CT-13 Main Bunk bed hinge dimensions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #1

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
CT-13 Main Bunk bed hinge dimensions

To All,
Thanks to all for the wonderful info I have gotten these last few months to help with my
restoration!

I am presently trying to replace the front bunk bed hinge in my '85 CT-13 and really want to
do it as accurately as possible. If anyone could measure their oringinal hinge dimensions
( LxW and it's thickness and knuckle width in inches or mms) it would really help in my hunt.
There is also one side that is bent 90 degrees but, I believe I can figure that out if I get the
other dimensions

Any info on this will be greatly appreciated!!!

don
'85 CT13
" Sometimes the hunt is better than the catch "
djtriceflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
The hinge is aluminum set 1 5/8" from edge of bunk. The hinge has an "L" shape with the flat part 1 3/4" and the "L" 1" offset from bunk with 2 3/8" on bunk. The flat part attaches onto the window ledge. Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails
2011-11-07_15-49-00_785.jpg   2011-11-07_15-49-46_81.jpg  

Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
See, Don,

Told you that you would get help here. The hubby and I can't help on this question, because we have a VT that has a very different bunk. It is a kind of hammock for the upper bunk.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #4

Florida
Registry
Very Excellent Info, THANKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat B Ohio View Post
The hinge is aluminum set 1 5/8" from edge of bunk. The hinge has an "L" shape with the flat part 1 3/4" and the "L" 1" offset from bunk with 2 3/8" on bunk. The flat part attaches onto the window ledge. Does this help?

That really helps. The hinge appears to be positioned so as to give the
bunk the right height when folded up and bring it snug to the front bulhead when folded down. Now, to find a hinge that is big enough as 2 3/8" + 1" = 3 3/8" or probably 3 1/2" on one side that is needed to create the bend for the L shape. I Thank you and I really appreciate the info and your pictures!!!

Of course if anyone has one they wish to sell please contact me!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #5

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
See, Don,

Told you that you would get help here. The hubby and I can't help on this question, because we have a VT that has a very different bunk. It is a kind of hammock for the upper bunk.

CindyL
You were right CindyL, Thanks!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
You were right CindyL, Thanks!
Good luck with the hinge! I hope you have better luck than I had when I was looking for a replacement for the VT bathroom door hinge. It was broken, and I never did find one. Kevin fused it together with liquid weld, and we moved it from its spot on the door, so it did not take as much pressure. I think, if we have to replace it, we will have to have one fabricated.

CindyL
Old 11-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
Hi Don; Heres the good news. I removed the bunk from my 84 CT. I kept the hinge. If they are the same you can have it.The Bunk itself was a cobbed up thing that was not original or worth keeping. I will take some time later today and apply the dimensions listed in the previous post. PM me when you get a chance. Mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #8

Massachusetts
Quote:
To All,
Thanks to all for the wonderful info I have gotten these last few months to help with my
restoration!

I am presently trying to replace the front bunk bed hinge in my '85 CT-13 and really want to
do it as accurately as possible. If anyone could measure their oringinal hinge dimensions
( LxW and it's thickness and knuckle width in inches or mms) it would really help in my hunt.
There is also one side that is bent 90 degrees but, I believe I can figure that out if I get the
other dimensions

Any info on this will be greatly appreciated!!!

don
'85 CT13
" Sometimes the hunt is better than the catch "
Don: I measured it and it looks good. Its only 30 inches long, shorter than I remembered it. Mike
Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #9

Don, my upper bunk plywood base has hinged wings to accommodate folding it down. If you need that info I could unzip the cover and check. My bunk will easily hold up to 200 pounds. Very sturdy. I am placing a pair of bunk sockets in my remodel to add a canvas child bunk/storage. Remember that the resulting bench when folded down is too narrow for a real couch. With the shelf offset, plywood, and mattress, the seat is only about 12" deep.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #10

Florida
Registry
Fantastic news

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.mike View Post
Don: I measured it and it looks good. Its only 30 inches long, shorter than I remembered it. Mike
Mike, THANKS SO VERY MUCH INDEED! I sent you a PM, I hope you got it,
as I am new at that stuff. I will try again if it does not work, but, YES, YES, YES, that is wonderful and would really help!!!
don
Old 11-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #11

Florida
Registry
Very good info, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat B Ohio View Post
Don, my upper bunk plywood base has hinged wings to accommodate folding it down. If you need that info I could unzip the cover and check. My bunk will easily hold up to 200 pounds. Very sturdy. I am placing a pair of bunk sockets in my remodel to add a canvas child bunk/storage. Remember that the resulting bench when folded down is too narrow for a real couch. With the shelf offset, plywood, and mattress, the seat is only about 12" deep.
Pat B,
Thank you for the information, and your other info was very excellent as well. I have that hinged wing info from Bridget so I believe I'll have enough to go by. I did not know the couch seat would only be 12" deep, when folded down, so I guess that is why the PO removed it. But, I need the bunk so will have to live with that. If you decide to leave it out on your
remodel PLEASE keep me in mind as I would rather buy an original than
build one. I was going to make the plywood 5/8" thick. I know yours is all covered but does that sound about right without having to take your's apart? Thanks again!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #12

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.mike View Post
Hi Don; Heres the good news. I removed the bunk from my 84 CT. I kept the hinge. If they are the same you can have it.The Bunk itself was a cobbed up thing that was not original or worth keeping. I will take some time later today and apply the dimensions listed in the previous post. PM me when you get a chance. Mike
Mike, I am new at this and not sure if I am doing a PM correctly. But,
ABSOLUTELY, that is wonderful news! If my PM did not go through maybe you could PM me so as to create the link.
Thank you very much INDEED!

don '85 CT-13
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #13

I did the little table mod and will be adding a canvas sling bunk. It will use an air mattress for comfort. I used a 1x6 at the door to allow for a folding bug screen attachment and foundation for the bunk sockets. Next to the kitchen another 1x6 will act as a base for a shelf, bunk and seat back storage area. this will reduce the weight about 25 pounds. Not in yet or I would send you a pic.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #14

Registry
That is what the VTs have for an upper bunk, a canvas sling. However, we don't have the front couch. We have a 2-person dinette that becomes a single bed. Our single daughter uses the conversion when she camps with us.

CindyL
Old 11-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #15

Massachusetts
Quote:
Mike, I am new at this and not sure if I am doing a PM correctly. But,
ABSOLUTELY, that is wonderful news! If my PM did not go through maybe you could PM me so as to create the link.
Thank you very much INDEED!

don '85 CT-13
Don: I received your PM, The hinge will be on its way shortly. Probably UPS, I'll let you know when its coming. Mike
Old 11-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #16

Florida
Registry
That's wonderful but I owe you...

Mike,
Please let me know your address or I'll get it when the hinge comes so I can at least pay for the shipment! This is really great to get an original one!!!

I must give a big THANKS INDEED again to you and Mrs. CindyL . Without
CindyL, I probably would not have thought about posting this message over here, as, she mentioned more viewers here than on the Uhaulcamper website.

don '85 CT-13
Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Don, Its funny to think that a few years back, I also would have had a hinge for you. I took my bunk out and disposed of the components (a friend took the hinge, I believe). When the bunk folded down it made the seat very shallow and I wanted to have the widest possible couch area to cozy up on and read while camping.
Good luck with your remod and be sure to post photos!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #18

Florida
Registry
Great help on this forum, THANKS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Don, Its funny to think that a few years back, I also would have had a hinge for you. I took my bunk out and disposed of the components (a friend took the hinge, I believe). When the bunk folded down it made the seat very shallow and I wanted to have the widest possible couch area to cozy up on and read while camping.
Good luck with your remod and be sure to post photos!
Thanks Pam and ALL for the great info. I took CindyL's advice and posted over here and was greatly pleased with how helpful this forum has been!

To think that Mike is actually giving me his hinge is mind boggling!
I realize that the sofa seating depth will be smaller but really need the extra bunk so will have to live with that. Maybe , if I make the upper bunk foam half as thick it will create several more inches of seating depth?
Anyway, thanks again and I will try to get some pics uploaded eventually..
Old 11-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don, once you get the hinge (how cool is that!), please post a picture of just the hinge. It may be helpful for other U-Haul owners who are or will be looking for the same thing

Isn't paying it forward grand!?!?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #20

Registry
I am glad that this worked out. Someone will have to post the pix of the couch area of a CT. I am having a hard time imagining what this looks like and is constructed and why the couch is impacted. However, as I write this, I remember a ledge on our Burro that would have impeded the couch if we used it. We converted the front to a dinette and used its ledge to hold condiments .

I have yet to see a CT in person.

CindyL