critters - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Name: Gardner
Trailer: Casita Patriot

Does anybody have any experience with preventing critters from destroying your egg? I'm going to be in a position where I have to leave mine parked for the Summer in a campground and I'm only going to be able to check in on it during the weekends. Because of this I am concerned about mice getting inside and and destroying things while I'm gone. What do you guys think, just set up some mouse traps Monday morning and hope for the best?

Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
I'd be afraid of the smell if a mouse dies on monday afternoon and you don't open the door again until Friday night (whew!). Check for the same things you would when putting it up for the winter such as any penetrations in the hull that a mouse can squeeze through (and they can get through some small spaces). Also, make sure that no food is in anything chewable in the trailer. I've heard of people putting mothballs in storage areas, but the smell might linger all weekend. I can't take the smell of mothballs and have never used them.

Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I have a small gap at the bottom of my door. I bought stainless steel wool pads and taped them across the bottom and slammed the door on them. Mice won't chew through steel wool. I think the way it feels on their teeth creeps them out.

I also used a stainless steel sink strainer from the dollar store to seal my furnace exhaust and glued screen inside my stove vent exit to keep out bees.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Had a Honda Civic the mice got into. What a mess. Chewed wires. Nests every where. They got in through the ventilation intake under the hood in front of the windshield. It doesn't take a very large opening. When I put the trailer up for the winter I put a piece of aluminum screen behind the lower fridge vent door. I haven't worried about the upper vent or the furnace intake since they are higher up. The only other way in is through the gap around the door where they would have to chew through the seal first. No issues in 8 years. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Send a message via AIM to Donna R

Years ago a dear friend told me what she used in a tiny cabin to ward off mice.
I found it hard to believe, but we have done the same thing in 3 fg trailers that are stored outside and also in a barn over the winter and spring.

LOTS and LOTS of whole cupboards, on shelves, in drawers.
By LOTS, I mean handfuls at each spot.(fresh each season and about a pound each trailer)

In 3 years of doing this , there has never been a critter inside any trailer.
We also do this in a small cottage that is empty for 7 months a year.
Did find one mouse in the cottage last year but I think I skimped on the cloves a bit.

Both cottage and trailers smell WONDERFUL when we open the doors again.....and are a totally non toxic solution that has worked very well for us.
Couldn't believe would work until we tried it.

(hate mothballs and they are toxic as well)
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
If you have the option of keeping it plugged into electricity, one of those plug in devices with sound they do not like might work.
I am using bounce sheets, the trailer smells nice.
Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
I've heard the bounce sheets and the mothballs work....but as I saw on another rv forum, "the mice just use the bounce sheets for blankets and the mothballs to play soccer".

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to put traps under the trailer ( outside )....or maybe that will just attract them to your neck of the woods !

Another thing that might work is a product called Bonide "repels-all". I bought a container of it ( it's dry granules ) at Lowe's because I had a badger that kept hanging around under my front porch. I sprinkled this stuff all around there, and he left. It's non-posionous ( I didn't want to take a chance of a cat or dog getting into poison ). It says on the container it repels rats, but does not mention mice. Go figure. It's cheap enough...only about $15-$20 for a big jug of it. Maybe sprinkle a perimeter of it around the underside of the trailer on the ground ?
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
When away for the winter we put a lot of mothballs under the car left in the garage. Didn't think about doing that with our Egg Camper. You could get underneath and look for any small opening and then stuff it with steel woll. Might also caulk those openings first.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Name: Gardner
Trailer: Casita Patriot
I like the cloves idea. I do have full time electricity so I'll probably try one of those sound devices too. Thanks all

Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote