Crack fiberglass roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
koy

Name: Cory-Casita
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Crack fiberglass roof

I just recently painted this paint call Kool-seal white elastomeric roof coating on my casita roof camper. I found out that this stuff is the wortless piece of "crab". I found it online on wal-mart web site. It had some review that some people use it on their camper roof for sun protection. I thought it would last ? Turn out it started to peel and wrinkle up when it got wet in the rain. I though it was a joke? I started to spray water and scrub the stuff off. It was a waste of time and money. I have try flex- seal paint -and it work very good, but it is very expensive and I just seal just little crack spot. I have look up the price of a 1 gallon of flex-seal ,it will cost around $100 for 1 gallon. Is there any stuff out there that is less expensive and work as good as flex-seal ?
koy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:40 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
the white coating you put on your roof to cool it off....that stuff is meant for metal roofs that overtime develop a lot of tiny pin holes, it is not needed for fiberglass. They use white because the metal roofs are not white. However you already have a white roof. So yes you did waste your money and if you try another similar product you will waste it another time.

You are a victim of advertising thinking you will get good results when you never will and that is because you don't have "that" kind of roof on your RV. Good news if it is easy to peel off then it will take less effort to undo.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:38 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Koy, you say in the title cracked FG roof. I can only guess without a pic that you're talking about cracks in the gel coat. If that's what you're talking about, that is common and not a leak point unless there has been some damage done. If you're after extra insulation....
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
koy

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Koy, you say in the title cracked FG roof. I can only guess without a pic that you're talking about cracks in the gel coat. If that's what you're talking about, that is common and not a leak point unless there has been some damage done. If you're after extra insulation....

Hello, Dave what I put in my title was "I have some "small hole crack" the size of a "dime". not a big crack. The previous owner seal it with silicone caulk. It was pretty worn out , so I re-seal it with Flex-seal. This is great stuff-it come in paint . The paint work the best, because it easy to spread over the hole. The Flex-seal is a little expensive,if you want to cover the whole roof.But for little hole it O.K.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
koy

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
the white coating you put on your roof to cool it off....that stuff is meant for metal roofs that overtime develop a lot of tiny pin holes, it is not needed for fiberglass. They use white because the metal roofs are not white. However you already have a white roof. So yes you did waste your money and if you try another similar product you will waste it another time.

You are a victim of advertising thinking you will get good results when you never will and that is because you don't have "that" kind of roof on your RV. Good news if it is easy to peel off then it will take less effort to undo.

Thank-you, for the info.-"live and learn".I just want the people out there to know and not to be fool and buy the product. Well I only lost $20 buck.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by koy View Post
Hello, Dave what I put in my title was "I have some "small hole crack" the size of a "dime". not a big crack. The previous owner seal it with silicone caulk. It was pretty worn out , so I re-seal it with Flex-seal. This is great stuff-it come in paint . The paint work the best, because it easy to spread over the hole. The Flex-seal is a little expensive,if you want to cover the whole roof.But for little hole it O.K.
MMM, maybe that title was a different thread. You never mentioned a dime size hole or a PO caulking it. This thread was only about the roof coating you had not working....my bad. I've used Kool Seal on a few stickies and never had that reaction with it. Wonder if you applied it with wax still on the shell. Let us know how the F/S works out. I haven't heard of anyone using it on an egg.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:14 AM   #7

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by koy View Post
I though it was a joke?
+1
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Paint peel

When a fiberglass product is made, the "female" surface of the form is coated with a release wax before the gel coat is applied. This allows the new product to be removed from the form without damage. Traces of this wax can remain on the surface of the finished fiberglass product essentially forever, unless removed with a dewaxing compound, which is available from manufacturers of paints intended for fiberglass. These wax residues will definitely affect the adhesion of any coating applied, if the surface is not properly dewaxed first. This could be what happened with your roof.
DaveMinBako is offline   Reply With Quote