Cracked fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Name: Olivia
Trailer: Ford Fleetwood
California
Cracked fiberglass

Recently I've bought a very cheap 1988 ford Fleetwood Jamme motorhome that for the most part has been maintained great. However, the fiberglass on the corner of the cab over bed has cracked and separated (apparently it did this quite a few years ago) I see he just siliconed it closed but of course now it's not. I know I need to remove all the silicone and patch this somehow but I'm VERY lost on what products I'm supposed to be using. Can I just use fiberglass epoxy resin, do I need to apply some fiberglass cloth first? Is there another product I should be using? I also want to paint it in the near future with epoxy boat paint if that affects which product I would need to use. I've attached a photo to probably better explain.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20191029-123727_Gallery.jpg  
00pipirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00pipirose View Post
Recently I've bought a very cheap 1988 ford Fleetwood Jamme motorhome that for the most part has been maintained great. However, the fiberglass on the corner of the cab over bed has cracked and separated (apparently it did this quite a few years ago) I see he just siliconed it closed but of course now it's not. I know I need to remove all the silicone and patch this somehow but I'm VERY lost on what products I'm supposed to be using. Can I just use fiberglass epoxy resin, do I need to apply some fiberglass cloth first? Is there another product I should be using? I also want to paint it in the near future with epoxy boat paint if that affects which product I would need to use. I've attached a photo to probably better explain.

This doesn't appear to be a wrap-around, molded fiberglass connection (all fiberglass). It looks more like a seam issue where the underside is screwed into a support framework located in the cab-over area. If you're handy I'd suggest loosening what appears to be an aluminum panel underneath the [above] cab-over part an look inside. It may be a rotted wood frame that needs to be replaced and then resealed.
Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote