Creepy Crawly Things - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This time of the year spiders and such seem to want to change their residence. They’d much rather live inside that out. In my house we’ll use a spider spray to keep at bay. I have some conerns using the same stuff in a trailer where there's so much fabric. What do you do to keep them out your trailers?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Pipe in an endless loop of accordian music.

That'll keep them from going in.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:

Oh, for goodness sake, Byron. JUST GET A "SPIDER MONKEY". I bet Gina knows where to find 'em.
Kristi Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:

Maybe it's time Gina went to her room..
Old 09-28-2006, 11:15 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Oh, for goodness sake, Byron. JUST GET A "SPIDER MONKEY". I bet Gina knows where to find 'em.

I thought the only kind of monkeys Gina knew about were them flying kind.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
I thought the only kind of monkeys Gina knew about were them flying kind.

Oops, I hope she hasn't found her broom yet.
Wouldn't want show on my door step mad. Them bites in the knee caps hurt.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:20 PM   #7

Registry
I am the room senderer, buddy!

Don't forget that now.

Now, go to your room, spiders and all.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Quote:
[b] I am the room senderer, buddy!

Don't forget that now.

Now, go to your room, spiders and all.
Ah Now don't forget the bag pipes to drive any living thing away. I have been using moth balls to drive the rats away in case they decide to invade the travel trailer I live in. I live by a river and the mouth of the bay (ocean) so lots of wild life around here, and not all are welcome.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:41 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Instead of killing the spiders that have already entered your trailer, maybe you could try to keep them from getting inside in the first place. How are they getting in? Could you add some fine stainless steel mesh or netting there to prevent their entry?

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I'm always concerned about insecticides in closed spaces. Seems like if they would do a number on spiders, they might also do a number on me.

But I do know a good way to get racoons out of an attic, shed or other closed space. Just take a trip to your grocery or dollar store and purchase a gallon or so of ammonia. Then gather up a few old towels and saturate them with the ammonia and toss it into the area where the racoons are. Probably work with ferrel cats. Don't know about spiders.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:00 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I have been using moth balls to drive the rats away in case they decide to invade the travel trailer I live in.
Moth balls may work on mice, but I can attest that they don't faze Norway Rats -- In a former life I lived in a house and had a pet rat named Ratbertha -- She had a habit when out of her cage for supervised excercise and fun of hiding under a low piece of furniture and then taking a nap, kinda like a vacation home -- This became inconvenient when I wanted to leave (one CAN'T leave a rat unsupervised as they will get into more trouble than an unsupervised two-yearold human) -- I decided to put moth balls under the piece of furniture -- First time out after that, when she was running around again, I noticed that she was carrying a moth ball in her teeth back to her cage -- Checking the cage, I found she had already put a couple in one corner -- From that sample of one experience, I believe I can state that the effectiveness of moth balls on rats is questionable.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #12
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Use a pyrethrin spray. It's a powerful insecticide but has a very short-lived residual effect (maybe less than 24 hours; be sure to read the label, other ingredients may be included in the product).

Or, get a couple of pet geckos.

(But not both; the pyrethrin is toxic to geckos.)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Quote:
Moth balls may work on mice, but I can attest that they don't faze Norway Rats -- In a former life I lived in a house and had a pet rat named Ratbertha -- She had a habit when out of her cage for supervised excercise and fun of hiding under a low piece of furniture and then taking a nap, kinda like a vacation home -- This became inconvenient when I wanted to leave (one CAN'T leave a rat unsupervised as they will get into more trouble than an unsupervised two-yearold human) -- I decided to put moth balls under the piece of furniture -- First time out after that, when she was running around again, I noticed that she was carrying a moth ball in her teeth back to her cage -- Checking the cage, I found she had already put a couple in one corner -- From that sample of one experience, I believe I can state that the effectiveness of moth balls on rats is questionable.
You have me in stitches this am. Pete. Who would have thunk that your rat would have found the moth balls to her liking. A friend fiberglassed a hole I had by the wheel well and the next night I could once again hear gnawing. (shudder in my shoes). A neighbour decided to fiberglass the hole over with a kit inside and outside. Because it was now locked in he gnawed his way through the fiberglass sure enough. Now I have stuffed it with steel wool until I can use the thin metal sheets I will place over the hole.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 87 Casita Liberty Deluxe (restored)
You might try spraying under the trailer, around wheels and cord entrances. If under trees try spraying the roof too.

I know it is best to get them before they enter. Good luck!
don bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #15

Registry
Gina's been so helpful that I figured out how to solve the problem. I got them all plane tickets and sending them to Gina. I sure they'll enjoy sunny souther California more than wet Oregon.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #16

Registry
No problem. They will have lots of company. There are lots of ones here that are silky black with red hour glasses on thier tummys.

Here you check, double check, and check again before you put your hand anywhere thats dark and smelly.

Like my shoes..

Sissy spiders.. sheez!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:36 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
No problem. They will have lots of company. There are lots of ones here that are silky black with red hour glasses on thier tummys.

Here you check, double check, and check again before you put your hand anywhere thats dark and smelly.

Like my shoes..

Sissy spiders.. sheez!
Hi: As for "how to keep them at bay" Rent a site at Bay and keep them there!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote