Curtains in Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
I'm not that keen on blinds in a camper trailer. They can be noisy- a trailer moves (even when parked). They collect dust (of which there is a lot when you're out camping). And they are more easily damaged when you bump into them in the close quarters of a small trailer.

I managed to score some nicer lined curtains through a very generous member here who was redecorating.

Here are a couple of ideas I have run across and found very appealing, though I haven't tried either out myself.

Grommets make the curtains slide easier and park more compactly when opened. Most of our home curtains are grommeted (Ikea) and I really like them. I believe these are also lined for better privacy/light control. Thanks Carol H.!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curtains.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	99451

Wraparound curtains make for better coverage and completely clear the windows when opened. If I were ordering a new Scamp I would leave off the stock curtain rods entirely and suspend a continuous rod from the overhead cabinets. These use flexible copper tubing and come courtesy of Elipea in CA.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wraparound Curtains.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	99452
More information here.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Here are a couple of ideas I have run across and found very appealing, though I haven't tried either out myself.

Grommets make the curtains slide easier and park more compactly when opened. I believe these are also lined for better privacy/light control. Thanks Carol H.!
Attachment 99451

Wraparound curtains make for more complete coverage and completely clear the windows when opened. If I were ordering a new Scamp I would leave off the stock curtain rods entirely and suspend a continuous rod from the overhead cabinets. These use flexible copper tubing and come courtesy of Elipea in CA!
Attachment 99452
More information here.
Grommets did indeed help to keep the curtains in place - open or closed.

My new to me trailer has blinds on most of the windows (other than the bedroom area) and as you say they are a bit of a pain... looking to do curtains of some sort in the future on the others as well. The ones in the bedroom are on a track system top and bottom with dozens of connections on each curtain panel to keep them nice and tidy.

Just a note on the curtains that Scamp supplies. They are cheap and thin and will fade fast due to sun exposure and the fact they wick up moisture like crazy - over time while fall apart at the seams.

If your going to replace curtains it is best to find a home decorating fabric that is not high in cotton content so they do not fade as fast and soak up and hold moisture.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigKathy View Post
Thank you! That sounds like a simple fix! I have pinched the ends, but they still seem to fall off. It seems that it would have been nice for them to put a bottom rod on all of the curtains, just like they did on the door. That may have helped them stay in place, and would look much neater. Thanks again!
I replaced those horrible cheap metal curtain rods with fiberglass rods in some cases and some other plastic hollow rods that I already had around. The diameter was not right, so I squeezed the rod supports with a pair of pliers until I got the right fit.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:23 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Unfortunately, my 2011, 13' Scamp came with curtain rod holders (brackets) that were too small for the curtain rod! As soon as I replaced the Scamp rods with "standard" 7/16" cafe rods they fit snugly. When you crimp the rod holders it can weaken the metal to the point of breaking it. If that happens then you are stuck with replacing the rod holders. This is not an easy task as it involves riveting.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp