Corroded locks, in need of advice please! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #1

Name: Khelsea
Trailer: Coachman Chaparral 2017
Arkansas
Corroded locks, in need of advice please!

So the locks on the front pass-thru (pass-through?) of my 2017 Coachmen Chaparral have already corroded so badly that the key hardly and barely works. And 2017 isn't even half way over wth. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have any advice on what to do? Is it possible to replace just the lock or would I have to replace the entire storage door? I can post pictures if it helps, just let me know. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!!
kmk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
2017 model? You must have a warranty. If you do.. there is the solution.

No need to even mention the focus of this forum.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I can't say for sure without a picture, but those locks are usually common and locally available. Try Ace Hardware. Or as gordon2 suggests ...Warranty.
Your local RV store should be able to replace the lock and bill the manufacturer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #4

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I can't say for sure without a picture, but those locks are usually common and locally available. Try Ace Hardware.

Thank you! I'll check ACE!
Old 03-23-2017, 01:29 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I'm wondering & scratching my head as to why a 2017 RV would have corroded locks????????
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:53 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I'm wondering & scratching my head as to why a 2017 RV would have corroded locks????????
It's been sitting on the lot for 3 years.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:46 AM   #7

Arkansas
Quote:

We also moved up from the south to Washington a couple ago so maybe the climate change and humidity....? The warranty would just take too long so I'd rather just fix the little stuff myself if I can.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:41 AM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally manufactured in China, maybe! My (low grade) stainless steel Chinese made barbecue tools from Walmart are covered with rust a year later from sitting in the screened back porch, or as they are called in Florida, the lanai.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #9

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
I would get brand new coaches delivered with half the compartment locks corroded and sticking from factory (usually coaches shipped during winter weather) . I just made it a habit to always shoot a squirt or two of AC DELCO HEAT VALE LUBE and work the locks a few times as part of my PDI.
Pretty much required because of poor quality of product used by
manufacturers.
Meaning for the life of the lock you will want to make lubricating them part of your regular maintenance.

ACDelco 10-4020 Rust Penetrating Lubricant - VOC Compliant - 12 oz Aerosol https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008I2H55U..._yo.0ybKME8ESP
Old 03-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I spray my trailer locks with a rust preventing lubricant twice a year . (Spring - Fall) . Seems to help but I still had to replace one lock due to corrosion . The replacement locks I've found are made in China and of no better quality than my original trailer locks.. Someday maybe China will master the art / science of making stainless steel but until then we live with rust.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk88 View Post
... The warranty would just take too long so I'd rather just fix the little stuff myself if I can.
I get that. In fact I repaired all the problems with my camper when I bought it (new).. because it was the easiest thing to do. The problem with that is the dealers learn they can sell an inferior product and they usually wont have to be held accountable. At least let them know and make them pay for replacement parts.. that is also what I did. Even if the dealer / manufacturer wants to sell a good product that they can stand behind, they can't do that unless they know when there is a problem. And a brand new trailer should not have inoperable locks.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:14 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
So the locks on the front pass-thru (pass-through?) of my 2017 Coachmen Chaparral have already corroded so badly that the key hardly and barely works. And 2017 isn't even half way over wth. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have any advice on what to do? Is it possible to replace just the lock or would I have to replace the entire storage door? I can post pictures if it helps, just let me know. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!!
call them on the phone, describe the problem and ask them to send you a set of replacement locks. Tell them sending them to you directly will save them the price of your making a warranty claim to have them replaced.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #13

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
call them on the phone, describe the problem and ask them to send you a set of replacement locks. Tell them sending them to you directly will save them the price of your making a warranty claim to have them replaced.

Thank you for all of the advice! I think I'm definitely going to have them send me the parts and just do it myself. I couldn't find anything similar enough at ACE or on Amazon. Thank you all for the tips! It's greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Its the fault of the Cheep, lowest cost, disposable world wide economy. Everyone wanted cheaper and got it and drove out old, high quality manufacturing, They couldn't or wouldn't keep up with the ultra low pricing structure.
Instead of 1- 20 dollar lock you get to buy 3 cheaper locks which you have to change 3 times more often or use unusual maintenance methods to avoid early demise.
Cheaper materials do not resist corrosion very well, not withstanding someone deliberately using interior grade locks on an exterior application to save another buck.
A little WD-40 every so often will keep them functional until something breaks inside.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Unfortunately these days, if an American company wants to compete in their field and they can get away with low quality, they will order the lowest cost parts available or they will spec out what they want and have the lowest bidder make them. If they don't, they won't be able to compete. RV companies are in a constant race to have a product look nice initially and find a cheaper way to build it.

It's not China's problem that they can beat us and manufacture stuff for 10% of what it cost to do so here. When an American engineer designs a part and calls out the alloy or surface treatment they want, that is what they get. There is no surprise. It's just the consumer that gets surprised. Better to blame the manufacturer for ordering the cheapest possible materials. At least this is mostly the case, but to say that China does not know how to make stainless steel is laughable.

We all know that most RVs are very poorly built so why be surprised or blame China for something poorly made that shows up in an RV? That is what the manufacturer ordered and approved.

All locks should have a squirt of lube periodically anyway.

A good example of general poor quality was with my Fleetwood. It had skylights that were not UV protected, cabinets that were only stapled together and started falling apart on the first trip, a water tank that could only be drained half way, a gas leak in the system and no insulation where they assured me there was. The axles were only strong enough to hold the trailer with no water and no other cargo. When I noticed that the sound system didn't work, immediately after signing the papers and before even towing it off the lot, they told me I'd have to contact Fleetwood directly as it was not their problem, even though they were a Fleetwood dealer. The list goes on and on.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0ta
California
Quote:
OK, first of all never squirt WD-40 or other spray or oil into a lock. The oil/spray will just attract dirt and make it harder to turn and ultimately ruin the lock. The best way to get the locks (yes any lock) to loosen up is take some paraffin (yes an old candle will do) and take your key and scrape some of the wax onto it. Then put the key in the lock several times. Get plenty of wax in the key hole and you will start to feel it loosen up. I do this on all my locks and not a one has failed. An old locksmith from a job taught me that and it has always worked well. Try it! Bill
coolcampingkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I use graphite powder. A little goes a long way and gets on everything in the vicinity, but it works.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
With your corroded lock spray WD-40 the solvent in the spray will help break down the corrosion and the nature of WD-40 will displace the moisture that caused the issue. Clean new locks protected with wax or graphite powder may be great but the horse has already left the corral. Your just trying to salvage what you have before it totally fails on you.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
With your corroded lock spray WD-40 the solvent in the spray will help break down the corrosion and the nature of WD-40 will displace the moisture that caused the issue. Clean new locks protected with wax or graphite powder may be great but the horse has already left the corral. Your just trying to salvage what you have before it totally fails on you.
This seems more right to me and the way I do it. I don't see how wax can penetrate up into the mechanism and prevent oxidation. Or clear out oxidation that is already there and causing the lock to stick. RV locks are made of the cheapest pot metal which corrodes and breaks easily. Beyond the pins and springs, there are sliding surfaces for the tumbler assembly and a linkage to move the bolt, plus the bolt itself. Some spots must get a liquid to flow to them. WD-40 can flush out all kinds of corrosion and prevent more for a while. Wax works well where the catch moves in and out of the door and against the strike plate because it doesn't evapoate and isn't messy.