Cracked exterior fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Name: Frederic
Trailer: 1976 beachcomber
California
Cracked exterior fiberglass

3 questions...
In the middle of rebuilding our camper from scratch. Hoping someone can provide feedback:
1- we covered a window (see picture). All good on the inside of camper but wondering how to cover the exterior? Also want to avoid water filtration. Should i fiberglass the outside and then bondonover it?
2- cracked fb (see pic). How to fix? Fb and bondo?
3- want to make sure roof is leakproof...it seems somewhat damaged...by exposure. Any special product i have to apply?
Thanks for all the help. Hoping to be done by end of May! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4714.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	117514Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4711.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	117515Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4712.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	117516
fvicaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
There is a long thread on do it yourself fiberglass repair. I don't think that wood patch is going to work by itself. For a patch that large, some start with a scrap of fiberglass, say a fiberglass bath surround. Alternately, find a fiberglass boat repair shop and seek their advice.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
That wood insert is a bad idea. Need fiberglass insert.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
There is a long thread on do it yourself fiberglass repair. I don't think that wood patch is going to work by itself. For a patch that large, some start with a scrap of fiberglass, say a fiberglass bath surround. Alternately, find a fiberglass boat repair shop and seek their advice.
This one? http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-52498.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
If the wood is part of your interior finish you can leave it but the exterior panel should be fiberglass. As has been mentioned use a piece fglass panel from something to fill the hole and glass it in.
I would suggest a truck canopy as I have used in this project starting at post 187.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-55601-14.html
As for the cracks grind them almost through to the interior and fill with layers of glass. There is lots of info in the thread Donna posted.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #6

Name: Pete
Trailer: U-Haul 1986 -- got it 7/2013
Virginia
Registry
Fiberglass repair

Contact West System Epoxy - they have (or used to) lots of "how-to" information, available free. They have an interesting approach to patching cracks and holes, which IMO is worth learning - I've used it on a number of boat repairs and have been very happy with the result.
https://www.westsystem.com/

Remember, though -- Preparation is EVERYTHING.
-pete
Pete Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #7

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Fiberglass repair

You've got quite a job ahead of you. I have owned an old corvette for about 35 years and a large sailboat for 24 years. I've done work on both. I see that Lowes carries Fiberglass sheets at $65 for a 4 x 8. it's about .09" thick but you could double it. Wipe it with acetone, hit it with 100 grit paper and glass it together to fill large areas. You can buy glass matt and roving to fill and bond with. USC sells a fiberglass filler called Dura-glass that works well. It can be bought at an auto store that specializes in paint supplies. West marine sells West System fillers that can be added to epoxy that does the same thing. To fill a hole you must cut a piece of stock to fill it and grind both surfaces back about 4 times the thickness. Secure the piece with tape from behind. Cut your glass mat to size. Wet the surface and apply the mat. Brush more mixed fiberglass on with cheap, throw away brushes. Build it up with successive layers. Remove the tape and bond on the inside. Cracks can be ground open. a Dremel works well. The duraglass works well for filling as does epoxy with filler added. Epoxy and fiberglass work well together. Epoxy will not accept water, Fiberglass is more porous. When your done with the glass work you will probably want to hit the whole trailer with a couple of coats of epoxy primer and follow up with a good 2 part marine paint like Interlux or All Grip. There are tons of videos on YouTube that can be a lot of help if you haven't done much of this sort of thing before. I often watch the videos anyway, easier is better. Good Luck !
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
my 2d

afte4r hanging around a body shop guy for a bit make sure after all that is done to spray it down and look down the sides. you will see highs and lows after the spray paint is on impossible to fix unless you take most of it off.

big job ahead of you good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote