Crank for Scamp Vent broke - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #1

Name: Josh
Trailer: Scamp 13
Utah
Crank for Scamp Vent broke

I have a 1983 13ft. Scamp that has the egress hatch that measures 15x21. I had the vent up on the salt flats of Bonneville and we had a major windstorm that struck and blew the vent up. It broke the white plastic crank connected to the metal bar in the vent that cranks down the vent nice and tight. I called Scamp and they only sell the entire assembly for $80 but was wondering if there is another option that would work? I asked the Scamp guy if he even knew what it was called for searching purposes but he didn't know either. Anyone have any ideas?
jeckel30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel30 View Post
I have a 1983 13ft. Scamp that has the egress hatch that measures 15x21. I had the vent up on the salt flats of Bonneville and we had a major windstorm that struck and blew the vent up. It broke the white plastic crank connected to the metal bar in the vent that cranks down the vent nice and tight. I called Scamp and they only sell the entire assembly for $80 but was wondering if there is another option that would work? I asked the Scamp guy if he even knew what it was called for searching purposes but he didn't know either. Anyone have any ideas?
If it is just the handle, it is held on by one screw into the end of the splined shaft. Those are almost universal. try one of your window crank handles. If it is the same then any RV place will have both a knob version amd a crank version to choose from.
If it is the arm then maybe it can be repaired...GOT PICTURES?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #3

Utah
I really wish I would have taken pictures and I have searched all over and can't find any.

The white part is held on by two screws, one front and one back, and is mounted to screen portion.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Josh

Are you talking about a plastic part similar to the one at left in this picture?

It's from an old discussion here about a similar problem to yours- that fellow eventually contacted a manufacturer, results unknown...
Discussion at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...bly-25889.html
Also- if you have an RV wrecking yard near you it may be possible to scavenge this part from any RV of the same vintage.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel30 View Post
I really wish I would have taken pictures and I have searched all over and can't find any.

The white part is held on by two screws, one front and one back, and is mounted to screen portion.
Would the parts from a standard crank-up vent be the same ?They are both 14" front to back. If so, once again, the RV place would likely have parts.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #6

Name: garyc
Trailer: 1987 scamp 5th wheel
Florida
Registry
Camper world
garycoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm cheap, if you have all the pieces I'd try JB Weld. I have a package of that stuff permanently in my toolbox. It's a two-part epoxy, but I swear (not really) that the part would break someplace else before the JB Weld broke.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #8

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Josh

Are you talking about a plastic part similar to the one at left in this picture?

It's from an old discussion here about a similar problem to yours- that fellow eventually contacted a manufacturer, results unknown...
Discussion at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...bly-25889.html
Also- if you have an RV wrecking yard near you it may be possible to scavenge this part from any RV of the same vintage.

Francesca
The white piece is exactly it.

Tags
scamp