Creaking floor in 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Creaking floor in 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ

Hi All,

We have a 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ that we bought last May from the daughter of the original owner. It's in very good shape (except for the usual window-seal creep common to 2003-2005 models).

The only on-the-road camping we've done with it so far has been the trip bringing it down from Idaho where we picked it up to Phoenix, where I work. Our home is about 190 miles away, so I've been living in the Bigfoot for several months. We'll be hitting the road with the Bigfoot right after I retire at the end of March. The Bigfoot is the lap of luxury compared to our '97 17 foot Casita. It's great to have a walk-around bed and a lot of extra space, not to mention real insulation, but that's another story. Can't deny that the weight and size are more daunting than life in the Casita.

My wife and I have noticed that over the time we've had it, there has been a spread of a creaking noise coming from under the linoleum floor. It started in a spot between the oven and the fridge and is slowly moving towards the bathroom entrance.

I don't feel any softness below, it just creaks, like an old wooden floor in a house or apartment.

There is no indication of any kind of water damage in the trailer; no stains, no smell of mildew or anything like that. There is one spot on the forward corner of the bedroom window (driver's side) where the plastic/paper covering of the insulating wall material is a bit bulged away from the insulating foam behind. No staining, and we've never seen a leak when it rains.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the cause/meaning of the creaking floor, and what can be done to silence it, if anything.

My wife thinks it may just be the climate in Arizona - hot and dry - causing contraction and drying of the wood and possibly the glue that attaches the linoleum to the plywood below. That seems very logical, just want to make sure there is not a bigger problem we should do something about.

Thanks for any advice/comments.
Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #2

Name: Gregory
Trailer: Bigfoot
Michigan
I think

That is due to the floor joist span required to accommodate the large holding tank.
amsoilman1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Interesting, and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsoilman1949 View Post
That is due to the floor joist span required to accommodate the large holding tank.
Thanks Gregory. Have you encountered the same kind of problem in your Bigfoot?

The strange thing to me is that it seems to have gone from zero to annoying in an eight month period during which it's been parked in one place. Our Bigfoot has been occupied pretty much full-time since home is about 190 mi from where I work; I've been using it as a second home during the work week until we hit the road.

Not realistic to hope it will diminish once we get on the move (counter-intuitive). Still, I do hope...

Regards,
Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #4

Name: Gregory
Trailer: Bigfoot
Michigan
Mine is fine

Good luck!
amsoilman1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot