Creative moisture reduction ideas for camping in a fiberglass trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Creative moisture reduction ideas for camping in a fiberglass trailer?

I find camping on a dry night fine, but when it is really damp outside I have not been able to fine a way to keep the dampness out of the trailer. We have 4 of us sleeping inside a 13 ft Boler, so we create the problem.

Opening the vent or turning the vent fan on only seems to help on nights when it is not really damp outside.

A 120 volt dehumidifier is not an option as we camp without hook ups.

Wiping the moisture off the windows works, but I would rather not wake up in the night.

We switched to fleece sheets, and that made a huge difference in comfort.

With the exception of the windows the trailer is dry inside, but the moisture does make it less comfortable.

Has anyone found a solution or have any ideas of where to look?
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
air conditioning is the only way when there is moisture outside, you want to remove the moisture to be comfortable and that is what it will do, even as low as 70 degrees but with 95% humidity it feels a lot hotter.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #3

Alberta
LOL, we are worried about it feeling cold at night.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
vent fan and open windows a crack will deal with your exhaled moisture but not going to lower inside humidity below outside humidity without AC or dehumidifier.

Window moisture may be a result of temp differential between wamer inside and cooler outside. Same as a cold beverage in a glass gets condensation on a warm day. Your window with cold outside air on one side and warmer inside air may be creating condensation on the warm side.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Some owners have had success by cutting and mounting reflectix *or vehicle windshield covers) and affixing those to the windows. You're looking to create a barrier between the outside and the inside. Covering the windows with insulation helps.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We always keep some windows and the vent open at least a crack. Never had a problem with moisture buildup, but there are only two us plus two tiny furbabies. We don't cook or wash dishes inside either and that probably helps.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Some owners have had success by cutting and mounting reflectix *or vehicle windshield covers) and affixing those to the windows. You're looking to create a barrier between the outside and the inside. Covering the windows with insulation helps.
I know my insulated mug does not sweat so this suggestion sounds to me like a really good idea to try.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
You can try a 12 volt dehumidifier. Here's one available from Wally World. assuming you have a way to keep the battery power up, like with solar.
Sunpentown Mini Dehumidifier SD-652 - Walmart.com

This forum talks about diy solar dehumidifiers.
DIY solar dehumidifier - EcoRenovator

I think running a fan usually helps too along with ventilation.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #9

Name: Raymond
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Try these dehumidifies. They are pellets that absorb the moisture out of the air no electricity needed.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...dri-z-air/4735
Rpryor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #10

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I remember that on our maiden trip home to California from Backus, Minnesota in late August 2011 we had a problem with condensation. The worst part was when the bedding got wet from the condensation dripping from the back emergency vent. In addition, the fiberglass surfaces were moist. It was uncomfortable if your head was near a fiberglass surface when sleeping because it was cold and wet. I, too, noticed that this happened when all the windows and vents were shut tight.

Since that trip I crack open at least one window and one ceiling vent if there is no threat of rain when I go to bed. That usually takes care of the condensation and provides a refreshing exchange of air. In addition I have created block-out shades that not only block out artificial lights and sunlight but also serve as insulation (see photo). The block out shade at our head is sealed all the way across with the hook side of hook and loop fabric, AKA Velcro, (and the window is shut closed) so no cold air flows down on our faces (on cold nights). The other block-out shades only have bits of hook fabric on the bottom so as to let in the air from slightly open windows.

I also have a block-out/anti-drip system for the roof vents. I simply cut a square of "flannelized rubber" (available at baby supply stores) and sewed a bit of the hook side of hook and loop fabric to the corners. This fabric is then "hooked" onto the rooftop "ratfur". Any small drips of condensation are absorbed by the flannel and it blocks out a bit of the light (not totally).

For comfort in bed as well as to protect the rat fur from getting aged too fast I surround the upper walls of my bed with a baby crib bumper! ($5 from the thrift store) I simply sew a few bits of the hook fabric onto the back side on top of the bumper and attach it to the "rat fur". You can also place the bumper at the side head of the bed to eliminate touching the cold fiberglass. The bumper also serves to cover those nasty metal table catches on the wall. (See photo). Note also the net mesh pockets I added to the curtains for nighttime storage (Kleenex, eyeglasses, lightweight flashlight) and the cloth pockets that are attached to the rat fur. You also get a glimpse of my "glamping" (glamorous camping) decor. This was my Hiking in Autumn theme!

'Hope these additional ideas help.
Attached Thumbnails
019.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 030.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Those curtain pockets are a novel idea.......I like it.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
we open a window, usually the back one (as we can shut it if it rains w/o getting up) and have our fantastic fan blowing out.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #13

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Same here, Bill. I can close the slider with my big toe and have done but the bride shuts down the fan. Jealousie windows would be nice!

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #14

Alberta
Thanks for all the ideas!! I think we will try a small chemical dehumidifier on those really damp nights, otherwise the vent and window.

I am also looking at making insulated covers for the windows, so we can camp in the winter (although in the winter I will want a site with power).
Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Chris, I'm a believer and a user of the Dri-Z-Air passive dehumidifer. BUT, it doesn't work quickly, just efficiently for storage purposes. I don't think it would work well during a camping trip.... As sad/bad as this sounds... you need to normalize the temperature. If the outside ambient temperature is 35 degrees and the inside is 65 degrees... you ARE going to have condensation.

My suggestion is to sleep warm... sleeping bag, hotwater bottle, electric blanket... whatever works for you. But NO furnace or cube heater running. AND wear a HAT . The closer the inside temperature is to the outside temperature.. the less condensation. And leave the top vent open and maybe a window cracked. Just don't stop breathing
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #16

Alberta
Thanks, we don't use a heater. The condensation is not an issue. Just want to reduce the night time dampness, when the outside is so damp venting doesn't help.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #17

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
I just last evening started installation of sheet cork on my exterior walls around the dinettes.I bought rolls of sticky-back cork (the brand that says 'permanent adhesive' on it - not the Contact brand, which doesn't stick well), and cut it to the right height. It should provide insulation and keep the damp wall away from the bedding. looks nice too, since it covers the glue the PO used to adhere awful, musty carpet to the walls! I'll post pix when I finish it tonight.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Jim pointed out in another thread that moisture can build on the edges of the bed, as well as underneath the mattress. He used a product designed for the boating industry to line the mattress & give it some breathing space.

He used a product called Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting from Defender. I found a similar material a bit thinner called DryMesh. In either case, these products won't help with condensation on windows, but are useful for preventing mold or mildew around your mattress.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #19

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
I hope this works, I've not posted photos before...

Here's the sheet cork around the dinette, with and without the (brand new custom-made!) cushions. Pillows will fill in the voids. Hopefully the cork will keep condensation from soaking bedding, and will add insulation too.

Also attached is the bamboo ceiling - (idea stolen from this forum, thank you very much). First I used double-stick tape to hold Reflectix up, then more double stick to hold up the bamboo, then I used stainless steel screws with cup washers to hold up a strong yet pliable polystyrene molding strip from Home Depot to hold it all in place. Looks great but it'll be a little tricky forming it with a heat gun around some curves at the windows to finish it off. (I tried it on scrap, and if you don't hold the heat gun too close, it won't bubble the surface yet will allow quite a bit of bending).

Getting closer to the maiden voyage!!
Attached Thumbnails
burro interior 2.jpg   burro interior 3.JPG  

burro interior 1.JPG  
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Wow that looks very nice!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote