Curve of entrance door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2019, 09:57 PM   #1

Curve of entrance door

I have a 1978 Boler 1700. I noticed the other day that the curve is coming out of the entrance door. Has anyone had this issue and had success in dealing with this problem? If so how did you address it?
Dennis Hannaburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Your problem is most likely is due to the breakdown of the wood framework that is glassed into the door the door. It is especially weak (at least on my mid 80's Casita) at the center where the door latch mechanism is mounted.

On my trailer a PO added a lightweight cable anchored near the top and bottom of the door with a turnbuckle placed in the center. The door curve can be adjusted by turning the turnbuckle in or out. It's a little hokie but the set up works fair but not perfect.

The best way to correct the problem is to take out the old rotten wood and replacing it with new. This will require some fiberglass work. That is what I plan to do on my trailer eventually. There is a guy named Eric who rebuilt the door frame on his older Casita. He posted a lot of pictures. Here is a link to his post.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-81327.html

I think he had to do the job over a second time to get it right so make sure read all of the way through his posting until you to get the second repair.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hannaburg View Post
I have a 1978 Boler 1700. I noticed the other day that the curve is coming out of the entrance door. Has anyone had this issue and had success in dealing with this problem? If so how did you address it?
r you could re-frame the door way so that it does not have the curve any longer, That curve will cause problems from day 1.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #4

Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Registry
Recurve the curve

I did a total rebuild, but the process to recurve the door is similar. You may not have the rot that I did, and may only need to kurf cut the inner core wood. and apply the epoxy.

See my blog for details. My Scamp Fiberglass Egg Camper: Repairing a Scamp camper door.

GQ

eggscamper.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hannaburg View Post
Garycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It is possible your door is just fine. Have a look at how it is constructed or even post a picture of the interior surface.

Chances are, you may have what some call body bulge. Totally different fix.

My suggestion. Do your research. Good and bad answers / opinions abound here.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote