correct bulbs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Hey I need to know what is the correct wattage? bulb to put in tail lights for a 77 trailer? the reason I ask is I had a failed tail-light on a recent trip and I installed new ones (it just so happens I had a spare set for just such an emergency...they are signifigantly brighter than the other one and now I was thinking I need to get bulbs to fix the other side so they are equally bright......then I thought "hummmm wonder if there is a particular wattage that I should be using so I don't overload the system.....any advice
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Hi Brandy,

You didn't specify which tail light you were trying to replace, but its no big deal. If it's a conventional bulb (as opposed to one of the newer LED lights), it will be one of these two bulbs:

Single filament - #1141
Dual filament - #1157

Available at any auto parts store, and probably a lot of other places as well. Pretty common standard items.

Hope this helps.

Greg
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #3

Thanks greg.....its the old original 77 taillights....the bulb base has a little nub thing that you kind of twist and it stays in this groove (if you can decipher that your good)...I did replace the one side I was just worried since it was SO much brighter than the other that perhaps it was "to strong"....so your saying its not?....I'm sure I could be more vague than this (ha) so I'll replace the other side befor my next outting.

Quote:
Hi Brandy,

You didn't specify which tail light you were trying to replace, but its no big deal. If it's a conventional bulb (as opposed to one of the newer LED lights), it will be one of these two bulbs:

Single filament - #1141
Dual filament - #1157

Available at any auto parts store, and probably a lot of other places as well. Pretty common standard items.

Hope this helps.

Greg
Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
The difference in brightness you are experiencing could be from several causes. Could be a better electrical contact in one socket, or it could be a mismatched bulb (there are several other bulbs, with different numbers, which will still fit in the socket and work...they just may not be the right bulb for the application.)

The easiest way to tell which one you need is to look at the base of the bulb. If the base has just one soft lead gray tip it is a single filament bulb. This can also be visually checked and verified by looking through the glass globe of the bulb and confirming that it has only one filament. The single filament bulb you want to use (if it is a single filament) is the number # 1141. Any other number is not the correct bulb and should be replaced with the #1141.

If the bottom of the bulb's base has two soft lead gray tips, and inside the glass globe it has two separate filaments, it is the bulb that controls your lights/brakes/turn signals. This is usually the most common bulb to burn out. Again, there are several bulbs made with two filaments which will fit the socket, but the one you want (for two filaments) is an #1157. Any other numbered bulb is not the correct one for the application, and should be changed to this one.

If the bulb(s) you currently have installed are not one of these two, respectively depending on the socket, then they are not the right ones. Use only the 1141 (single) or the 1157 (double) and you will have the proper light intensity for the intended purpose.

Greg
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #5

much thanks your description was perfect...I will check later to see what the heck I did/need.....thanks for the taillight lesson!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
If the base has just [b]one soft lead gray tip it is a single filament bulb. This can also be visually checked and verified by looking through the glass globe of the bulb and confirming that it has only one filament. The single filament bulb you want to use (if it is a single filament) is the number [b]# 1141. Any other number is not the correct bulb and should be replaced with the #1141.
What is the difference between [b]1156 and [b]1141? They are both single filament bulbs. I find that Campground Stores (such as KOA) only carry 1156(single filament) and 1157(dual filament).
Old 04-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
What is the difference between [b]1156 and [b]1141? They are both single filament bulbs. I find that Campground Stores (such as KOA) only carry 1156(single filament) and 1157(dual filament).
The 1156 replaced the 1141 in the early 70's.
There is a neat little write up on bulbs here
Seems that there are newer replacements that draw the same current that are even brighter than the 1156 and 1157.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Brandy--- I betcha you pulled an old 1157 bulb out, and that you put in a "new and improved higher, brighter 1157" It will have a prefix or suffix along with the marking of 1157 on it. And your tailites take dual filament 1157 style bulbs btw.... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Here is a copy of Casita's bulb specs. This was current about 2002. Newer Casitas may have different bulbs. Many owners have changed some bulbs for higher or lower intensity. (The porch light bulbs were particularly hot and burned the plastic covers, too.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	19454

Cooktop vent lamp #921 with a cp of 21.0

While you're at it, change your porch light covers to amber if available for your fixture. Really reduces the bugs swarming.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #10

You guys rock!!!!!!!! And lesson learned for me anyways...it pays to be prepared......I did have this set of extra lightbulbs in my tool box...and here it was minutes away from departure 2.5 hours aways from home and a 3 hour journey to my next destination and a non working tail light in dark rainy conditions....thank you I've learned so much
Old 04-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
An alternate for the 1156/1141 single element bulb is a 1003 which draws 0.94 amps vs 2.1 amps for the 1156 and 1.44 amps for the 1141.
Alan #1119 is offline   Reply With Quote