Creative moisture reduction ideas for camping in a fiberglass trailer? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #21

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
There are only two ways to reduce the humidity- dry it up with something that absorbs water (such as by running a dehumidifier) or by venting. As you say, venting won't work if it is humid outside. Heating inside will work only if the heater is electric (not possible when boondocking) or vented. Not breathing isn't an option! (Though I suppose you could sleep with CPap masks vented to the outside...)

So the other option is making it more comfortable to sleep with humidity. What bothers me most when it is humid is the sheets feeling damp, so I'd store them in an airtight container until just before bed. For a short trip you might bring a set of sheets for each night, for a longer one (if possible) dry outside during the driest part of the day. Or just omit sheets (cotton feels damp) and use something like a microfiber blanket, which will wick moisture better. As others have said, avoiding touching damp walls will help, too.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
I hope this works, I've not posted photos before...
It worked just fine and I think what you've accomplished looks really great I particularly love the texture of the bamboo on the ceiling. That really breaks up all the white.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How to Stop Car Windows Steaming Up - YouTube
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #24

Name: Andy
Trailer: Uhaul
Missouri
I'm think about insulating my Uhaul with alumanized bubble wrap from Lowes. It's very thin and could be glued to the inside surface of the outer skin. OR I could use some regular fiberglass batts in the lower storage areas. I also thought of sealing the narrow places between the outer and inner skin with spray foam to make an airtight chamber. I like the ideas of velcro attached insulation over the windows. How do I insulate the floor?
Thanks.... Andy
Andy Sigmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #25

Name: Andy
Trailer: Uhaul
Missouri
Insulating a Uhaul

I want to know the best way to insulate my Uhaul for winter camping. Should I use fiberglass insulation in the storage areas? Is stray foam good for sealing the thin spaces between the inner and outer skin? Should I put foam under the floor. I like the idea of attaching an insulated blanket over the windows. Ideas? Thanks.... Andy
Andy Sigmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 LD
Florida
A couple of comfort suggestions...

For sleeping, I have used balaclavas (not baklava, the nuts hurt and the honey...) made of synthetic knit or fleece. Keeps the head, ears and neck toasty without being buried in the sleeping bag. Usually picked up cheap at Sierra Trading Post.

Also, I love my synthetic pile, not fleece sleeping bags. Think fake fur. The longer fiber wicks moisture and allows for better ventilation than nylon sleeping bag material or even polartec fleece. It also makes a great Florida bag in summer, not zipped of course.

The pile has worked so well I had mattress pads and pillow covers made for home use. They are sort of funky looking but are easy to clean.
PC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Andy, are you on the Uhaul Facebook group? A couple owners there have used the reflectrix insulation and discussed how to do it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #28

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I insulated my floor with the fiber cloth insulation used in RV's. Then I laid carpet over it. because I camp in cold weather. I also insulated with closed cell foam under the cushions in winter.
I WOULD NOT recommend the spray foam anywhere in the camper. It is highly flameable, caustic, and makes a big fat mess.
Some people have used Reflectix bubble insulation behind cabinets and in the inner shell of ceiling, others have used carpet in the lower cabinets. I WOULD NOT USE THE FIBERGLASS INSULATION ANYWHERE! THE GLASS FIBERS GET IN THE AIR YOU BREATH AND ON YOU IF YOU HAVE TO GET INTO THE COMPARTMENTS. Campers vibrate while in travel. Pardon me if I misspell a lot.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #29

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Felix 2, what is a cup washer? Like your ceiling.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote