Couch/bunk dimensions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Couch/bunk dimensions

At it's widest point (very middle I think), how wide is the sleeping surface of the lower bunk bed?

I tried to search for this here, but no luck.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-36402.html

Try the Google Search option in the search dropdown menu. It works!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Texas
Thx rabbit!

Answer is 27' on the 13', so I'll assume will be the same for the 16'.

Yeehaw, now I'll have a dedicated bed, no need to mess with the dining room area.

Sharon
Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Sharon
If you planing on using the front bench for your bed you end up with more space if you remove the bunk board/seat back. The seat back can be used as your bottom cushon so you don't have to deal with the bananna cushon. It also stays in place a little better, but it is heavy. Or you can get a good quality foam and make a much better mattress.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Sharon, when traveling on my on in bad weather I have often used the bottom bunk in my Scamp, as it lets me leave the table up for eating. You will find the bottom bunk is a bit wider in the middle than the the upper bunk is making it a bit more comfortable.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #6

Texas
Thanks all for the feedback. I will be cutting down some foam for a mattress on the bottom. I'll also play some games with the top bunk area for storage, esp. of clothing stuff in soft-sided containers. Storage is always an issue in these little guys, and I think leaving the top bunk as a bunk will solve a lot of problems for me.

Sharon
Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #7

Delaware
What brand/length trailer do you have, Sharon? Calibrating my crystal ball.

jack
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #8

Texas
2011, standard, 16 foot, layout 4.

But I don't have it yet. Going to pick it up next Friday. I'm in San Antonio, TX. My new baby is in Lawrence, KS. 10 hour drive one way. 100 hour drive coming back with baby in tow ... I've never towed a trailer.

WOOOOHOOOOO

S.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Hope your taking someone with towing exp. along with you.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #10

Delaware
Good for you. Make "farmer" turns (get the tow vehicle out in the intersection before you make tight right turns). Your entire rig is probably twice the length of your ride not towing. No tractor trailer but the handling precautions apply as curbs and the edges of culverts are hard on tires and road signage is not intended as a paint scraper.

First time towing avoid pulling "into" any situation that you can't pull thru. You can learn to back later in calmer waters so to speak.

Check the security of your hitch, operation of running, brake and signal lights, condition of tires and temperature of hubs more rather than less frequently and certainly the hitch, trailer connector and lights after every overnite stop and a quick check after brief fuel and food stops can't hurt.

Please take another competent adult driver with you if possible. If this person has some experience towing, so much the better. If not, you still have a potential relief driver, another pair of eyes and hands, an extra cellphone.

If you have extension mirrors or the seller gives you a pair with the trailer, install them and adjust them. Don't tow blind!

jack
Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #11

Texas
Thanks guys. Hope to get a brother or sister to come along. My tow vehicle is a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder SV all set to tow 7-pin trailers. I will take it slow and easy, and look forward to this new adventure. Send lots of good karma my way.

S.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
What a number of us have done to make the bed/bunks more comfortable is just purchase a memory foam topper and cut that out to match the size/curves of the bed. That means you can always in a minute revert it all back as it was and doesnt take a lot of room to store away.

Have fun picking up your new trailer. The first tow is always the scariest but it will not be as bad as we anticipated it might be A few key safety points before starting the engine are:

1) Make sure all the trailer lights are working correctly including turn signals and brakes hard on.

2) The trailer is correctly attached and safety chains on and crossed. An easy way to check if the trailer is firmly latched on the ball is once you have it attached crank the tongue jack up until you see it lifting the ball/tug a bit. The hitch shouldn't pop off the ball.

3) Try and get the trailer riding as level as you can or slightly down on the ball. If the front end of the trailer is up you could have a sway issue. You may need a drop receiver in order to get the trailer riding level.

Have a safe and fun trip!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #13

Texas
TY TY Carol -- I sure want to maximize the fun, minimize the stress. It's my time in life to throw caution to the wind.

Sharon

Tags
scamp