Curtain for Bed Area - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Curtain for Bed Area

I'm playing with DIY ice cooler air conditioners. I would like to put a temporary curtain up to reduce the area that needs to be cooled. I'm thinking of just trying to cool the bed area. My bed stays a bed all the time.

One option is to follow the curve of the roof and the other is just to go straight across, I think following the curve would look nicer, but straight cross would probably be easier.

I need ideas on how to fasten a rod for either option. I'd like something that can be removed without leaving screw holes, etc.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Check out post #3 in this thread:

Flooring and curtains today.

Thought it was pretty clever when I saw it. It would, I think, require some small holes, but only in the interior cabinets, not through the shell. It could be retracted and the curtain removed when not needed. Don't know how heavy a curtain it would support without sagging - you want something with some degree of thermal insulation. You could probably ask the poster via PM.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I just installed the IKEA tension wire system in my son's pop-up. Very east to install. I used clip type curtain hangers, but you will have to put a hole through the hull in both sides.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Check out post #3 in this thread:
Thanks. I will check my trailer tomorrow and see if that might work for me.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
While the retractable clothesline works for the lightweight curtain for "summer scamp" I would suggest putting up a tension bar (often used for shower curtains) if you have a space side to side in which to install it. It will come down while traveling but all you have to do is take it down while traveling and put it up when camping. The curtain will probably not reach to the top of the ceiling. I'm not sure how much that would matter with your home made AC.The tension bar may not be strong enough to support a heavy curtain. In that case I would suggest attaching a bar securely to the trailer.

If you're not too handy with sewing you could use any number of pre-hemmed items for your curtain including flat bed sheets, pre-made curtain panels, shower curtain or even a sarong! If you sew the curtain from scratch you will have a better selection of fabrics and can customize your interior with curtains, pillows and such. (Can you tell, I'm a "glamper"?) The curtain project is easy for someone with basic sewing skills. See photos for one of my "glamping" themes.
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 030.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 031.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Gilda, I've seen your pictures before, but not being a member; I couldn't enlarge them. I never noticed the pockets on the bottom of your curtains. How clever is that! There isn't a lot of room for those things you might need in the middle of the night. That looks like a really practical solution. A place for kleenex, flashlight, bear spray, ammo, snacks, etc. I'm impressed! I'm also curious what you use to hold the corner pockets on the wall?

Tom
Old 06-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #7

California
Registry
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your funny comments!The pockets are held to the "rat fur" with the hook side of hook and loop tape, AKA Velcro. Since installing the curtain pockets I find I don't need the wall pockets. I hang lots of stuff on the rat fur using this method.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #8

California
Registry
Oh, I just remembered...another FGRV member suggested using "cubicle clips" to hold things to rat fur. They are incredible as they have a strong clip which attaches to the wall with two sharp prongs. I would not use these if you have young children or dogs but otherwise they are the ticket. Find them at Staples or other office supply stores. They come in black, white and colors. Staples® Cubicle Clips, White, 20/Pack | Staples®
Old 06-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Gilda,

I'll have to look for those cubicle clips. I was thinking those upholstery pins might work. They are used to hold arm rest covers on upholstered chairs. They're "U" shaped with a flattened bottom. I'm always amazed at the clever solutions FGRV owners like you come up with.

P.S. If that curtain pocket is "Glamping" don't tell my buddies. It wouldn't fit my image. How about Battle Gear Pouches?

Thx again!

Tom
Old 06-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #10

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
One option is to follow the curve of the roof and the other is just to go straight across, I think following the curve would look nicer, but straight cross would probably be easier.
You could have the best of both worlds. I'm not sure of the parkliner interior shapes, but you could make a solid valence that the curtain rod would attach to the inside or unders side.

For curtain rod, I'm thinking the I beam type or the one with a slot on the side for sail boats or the the slot on the bottom like in hospitals. Sorry it's been a long day that is not over yet and I can't for the life of me think of the right terminology. At least I didn't say Thingamajiggy.