Covering an RV in Florida - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Name: Sherri
Trailer: 2012 Casita Spirit
St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Covering an RV in Florida

I am thinking about buying a cover for my previously owned Casita. However, I live in Florida and I am worried that the humidity will cause more potential for mold in a covered RV. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Sherri
Sherritini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If it is stored at your home, how about one of those peaked roof canopies. Something with open sides, or at least open ends so you get some air movement. Maybe a product like Damp Rid to absorb moisture in the trailer. Up here in the Northeast we have to winterize our campers, but I know some snowbirds that leave their big trailers stored in the Southeast have said it's more trouble to "summerize" their trailers to prevent mold when they come back north in the spring
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #3

St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
My experience with Damp Rid is that it leaves a film. If someone can explain "summarize" and what it entails in Florida, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Summerizing in Florida is really not a problem. First, it should be shielded from the sun's UV rays. UV and fiberglass are not a good combination. Mine is in a metal carport. I keep it totally closed and plugged in. I run a dehumidifier 24/7 set at 45% humidity, and I use the "hose option" and run it into the sink, through the gray tank, and out onto the ground. That way I don't have to empty the bucket every couple of day. No mold or mildew whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #5

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
To my experience carport is a must, but dehumidifier is an overkill...
Old 08-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #6

St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Yikes! I am looking into an aluminum carport/roof over my driveway. My problem is the expense and I need a city permit that is hard to get approved...I am told. It sounds like your situation is ideal. What is a step or two under ideal? Thanks for replying.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherritini View Post
My experience with Damp Rid is that it leaves a film. If someone can explain "summarize" and what it entails in Florida, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Actually I was calling it summer-ize, not summar-ize, a term northerners use when preparing their trailers for storage over the summer months in the south. Haven't had that situation so don't know all that they do. Where have you seen a film left from Damp Rid, we have one of the little buckets of it in our Casita and just emptied the water in it yesterday and put in new stuff
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #8

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Protecting your Casita

Sherri,
Costco has a shelter which uses heavy tarp material for the roof. The frame of the shelter seems very robust. If my memory serves me it was around $700.00. I can't speak to your zoning regulations but it's possible the Costco shelter may be considered a temporary shelter and treated differently. Although we don't have the extreme humidity you do, this summer has been unusually hot and humid. I have a Calmark cover on my Casita, the roof vent as well as the bathroom vent are always open. I also have Max Air vents on my windows and they are also open. All cabinets, storage areas under the sink and seats all open, if it can be opened it should be. So far I have had no problems mold or mildew. Calmark makes excellent covers and they are around $650.00. Hope that helps a little. Peace!
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:35 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
To my experience carport is a must, but dehumidifier is an overkill...

As Donna would say, YMMV. I had mold in a trailer several years ago from Florida's excessive summer humidity. Took several days to address and correct the problem. Using a dehumidifier prevented a recurrence in that trailer and the two others I have since owned. I guess "overkill" is a relative term.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-20-ft-portable-car-canopy-60728.html. It can be bought on sale or with coupon for around $110. Worth it just to keep the tree crap off the Scamp, not to mention the rain & sun.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I have one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-20-ft-portable-car-canopy-60728.html. It can be bought on sale or with coupon for around $110. Worth it just to keep the tree crap off the Scamp, not to mention the rain & sun.
From the item description, "This product is not rated for snow, ice, or high winds. Shelter must be securely anchored."

And from the installation manual, "WARNING! The Cover must be installed and anchored. The Cover, Guy Ropes and Spike Anchors do not only anchor the Canopy, they also hold it together."

Kinda hard to use if your only parking spot for the trailer is on your concrete driveway which is my situation. I continue to look for a way to keep the sun off my trailer when stored at home.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Kinda hard to use if your only parking spot for the trailer is on your concrete driveway which is my situation. I continue to look for a way to keep the sun off my trailer when stored at home.
Might install some Redhead drop in threaded anchors in the concrete. I've used those many times for different apps. I do set them a bit lower than flush in case at a later date I can butter over them if no longer needed.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
From the item description, "This product is not rated for snow, ice, or high winds. Shelter must be securely anchored."
The OP shows a location of Florida, I doubt snow and ice are a problem. Also, I am in Florida and have actually been using this shelter for over two years, I am not speculating if it might work, it does. I have it tied to four 8"X8" concrete blocks at the corners that allow us to move it. Yes, one time some very strong winds shifted it sideways until the trailer stopped it. You pays your money and takes your chances. I am well pleased with the protection this cheap shelter has provided.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
The OP shows a location of Florida, I doubt snow and ice are a problem. Also, I am in Florida and have actually been using this shelter for over two years, I am not speculating if it might work, it does. I have it tied to four 8"X8" concrete blocks at the corners that allow us to move it. Yes, one time some very strong winds shifted it sideways until the trailer stopped it. You pays your money and takes your chances. I am well pleased with the protection this cheap shelter has provided.
If you don't mind I will PM you about my specific situation, if you don't mind telling me if you think the shelter would work here.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote