Cranks for Windows - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Posts: 6
Hi

I am in need of replacing the cranks for my windows in a '74 13 ft boler. I can open the windows, but need to push them closed from the inside, and duct tape them closed for highway driving to prevent them from coming open.

Does anyone have some tips on where I can find what I am looking for?
__________________

__________________
Jeff Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 73 Boler
Posts: 25
yes, you will have to do some drilling/grinding to get your old crank out, but they are still available and can be found at your local RV dealer. Be sure to take the part in with you as they will have to do a visual match with the current part. I had the same problem on one of my windows on my 73 boler, it was screwed shut when i bought the trailer but after i fixed the actual gear mechanism, the window works like a dream!

Its a bit of a sore spot to get the old crank out, and takes a bit of jimmying, but if you are patient and persistent, it will come out. Best of luck to you
__________________

__________________
Steveo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If you don't like the actual cranks, they also sell round knobs that fit. I put some on my condo's crank windows -- I think I got them at Home Despot.
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
You can find information too in the Helpful-Links. Click this link for Windows and Window Parts
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Posts: 6
Thanks for the tip, dismantling strarts this weekend. We have had this for about 4 years and have not done much to it. After finding this site, the energy is there to start working on getting it back to its original state!

Quote:
yes, you will have to do some drilling/grinding to get your old crank out, but they are still available and can be found at your local RV dealer. Be sure to take the part in with you as they will have to do a visual match with the current part. I had the same problem on one of my windows on my 73 boler, it was screwed shut when i bought the trailer but after i fixed the actual gear mechanism, the window works like a dream!

Its a bit of a sore spot to get the old crank out, and takes a bit of jimmying, but if you are patient and persistent, it will come out. Best of luck to you
__________________
Jeff Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 73 Boler
Posts: 25
Quote:
After finding this site, the energy is there to start working on getting it back to its original state!
Thats awesome! There really is nothing more rewarding that taking a problem, fixing it and then enjoying the fruits of your labour. The first time you roll down the road, you'll be able to think to yourself, man i'm glad i didn't have to get out the roll of duct tape!

Just one more thing, don't throw anything away until you have a replacement in hand.. I will take some pictures of my windows and post them a bit later to show how i have reattatched all of the little pieces.

cheers,

steve
__________________
Steveo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
I'm curious how many other mid-70s Bolers have Burdick windows in the rear sides. I had always assumed that they were all made by Hehr (indeed, the smaller crank-outs in the door and over the stove are), but then I noticed a small, faded sticker on the rear/side windows (the big squarish jalousies).

Well I found that there is still a Burdick in Canada and I e-mailed them, just to see if they still had any parts, or maybe a diagram of seals, or .... anything. The fellow in Calgary (where I first wrote) confirmed that they did make "aluminium torque windows" in the past but don't anymore. Nonetheless, he directed me to e-mail a different plant of theirs to inquire again. I'm not expecting much, but you never know. 'Twould be fun if someone had a parts list or... well, who knows.

I'm planning to remove those windows for resealing and have some questions, but I think I'll start a new thread since some people might not read a crank-specific one.

Steveo, I hope you'll chime in on that one

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 73 Boler
Posts: 25
Quote:
I'm curious how many other mid-70s Bolers have Burdick windows in the rear sides. I had always assumed that they were all made by Hehr (indeed, the smaller crank-outs in the door and over the stove are), but then I noticed a small, faded sticker on the rear/side windows (the big squarish jalousies).

I'm planning to remove those windows for resealing and have some questions, but I think I'll start a new thread since some people might not read a crank-specific one.

Steveo, I hope you'll chime in on that one
you know, its a shame that i scraped the stickers off of my windows. Would have been interesting to know who made them. I guess i will never know now!

And i can certainly pipe up on that thread, bascially did a full overhaul on both windows to get them into proper working order. It was an interesting adventure to find all of the different parts that i had to grind off/drill out. Luckily the neighbourhood canadian tire has just about everything that a guy could ever want!
__________________
Steveo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Des Nolan's Avatar
 
Name: Des and Diane (D & D)
Trailer: Boler 1300, 1977 (#2033, "L EGGO")
Ontario
Posts: 260
Hi,

I've found a way to save a lot of duct tape.

To stop the jalosie windows in our '77 boler from flapping while driving, I clip the lower edge to the window frame with one of those large binder clips. The folding handles can be squeezed and easily removed -- reinserted on arrival.



__________________
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Quote:
And i can certainly pipe up on that thread, bascially did a full overhaul on both windows to get them into proper working order. It was an interesting adventure to find all of the different parts that i had to grind off/drill out.
Steve,

With your experience it would be great to have your input into that thread.

Raya
__________________

__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
windows


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Darren S W Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 04-18-2010 03:49 PM
Surfside Window Cranks Alan P. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 07-01-2008 05:17 PM
Which Windows? RachelW General Chat 11 06-25-2008 06:17 PM
windows Jim Stacey Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 10-03-2007 01:17 PM
Do you do windows? Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 08-06-2003 09:00 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.