crazy question... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2007, 01:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
While on an excursion the other day I saw a pick up truck that was entirely covered in the stuff used to line truck beds and it was really pretty cool looking. On this site I have seen pics where people have used that stuff on the bottom fronts of the trailers to keep debris from chipping the finish... So my question is... has anyone ever covered their entire egg in this stuff? I see that it comes in white, and I am just curious as the thickness and texture of the stuff sure seems like it would cover up all the little inperfections in an older egg that really needs to be repainted anyway.

I don't know that I would dare to even attempt it, but do wonder if anyone else has and if there is any disadvantage to it- besides possible resale value!!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
I don't know that I would dare to even attempt it, but do wonder if anyone else has and if there is any disadvantage to it- besides possible resale value!!
Well, it weighs a lot.... I did the front lower side of my boler and used a quart (half a quart of each of 2 parts)... So to do a whole trailer is likely going to take on the order of 5 quarts of each part so figure 10 quarts of some pretty dense stuff...

Plus, if you get mud on it, it doesn't clean up all that nicely...

I have some on the wheel wells of my from when I removed the plastic garnish the truck came with.. It's held up ok but never quite seems to get 'clean', not that I care about that on my truck...
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Well, it weighs a lot.... I did the front lower side of my boler and used a quart (half a quart of each of 2 parts)... So to do a whole trailer is likely going to take on the order of 5 quarts of each part so figure 10 quarts of some pretty dense stuff...
Herb, sounds like you are happy with the job it did on the front. Do you remember the name, and source. Thanks!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
Herb, sounds like you are happy with the job it did on the front. Do you remember the name, and source. Thanks!
So far I'm happy but I haven'ty driven any gravel roads yet so don't know how it'll hold up to direct rock impact... My trucks don't have mud flaps... I applied it to the side of my truck as well as the front of the hood... In 2 years of driving in Calgary gravel-pit streets, it hasn't chipped off the front of the hood.

The stuff I used is "Hippo Liner" by Dominion Sure Seal which I got at Canadian Tire... I do note that it doesn't weather as welll as some of the professional grade stuff.. On my truck, I sprayed the wheel wells two years ago and it's already looking somewhat oxidized as compared to the freshly applied stuff on the boler (the stuff on the truck still looks black until it's parked next to the boler, which makes it look slightly more grey now).

Here it is on my truck:

http://www.beer.org/gallery/93-hzj80/IMG_0053?full=1

On my truck I used a schutz gun to apply it... The schutz gun basically sucks the goop up through a straw and shoots globules out of a small tube causing these globules to go flying everywhere including your garage floor... On the boler, I used the roller that came in the kit and I have to say the resulting texture is approximately the same as the schutz gun but took far less masking/protecting/cleaning and was easier to do...

For prep, I filled all the old chips with bondo, sanded the whole area with 180 grit on my air-sander, cleaned with silicone/wax/tar remover ("Sure Wipe" by dominion sure seal), masked and rolled on.

When I was done, I had some left on the roller so I rolled it across the top of the back bumper of the boler because my son likes to climb on it. Then it was covered up when I painted the bumper and so retains a bit of a non-skid texture.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
Well, we used a "deck coat" type stuff on our trailer---same goopy appearance--rubberized latex coating...BUT it does not wash up properly--we have white and the black lines from the atmoshere fallout just do NOT wash off.
It is aparently very hard to sand off and I am having a painter come over after holidays to see just what we can do to paint this trailer once and for all and PROPER..

BTW--I did go to ICI paints yetserday and they cringed when I talked about the stuff that Jayson used for his trailer---said it was too hard and would crack in the heat eventually and have spider cracks all over..... So I dunno????
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
I pulled all the inside liner out of my 72 Boler American and lined the entire inside with a grey colored bed liner - - I used about 1 gallon for the inside walls... it turned out OK. I will be doing a second coat after this camping weekend and will probably need to use another 1/2 gallon to fix certain spots... after that I think it'll look much better.

As far as weight goes? the weight of a gallon wasn't that bad? nothing more than weight of a gallon of paint?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05594.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	14225

after my 2nd/3rd coat in the inside, I am thinking about using the same product on the outside, I think it looks cool with that orange peal type of texture, only thing I'll be doing is adding carpet around my permanent bed in the back. That whole thing about rolling over and scratching your arm on the wall isn't that appealing.

also, covering up some of those random holes in the fiberglass was another reason I did it....
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
We just finished painting our 73 Boler with Durabak Bedliner. It went on with ease. We used 3 gallons on our 13 footer. (That was 3 coats.) i didn't weigh the product, it seems considerably lighter than a standard gallon of paint. We got just the look we were going for. We thought about doing the inside also, but opted for the comfort of ensolite. fortunately we have a supplier locally.
Attached Images

Jenny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:24 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If done in a light color, the stuf should add some insulation value.

I saw a Jeep Wrangler completely (inside and out) covered with the stuf in black -- It not only looked good but appealed directly to my lazy nature in terms of washing and waxing!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote