Crack in bathroom wall: Structural or cosmetic? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-25-2015, 01:25 AM   #15
Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
To: piperjim, scampg in Colorado...
Oh, boy, one of those moments when the more you investigate, the more you're both sorry and glad you looked.

I see it's been did this work out for you? What did you do, and how is it holding up?

Kai in Seattle (complete 1973 Amerigo rebuild underway) October 22, 2015

I hate to admit that I have all my supplies ready to approach the repair, but haven't done it yet. But, here's where I am on this repair......

I went to a local sheet metal shop and asked for their help. The owner, luckily, owns an RV so he understands the problem. He suggested I buy a sheet of poster board at the office supply store and go home and cut out three pieces to cover over the damaged area....2 vertical and 1 horizontal (they're all more/less triangular), to close up and seal this area. I did as instructed, found it pretty easy to figure out how large to make this stainless steel patch. He formed the sheets so they all fit together with a good overlapping seam of sheet metal to seal up tightly, using rivets and Liquid Nails adhesive. He suggested I install the sheet metal, one sheet at a time rather than put them together first then try to install them. That makes sense and I will follow the advice.

Thanks for asking. Once I get it finished I'll post some pics.

piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #16
Name: Kathleen (Kai in Seattle)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973
Thanks for the update...sounds very interesting, please do send photos!
It's so good to find people out there who can help.

Kai in Seattle

Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote