Curtains or Blinds - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I've heard of several people "needing black out curtains/blinds" and wondered why? Do you sleep during the day? The biggest percentage of places I've camped it get dark at night the exception being a Wal-Mart parking lot or two.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #16

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
If I dont have dark curtains I'm awake at sunrise. Since we're not morning people (Hubby is a shift worker) that makes for very unhappy campers, lol. We usually sleep till 9 or 10am esp if we were up late around the campfire the night before.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #17

Name: Karen
Trailer: None
Oregon
Registry
We just installed window tint film 5% on our Hunter I. With the top popped up we get plenty of sunlight in, and at night you can only see in if we turn on a really bright light. The film REALLY keeps out the heat. Curtains are a bit of a pain because the trailer sides bow out a little at bed level, so curtains ended up on our faces when we sleep.
If we redo the windows, we'll have a professional window tint place do the work; I can see my mistakes on some of the edges and corners.
We still have the curtains (but pushed aside), but might well decide to remove them.
Has anyone else tried the window tint?
Attached Thumbnails
ZebraHunterI.JPG  
Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #18

Name: Ollie
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Registry
My Puck came with tint the P.O. applied. There were blisters and bubbles so I ended up removing it (it did do a good job of preserving the 60s and 70s window decals underneath, though so left it on the back of those). I would guess there was a 5-10 degree temperature difference with it gone but I like clear windows for when I'm camped someplace with nice scenery. The Puck also had rubberised spring cords that held the curtain bottoms against the sloping wall. I'm sure the tint does a lot to keep interior fabric from fading- especially curtains. I may get a clear UV-resistant film put in the Scamp for that reason.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #19

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskaren View Post
Has anyone else tried the window tint?
Yes. We love it!
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Spring - Mt Dora 003.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #20

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
When we bought our Lil Snoozy we told Alan to not install blinds but instead curtain rods. We bought insulated curtains at Target (on sale) and my sister altered them to fit each of our windows. For the kitchen, over the propane stove, she made a four inch valance with a velcro strip so we could remove the bottom portion when cooking.
We think they look great and the insulation works well in keeping the heat from the sun cooking us.
Will show you in Williamsport.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #21

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh
When we bought our Lil Snoozy we told Alan to not install blinds but instead curtain rods. We bought insulated curtains at Target (on sale) and my sister altered them to fit each of our windows. For the kitchen, over the propane stove, she made a four inch valance with a velcro strip so we could remove the bottom portion when cooking.
We think they look great and the insulation works well in keeping the heat from the sun cooking us.
Will show you in Williamsport.
Bill, Any pictures? We are starting our Snoozy (re)construction tomorrow and what to do about the windows is an open question. The factory Venetian blinds banged around during the 1400 mile trip home and I'm not thrilled with the look. I'd love to see your better idea.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #22

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
We are getting dark window tint on Thursday. Will post and let you know how it turns out. Going to Tintmasters in Sioux City. I think they said somewhere around 170 or less.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I redid my curtains last winter and used a thermal liner on them - the new curtains are much better at blocking out light and the liner has a bit of plastic film on the window side so it does not absorb moisture if there is condensation on the windows.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
I have been dealing with this same question blinds or curtains for my new Parkliner when I get it end of June. I have decided to just do the curtains also, the wife thinks they have a nicer look too.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #25

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
We're going to remove the blinds in our Egg Camper and my wife will make some drapes. If I can, I'd really like to replace the two slider windows with jalousie type. Don't know yet if any in the same size will be available.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #26

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I would love to post pictures, but I do not have a digital camera and not that computer savvy. If my boys were here I would have them do it, but they all live in different parts of the country.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I love this topic. Just like belly buttons, everyone has an opinion. I'm removing my curtains and putting in mini-blinds. Curtains are either open or closed. Mini-blinds allow you to open them sufficiently to see out, but difficult to see in. In the bed area at night, I'll lift them up to the top and I use reflectix affixed to the window frame. No noise, completely dark inside the trailer and great insulation against condensation at night.

Cleaning mini-blinds isn't difficult unless you allow them to get really dirty and greasy and I don't think anyone here does that... just take them down and dump them into the bathtub. They dry quickly too in the warm sun.

Different strokes for different folks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #28

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Donna, how do you attach the reflectix to your windows frames?