Crossing the U.S. in winter - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #21

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Burro 13 ft, 1984
Massachusetts
Thanks Steve, it had brakes which were very deteriorated and not repairable according to the truck and trailer place I took it to. They said replacement parts aren't available and they recommended taking off all the brake hardware so it wouldn't come apart and jam a wheel while I was driving. So that's what I did. From what I've been told brakes aren't really needed on a small trailer - but I see that you have a 13' Scamp, does it have brakes?
wenrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Brakes are always a plus and in New York State are required on RV's over 1000 lbs. In about 16 other states the limit is at 1500 lbs. and I doubt if a Burro going down the road would come under the 1500 lb. limit.

Hopefully some other Burro owners will chime in about replacement brake parts.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
Excellent advise. After my first trip south, when I didn't know that Missouri interstates were not salted when ice covered, I wait until the traffic has broken through the slick stuff.
Oregon doesn't salt roads either AND as an Oregonian I'm glad (Tree hugger here.)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #24

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oregon doesn't salt roads either AND as an Oregonian I'm glad (Tree hugger here.)
I wasn't displeased to find no salt! It's just that I had driven on salted roads acrossed Iowa. By noon, traffic and the sun had cleared the ice. There was just the experience of driving for an hour on ice.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #25

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I wouldn't even hitch up on snow. Or ice. But I'm from AZ, so what do I know!
I even had snow going west to Tucson. Probably the only year that ever happened!

Wendy, I can only say that you want to go as far south as possible and I am another one who would not want to drive, much less pull a trailer, in snow. Would avoid the Rockies for sure.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:42 AM   #26

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Brakes are always a plus and in New York State are required on RV's over 1000 lbs. In about 16 other states the limit is at 1500 lbs. and I doubt if a Burro going down the road would come under the 1500 lb. limit.

Hopefully some other Burro owners will chime in about replacement brake parts.
Hi, Wenrob,
You can check this map to know the requirements of each States or Provinces.

Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenrob View Post
Thanks Steve, it had brakes which were very deteriorated and not repairable according to the truck and trailer place I took it to. They said replacement parts aren't available and they recommended taking off all the brake hardware so it wouldn't come apart and jam a wheel while I was driving. So that's what I did. From what I've been told brakes aren't really needed on a small trailer - but I see that you have a 13' Scamp, does it have brakes?
Yes my Scamp has brakes wouldn't have it without brakes. You don't need brakes until you really need them and then you wish you really had them. I feel more comfortable that the brakes are there. Driving in LA traffic it can make all the difference.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hi, Wenrob,
You can check this map to know the requirements of each States or Provinces.

Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
I don't know if there have been any changes since that list was printed (2007), but here's a list that is updated on a regular basis.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
I even had snow going west to Tucson. Probably the only year that ever happened!

Was that 4 winters ago by chance? I hit a couple of road closers due to heavy snow in Arizona one December. Ended up heading west to Calf. to find warmer weather.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
What are you towing it with?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
We left Kentucky December 3rd last year and headed south before we headed west. Spent the next 9 weeks traveling to and around Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and then back mid February. We just watched the weather and headed for places that were above freezing. We did see some snow and weather below freezing but it just made the trip interesting. I will do it again this year as soon as I get done with jury duty.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #32

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
We're up for what I hope is a non-adventure at the same time. To help us decide if we really want a trailer we've rented one located in Denver for two months this winter. We'll be going to the Keys and back.

35 or 40 years ago there was an interview with Andy Warwhol in the NYTimes Magazine section which discussed his 8 hour movie called Sleep. He said "I like boring things". I too "...like boring things" particularly concerning winter driving.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:01 AM   #33

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I don't know if there have been any changes since that list was printed (2007), but here's a list that is updated on a regular basis.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
Hi Bob, I wrote to the support technician to the site "http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws"
and look at the answer:

=================================
RE: Brakebuddy feedback
Brake Buddy (brakebuddy@hopkinsmfg.com)
brakebuddy@hopkinsmfg.com

Gilles,

Unfortunately yes that is the last time that site was updated. They are currently working on a new website and once it launches it will have the up to date laws on it. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Josh Brothers | Tech Support
Hopkins Manufacturing Corporation | 428 Peyton Street, Emporia, KS 66801
P: 800-835-0129 Ext. 8472 | Email: josh.brothers@hopkinsmfg.com

==============================
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #34

Massachusetts
Thanks for the info on brakes. I think my Burro is around 1,000 pounds - I plan to get it weighed at my local recycling center to be sure. I'll start another thread asking other Burro owners about brakes. At this point since I had all the remaining brake hardware removed, it would be like starting over. So far I've taken it on two trips, one about four hours and the other ten hours, both with some significant hills and hairpin turns, and I had no problem braking with just the car. But I haven't driven on snowy or icy roads... and I sure won't go out of my way to do that!
Old 10-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It's a case of, 'you can pay me now, or pay me later'.
Your vehicle brakes are going to need service and replacement more frequently if you tow without brakes on the trailer.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Thanks for the info on brakes. I think my Burro is around 1,000 pounds - I plan to get it weighed at my local recycling center to be sure. I'll start another thread asking other Burro owners about brakes. At this point since I had all the remaining brake hardware removed, it would be like starting over. So far I've taken it on two trips, one about four hours and the other ten hours, both with some significant hills and hairpin turns, and I had no problem braking with just the car. But I haven't driven on snowy or icy roads... and I sure won't go out of my way to do that!
Fortunately you can buy replacement brakes as a complete package, backing plates, brake shoes, hardware and drums in one package. Check at the trailer (not RV) shop and have them look at what you have.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #37

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
travelling US in winter

Quote:
Hi All,
Does anyone have experience towing a small trailer across the country in winter? I have a 13' Burro and I'm thinking of going from Massachusetts to Southern CA to visit family for Thanksgiving. I would probably take one of the southern routes but I'm worried about crossing the Rockies. Any advice?

Wendy
make sure you have chains for your tow vehicle as it is law to carry them, learn how to install them so your ready in case you have to use them.
I find by cutting a piece of 2x6 or 8 about 8" long or to fit in between the chains then lay the chains out carefully then back up onto the boards and stop. Get out and install the chains also should have some short bungees to hold chains tight to the rim so not sloppy and bouncing around, soon as out of the snow remove them, will last longer that way. Bungees maybe 3 to start with as one usually loses 1 now and again.
I envy you going from cold to warmth.
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #38

Massachusetts
Thanks for all the good information - I hadn't thought about chains. I don't really understand about backing up onto the boards, but I'll practice with the chains and figure something out. I love this site - everyone is so helpful!
Old 10-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #39

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
if you use the boards

Quote:
Thanks for all the good information - I hadn't thought about chains. I don't really understand about backing up onto the boards, but I'll practice with the chains and figure something out. I love this site - everyone is so helpful!
it gets your car up in the air so the chains are free and clear, much easier to put your chains on. I have to put them onto our 19.5 Tires when we hit snow going down I-5 and this is how I do it to make my life easier no hangs because were sitting high and dry above the snow and chains are not under the tires causing me to curse and go back and move the MH 1or2"'s especially if by myself.
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #40

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Was that 4 winters ago by chance? I hit a couple of road closers due to heavy snow in Arizona one December. Ended up heading west to Calf. to find warmer weather.
It was a year there were record cold temps in the Midwest and elsewhere. I was one day ahead of them and then one day ahead of snow following me west, although I did get a little in Oklahoma I think. Expected to swim outside when near Mexico but it was darn cold and didn't do much of that. Never know how it is going to be except for way too cold coming and going from the Midwest --- which is a good reason to go down there --- usually.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote