Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle
To: piperjim, scampg in Colorado...
Oh, boy, one of those moments when the more you investigate, the more you're both sorry and glad you looked.
I see it's been months...how did this work out for you? What did you do, and how is it holding up?
Kai in Seattle (complete 1973 Amerigo
rebuild underway) October 22, 2015
I hate to admit that I have all my supplies ready to approach the repair, but haven't done it yet. But, here's where I am on this repair......
I went to a local sheet metal shop and asked for their help. The owner, luckily, owns an RV so he understands the problem. He suggested I buy a sheet of poster board at the office supply store and go home and cut out three pieces to cover over the damaged area....2 vertical and 1 horizontal (they're all more/less triangular), to close up and seal this area. I did as instructed, found it pretty easy to figure out how large to make this stainless steel patch. He formed the sheets so they all fit together with a good overlapping seam of sheet metal to seal up tightly, using rivets and Liquid Nails adhesive. He suggested I install the sheet metal, one sheet at a time rather than put them together first then try to install them. That makes sense and I will follow the advice.
Thanks for asking. Once I get it finished I'll post some pics.