Cracked AC Shroud - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Cracked AC Shroud

There were two small cracks at the screws and my husband took the AC shroud down to repair with some special glue. The shroud was so brittle it literally went to pieces on the table. Casita is closed and I can't get help from them. I leave on a camping trip Tuesday, so I need to deal with this immediately (and 4th of July weekend doesn't help!). I'm looking on Amazon for a replacement shroud and can't figure out which one to order. On the AC inside the trailer it says BriskAir by Dometic and Duo-Therm. It is a boxy cover with a slight slope to the front. There are three screws on each side, plus an additional one on each side at the back. Can someone look at Amazon and give me some advice on which to order. Some models have too many screw holes. In the pictures there seems to be a gray band at the bottom which mine doesn't have. The indentions on top seem to differ also. Mine has vent slots that go straight up and down almost the whole height and about 2/3 the length (until the slight slope). I'm sorry I can't post a picture. Please, can someone help me! Posted on Casita Forum also. THANK YOU!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Does it look anything like this shroud at Camping World?
Attached Thumbnails
Dometic Brisk Air.JPG  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #3

Camping World! Great idea! The one I see on their website is slightly different—it doesn’t have the gray band at the bottom. Mine also has larger vertical vents and fewer screw holes. Also, the decorative indents on top are different. Let me call them. They aren’t too far away to drive to.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When our trailer was new, we replaced the washers on top with
1-1/2" X 1/8" strips of aluminum cut full length of the shroud top.
Simply drill two holes in each strip corresponding with the hold down bolts.
The strip acts as a large and effective washer and will prevent the shroud from cracking.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The strip acts as a large and effective washer and will prevent the shroud from cracking.
I borrowed Floyd's idea from him, although I just used two aluminum strips on the front section.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20150727_20_51_35_Pro.jpg  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #6

Quote:
I’m talking about trying to find a correct new shroud to fit over the top of the AC unit. The screws run horizontally into the plastic shroud to hold it on. But I’m glad that worked for you.

Finally found the model number, and that along with some exact measurements find me the correct size. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Not hard to find at all. I replaced the cover on my 1999 Brisk Air. The original is open across the back and the new one has vertical spaces like the side. They seem to cut down the cooling a little and can easily be cut off but I like how it looks. You may want to contact the vendor to verify it fits your model.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICON-Brisk-...55c3%7Ciid%3A1
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:30 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
There were two small cracks at the screws and my husband took the AC shroud down to repair with some special glue. The shroud was so brittle it literally went to pieces on the table. Casita is closed and I can't get help from them. I leave on a camping trip Tuesday, so I need to deal with this immediately (and 4th of July weekend doesn't help!). I'm looking on Amazon for a replacement shroud and can't figure out which one to order. On the AC inside the trailer it says BriskAir by Dometic and Duo-Therm. It is a boxy cover with a slight slope to the front. There are three screws on each side, plus an additional one on each side at the back. Can someone look at Amazon and give me some advice on which to order. Some models have too many screw holes. In the pictures there seems to be a gray band at the bottom which mine doesn't have. The indentions on top seem to differ also. Mine has vent slots that go straight up and down almost the whole height and about 2/3 the length (until the slight slope). I'm sorry I can't post a picture. Please, can someone help me! Posted on Casita Forum also. THANK YOU!
Most RV supply stores will sell them. I've had to replace a couple and that's where I got them. Make sure to get the right one or it won't fit and work right. If you don't have the manual then take the trailer to the store to get it.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:25 PM   #9

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
Might not be a bad idea to take those shrouds off occasionally and spray paint them to protect the plastic from the UV rays of the sun which is what causes them to get brittle in the first place. Modern spray paints usually say on the can if they will work on plastic.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
"Go2" glue is excellent for that type of material.
I have used it to glue vinyl (cut from "J" channel) to the inside shroud of an A/C unit about 4 years ago. It was glued and clamped overnight to close over a stress crack and provide reinforcement. Today it appears as new with no sign of the repair.
Again just an alternative to purchasing a new shroud, maybe only until a new one is procured.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:19 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Not to hijack the tread but about glue...on a class A I had, the rear plastic panel that had the tail lights in it cracked. I pulled it, cut some PVC pipe to re enforce the ribs and used PVC glue on it...big mistake as it melted the panel. Make sure any glue you may use for any plastic repair is OK for the material before your hands get in gear....or it can be expensive .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Might not be a bad idea to take those shrouds off occasionally and spray paint them to protect the plastic from the UV rays of the sun which is what causes them to get brittle in the first place. Modern spray paints usually say on the can if they will work on plastic.
Interesting idea. I wonder if anyone else has tried it. The shroud was literally disintegrating—just touching it caused cracks. No glue would make a difference, but thanks. I have ordered the shroud, but the soonest I could get it here is next Wednesday (darn 4th of July weekend!) and I leave with the trailer on Tuesday. I think Tom said something about wrapping it in plastic and duct tape to get me by and he will put the new one on when I return. Obviously won’t be using it while I’m gone, but doubt I would have needed it anyway. I’ve only used my AC maybe 2 or 3 times in 12 years. Usually we boondock.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Not to hijack the tread but about glue...on a class A I had, the rear plastic panel that had the tail lights in it cracked. I pulled it, cut some PVC pipe to re enforce the ribs and used PVC glue on it...big mistake as it melted the panel. Make sure any glue you may use for any plastic repair is OK for the material before your hands get in gear....or it can be expensive .
PVC glue is not truly "glue" in that it has several plastic solvent ingredients. That's why it dissolves and seals so well. Might try Gorilla Glue (comes in clear now) and do paint with a plastic paint (no primer needed for those.)

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #14

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
Something else that you can do is to occasionally put some Armorall or whatever your favorite protectant is on a paper towel or rag and apply it to the shroud. Ant thing to protect it from the UV rays.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #15

Quote:
I didn’t understand what you were saying, Floyd, especially about the washers (weren’t any any ours). Tom did though and explained it to me and we are going down to Home Depot to buy some metal strips to put the old shroud back up for my trip next week. I hope it holds together—especially the big crack! I think he intends to put the metal strips on the new one too. He also thought painting it to protect against the UV rays, as someone suggested, was a good idea so we will do that too. I appreciate how helpful the folks on this forum are!
Old 07-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If I was in your position, I'd just forget about the problem and go camping! I don't believe it would be any problem at all except cosmetic.

Get a replacement part when your trip is complete.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
When I got my 2004 Scamp six years ago, the AC shroud was in bad shape. I used fiberglass to hold it together. Most of it was applied on the inside and where I had to apply it on the outside, I used exterior spray paint. It is still holding together and looks pretty good from 6 feet away. (Nobody climbs up on the roof to check how well or not well I did!) I thought then that they cost several $100. Had I discovered the $100 cover, I would have bought it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Lisa you're doing the right thing- get a new one and forget it. When plastic gets brittle, you will spend everyday "patching" and gluing it. Not worth it.

When a cover gets so brittle that it could break and fly off, it's time for a new one. That should be one of the checks as a trailer ages. Mine is 9 yrs old but stays under cover out of the sun for the most part. If it's on the road continuously, I know the weather would/will make a difference.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Might consider that a black cover holds up better to UV, or if you do get a new one spray it with a plastic paint (no primer needed.) Krylon and Rustoleum makes the paint and I use both.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
"303" is another substitute for Armorall...