Curtains or Blinds - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Curtains or Blinds

I currently have mini-blinds in my Snoozy. I'm thinking of taking them down and using curtains instead. Any pros/cons, suggestions?

Old 05-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #2

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

I put aluminum mini-blinds with had the clips at the bottom in my Compact Jr. the 1st time I remodeled it. Without air conditioning, it was adequate to open windows for cross-ventilation and be comfortable EXCEPT when the wind blew. I was kept awake all night once by the noise of those blinds.

My Fiber Stream has curtains and shades which I like much better.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0585.jpg  

Old 05-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #3

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Our Ventura is still wearing the lace curtains it came with. This amuses my friends quite a bit because I have never had lace curtains in my home!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We took out the blinds in our Casia and replaced them with fabris cellular blinds. The are top down, bottom up so the give us flexibulity plus color. Still need to add velcro on the bottom so they stay put while drivung.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #5

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
We took out the blinds in our Casia and replaced them with fabris cellular blinds. The are top down, bottom up so the give us flexibulity plus color. Still need to add velcro on the bottom so they stay put while drivung.
Now that's an option I hadn't considered .... Interesting! I wonder if roman shades would work?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #6

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
I prefer curtains because they are QUIET. I hate the noise of blinds locking against the wall when the trailer's rockin'!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #7

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramoncur View Post
I prefer curtains because they are QUIET. I hate the noise of blinds locking against the wall when the trailer's rockin'!

Well; I can appreciate how that might be a bit of a turn off!!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
We have curtains and after getting trapped in a sand storm I'm really glad. Sand and dust everywhere. I can't imagine trying to clean blinds, curtains simply went into the washer.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #9

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
We have curtains and after getting trapped in a sand storm I'm really glad. Sand and dust everywhere. I can't imagine trying to clean blinds, curtains simply went into the washer.
My thoughts exactly. I have nightmares remembering how difficult it is to clean blinds!

I'm seriously leaning towards the curtains.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
I removed my "factory installed" mini-blinds and went to "Little House Customs" and bought their replacement window curtain kit. Love the curtains...much nicer than the blinds. Larry & Debbie Gamble are great folks to deal with, and are really into trailer "mods". Very conversant with changes, alterations, and custom modifications of trailers.
Link: Little House Customs
Old 05-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Themed window-coverings

I have had my new 13' Scamp for less than one year now. One of my favorite things to do is to dream up and incorporate themes for my little "doll house". Curtains are both practical and decorative. They control light and privacy while adding a decorative flair. So far I have sewn side panels for the factory installed eggshell-colored curtains. By doing so, I have the best of two worlds. The side panels are done in a print theme fabric; think Hawaiian, fall foliage, Native American, 1950's, etc.) which does not overwhelm the small interior space and I have the fun of this decorative element. I simply sew panels sized 20" long by 8-10" wide and put them on the outer edge of the curtain rod while keeping the original curtain within the curtain rod holders. I have also sewn tie-backs (2" x 12") which have Velcro hooks on each end. I can "tie back" the curtains by looping the tie-back around the curtains and hooking both ends to the "rat fur".

My latest theme was Hawaiian. The print is vintage Hawaiian with ukeleles, grass shacks and palm trees in shades of brown. It looks like a fabric which would be used for a man's Aloha shirt. (I used the back of the print for a softer look.) I am now thinking of removing the factory-installed curtains and replacing them with matchstick blinds which will hang from the curtain rod. I am not concerned with privacy and will not be bothered with rolling them up and down. The matchstick blinds will be perfect with the Hawaiian theme.

For black-out "shades" I have cut Ron-Loc blackout liner (available at most fabric stores) to cover the windows and I have attached Velcro hooks to the tops and bottoms to secure. These are easy to attach and remove by hand. They block out the light for nighttime sleeping and are installed during transport and storage so as to minimize fading and sun-damage on the interior.

I will post photos in a later posting.
Here's hoping you and others like my ideas.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #12

Virginia
Registry
Would love to see your pics!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Curtain Photos

Attached are three photos of my curtains and black-out "shades". By necessity the black-out "shades" need to extend well below the bottom edge of the window so most of the light is blacked out and so the shade attaches to the rat fur. Only short pieces of the Velcro hooks are needed to attach the shades. Basically, I sewed three, 3" pieces to the top and bottom on the ends and middle. On the window at our head where we sleep I sewed Velcro solid across the bottom so the cold air would not creep onto our faces. To store, I simply remove and carefully fold the shades when not in use.

For the curtain end panels I used a fall foliage theme fabric and totally lined the curtain with a solid color (to minimize sun damage). Notice the "tie-backs" with the button (non-functional) detail. The tie-backs attach with Velcro hooks on each end. These curtains and tie-backs are made of cotton. I notice that the factory installed curtains are made of a 100% synthetic. I believe the synthetic would fare better in the often humid interior of the fiberglass RV. Synthetic fabrics are more difficult to find at fabric retailers. A good source of synthetic fabrics are tablecloths and shower curtains. I am not suggesting the use of plastic shower curtains, however. I'm not too worried about the decline of the curtain end panels made of cotton as I will be changing them out frequently according to my decorating whim and they are protected from the sun during travel and storage with the block out shades.

Sorry, I don't have photos of the Hawaiian theme curtains yet.

** Note: Velcro brand, hook and loop tape can be very expensive. At JoAnn Fabrics they sell hanks of hook and loop tape in a variety of colors for about $1 per hank. I keep this in stock because I can attach anything to the rat fur with this stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 012.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 020.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg  
Old 05-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #14

Virginia
Registry
Very nice! These look really great! Thanks!