go to 55-60 which is still lower than usual. The fan ran for 3 days on low and the batteries were not yet dead. Attached are 3 pictures showing how I placed the fan and the direct sunlight that was on the camper. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp (1).JPG   Scamp (2).JPG  

Scamp (3).JPG  

Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
We're you running your fridge on Electricty, gas or both? Cause that does seem to be running warm.

Glad your fan helped. But have you thought of putting the same type of fan inside the fridge to keep air moving around? I am sure the warm sunny weather doesn't help, but it does seem like you fridge should be colder.....

Sounds like the draw of amps to me since you had colder results with the AC off..... Did you have a lot of other things pluged in? Because AC and fridge should be good to run together.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

Georgia
I had it running on electricity. I was not clear however, it ran cooler when I left the AC on. I was trying to see what if anything would change the outcome. The fan inside is not feasible because there is barely any room in the thing to begin with. It is nice an cold in the morning, but as the day heats up the refrigerator goes up as well. I also turned the fan off one evening and the temp went up 10 degrees. I learned to leave the fan on after that.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry N View Post
I had it running on electricity. I was not clear however, it ran cooler when I left the AC on.

Oh, ok! That or I didn't understand, any way got it now! Makes sense (a little) that if the egg is cooled it would help. But still odd!

I was trying to see what if anything would change the outcome.

Perhaps, a awning for the fridge vent?

The fan inside is not feasible because there is barely any room in the thing to begin with. .

Well hopefully someone who has an idea will see your post and help out.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
A little teeny-weeny tiny fan inside will be HUGE help! On our Boler 1700, my son attached a teeny computer fan (under a dollar) to the fins inside, using double-sided tape. It is run by having wires come OUTSIDE the fridge (through the door) to a 6V lantern battery. Total space taken up - about 1.5 inch square by half inch thick, at the top of the fins.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
You MUST be a CasitaForum member, but this thread has an excellent writeup for adding 12v computer fans to the back of the refer: Refrigerator Fan Modification

Here's a good article that explains refrigerator venting: Venting
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #7

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
When I installed my refrigerator I did a few things to make it more effective. I added 1 1/2" of styrene insulation on 4 sides, added a 2" 12 volt computer fan inside and a 4" computer 12volt fan over the heat exchanger on the top, and made a baffle to direct all incoming air up through the heat exchanger. with no bypasses. I also made sure that there were no dead spots for heat to collect over refrigerator with additional baffling.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #8

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
A little teeny-weeny tiny fan inside will be HUGE help! On our Boler 1700, my son attached a teeny computer fan (under a dollar) to the fins inside, using double-sided tape. It is run by having wires come OUTSIDE the fridge (through the door) to a 6V lantern battery. Total space taken up - about 1.5 inch square by half inch thick, at the top of the fins.
Hmmmm Verrry interesting..
Old 05-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #9

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
....... It is run by having wires come OUTSIDE the fridge (through the door) to a 6V lantern battery.......
Why not just use a 12 volt fan and run it off the main battery?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #10

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I have the small one *in* the fridge as well that I picked up from camping world for that purpose. Runs for 30 plus days none stop on a set of batteries and helps *a lot* in keeping the fridge cool when plugged in even when hot out .... now I need to look at adding the outside fan for when the fridge is on propane as that is when I do indeed have problems in the heat.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Why not just use a 12 volt fan and run it off the main battery?

We were just too lazy to wire it in that way. The 6 V lantern battery was cheep, easy, and convenient and all aspects of the total install took a bit under one minute in the campground, with no tools!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #12

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You MUST be a CasitaForum member, but this thread has an excellent writeup for adding 12v computer fans to the back of the refer: Refrigerator Fan Modification
Do we have any CasitaForum members here that could email me the relevant pages from their forum?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Roy, I have no intention of buying a Casita at this time, but I am truly glad I joined that forum. GREAT info, and nice people. Worth joining because lots of the info applies to all trailers. I think it's worth your time!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #14

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Thanks for the suggestion John, I may do that in the future. Some weeks or even months I don't have the time to check out FGRV.

Tags
refrigerator