creating new storage access openings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Cool creating new storage access openings

We have a 2013 16ft. Scamp with the main dining table that we prefer to leave set up as a bed. The problem with that is it excludes us from easy access to the storage areas under the table benches. I'm giving some thought it into cutting some access openings into these storage compartments from under the bed. Not great access but better than going through the bed padding. Does anyone have any cautionary tales to share with regards to this consideration?
What is the best tool to make these cuts with?
rentonito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have installed "Baggage Compartment Doors on the outside of Scamps and others to get access to the dinette under seat areas. Baggage Compartment Doors, in all sizes and shapes, can be found on eBay

Also, what we do is find exact fit storage boxes and slide them under the bed when it is made up. Usually 4 will fit. The ones furthest in are easily pulled out with a simple "Back Scratcher", $1 at any flea market.

For cutting fiberglass, the cleanest tool that makes the least mess is the oscillating "Multi-Tool" found at Sears, Home Depot and Harbor Freight.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have done like Bob and installed a baggage door on the rear drivers side. I have installed an outside access panel on several Scamps. You may end up having to move either your city water or power connector access panel. I keep all my set up stuff stored under the rear seat. I just ordered a panel from Amazon last week and it's cost was about $50.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Any cuts I made in the fiberglass for access (inside) or to install my power converter in my Uhaul I did with a thin cut off wheel in an air die grinder. I reinforced the openings with plywood
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0154.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I use one of these, both inside and outside the camper....Craftsman.com
Old 07-30-2015, 06:41 AM   #6

Sorry Guys, using a cut-off wheel without a guard is a BAD IDEA.

I have a nice set of scars on my right leg, that look all the world like a sharks bite, from a cut-off wheel that disintegrated in use. Took 17 stiches to close it back up.

The afore mentioned "Muilti-Tool" has a metal oscillating blade that has almost no chance of coming apart in use.

Here is a link to a typical Multi-Tool. Other exist, both battery and plug in, and also at lower prices.
Craftsman.com

Old 07-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The oscillating tools are fantastic, and I have the finest one EVER made, the original Fein (BIG $$$$). But I have made all the cuts in the fiberglass of my Scamp with a fine tooth blade in a jigsaw. Just drill a hole to start, or at each end/corner and connect the holes. Don't breath the fine particles, and vacuum them up before you roll around in them, causing one heck of an itch. BTW, the cheap oscillating tools from Harbor Freight actually work pretty good and I used to buy them in multiples when on sale and give them to guys on my crews as a little bonus.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Yes, I added a cargo door to access the space under the left rear cushions.
I got one from a RV dealer. It is from a Coleman Pop-Up camper, has rounded corners. Scamp said it could not be done because of the curvature on the walls, but in the right place, the Door frame can pull the fiberglass flat.
I located the upper rear corner of the door where the shore power cord comes out. The upper edge of the door frame is screwed, with stainless screws, into the wood rail that supports the bed board. The sides and bottom are pop rivited through the fiberglass, using flat washers on the inside.
the electric cord is relocated forward with bulkhead connectors found at Menard's. the city water connection was not disturbed. The red side marker lamp had to be moved rearward. A bulkhead was added to keep the stuff from sliding forward into the water/electric area.
Start by removing the bed/dinette cushions and the wood deck so you can see what is inside there, and avoid damage to the wiring and plumbing that runs along the wall by the floor. I made a plywood cover to protect those lines from the junk we carry in there: Cables, Blocks, Hoses, etc.
To use the space under the bed, I made two long narrow,pull out, trays to store our inside stuff. Be sure to add cleats or stoppers to keep those trays or tote boxes from sliding forward while traveling.. any sudden stops.
Send my your e-mail and I can send photos. Lwgcollins@aol.com
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Send my your e-mail and I can send photos. Lwgcollins@aol.com
Can you post the pics for the rest of us also?

(If you want to PM me with your email and then send me the pics I will be glad to post them here for you if that's easier.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #10

Here's the one I put in my Hunter. Because it has 3 sided seating, it extends almost all the way across the front as well as back to the side of the water heater. I bought this for $12 on Ebay + about $9 shipping. Note that the hinge is at the bottom, much easier to use that way.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #11

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Hinge on the bottom or side would be better for sure! Glad you mentioned that. I'm considering putting at least two of these in our 16' Casita because it is so old that it didn't come with any.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We have a 2011 Scamp which is 13' long. We keep the bed set up most of the time. I don't know how different the bench storage in a 16' is from the 13'. The bench in our 13' on the "passenger" side holds the water tank and water hose and the bench on the other side can potentially hold our "roll-up" mattress pads (see photo) if we set up the table. When we need to access the water tank and hose we simply roll back the mattress pads and the cushions. I'm thinking, if you set up your bed the same way it will be easy for you to access the bench storage when you need to without drilling holes. In addition, we keep our two duffel bags filled with clothing under the table. Note: you can find my previous posts on bedding by searching on this forum. Go to "Search" tab, go to the bottom of the drop-down and do a "Google Search" enter "Gilda bedding"
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 026.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 025.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:28 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
What i do is take the side pillows that partly bend, lay them in the back, then place the front board on top making sort of a coffee table/end table, Now you have a place to lounge. I take the bed rolls with pillows fluffed around and place them on the side where the original pillow were. At night it just takes a few minutes to make the bed as it is supposed to be. Under the bed i have two containers holding stuff, easy to get to. I`ll take a photo tomorrow. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
What i do is take the side pillows that partly bend, lay them in the back, then place the front board on top making sort of a coffee table/end table, Now you have a place to lounge. I take the bed rolls with pillows fluffed around and place them on the side where the original pillow were. At night it just takes a few minutes to make the bed as it is supposed to be. Under the bed i have two containers holding stuff, easy to get to. I`ll take a photo tomorrow. Carl
Here the photos
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0770.JPG   DSCN0771.JPG  

DSCN0772.JPG   DSCN0774.JPG  

Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #15

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
It occurs to me that after staying in a trailer for a while we develop a new sense of space. The old saying is, "A place for everything and everything in it's place." In a small trailer may I suggest, "A place for several things and each thing in it's place, in it's turn."

We love our Little Joe. Flexible space has become our stock in trade when camping.