Cushion migration remediation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2005, 08:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
We have a '99 Scamp with the side dinette and the seat-back cushions have ended up almost everywhere in the cabin except the bathroom after traveling any distance. A former owner tried hook & loop (the pressure sensitive adhesive sticks well to the fiberglass walls/divider but not to the cushion). The stuff is almost impossible to sew to the fabric. I can hold them in place with snaps but this would require drilling holes in the wall/divider and I would prefer not to do this if possible. Are there other options that work?

Thanks! John & Sandy in Calabash NC
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
When my egg is that far along, I plan on using the rubberized shelf liner. They make the same stuff for rugs, but I have found the shelf liner to be better priced and it is available just about anywhere. Even our local grocery store carries it in rolls.
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
If the roads you have traveled are reasonably smooth, cushion migration might be an indication of bad tire balance.

Just a thought.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Be thankfull it isn't your porta potti going for a walk. (Don't ask me how I know this.)

I use the stuff that keeps rugs in place, and I lay the back cushions down flat on the seat coushions, so they stay put.

Traveling with the table up is helpful in keeping stuff put as well.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yep, rubberized shelf liner. I've got that stuff inside all my cabinets. Should work well for the cushions too. And talk about cheap...I saw it at the Dollar Store. $2 worth and you're good to go.

If you still want to use the hook 'n loop system and it's already sticking to the fiberglass...use a hot glue gun to glue the other half to the cushions.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 17 ft / Touareg V8
DUCT TAPE--also known as Arkansas chrome
JOHN PAUL EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Quote:
We have a '99 Scamp with the side dinette and the seat-back cushions have ended up almost everywhere in the cabin except the bathroom after traveling any distance. A former owner tried hook & loop (the pressure sensitive adhesive sticks well to the fiberglass walls/divider but not to the cushion). The stuff is almost impossible to sew to the fabric. I can hold them in place with snaps but this would require drilling holes in the wall/divider and I would prefer not to do this if possible. Are there other options that work?

Thanks! John & Sandy in Calabash NC
Hi Sandy,
I used "Liquid Nails, Perfect Glue" to stick the "velcro" to fabric. It works very well, and you don't have to buy a glue gun. I've stuck all kinds of things to our walls with "Velcro" Our Scamp is an '88, so I had to replace all our cushions. I used upholstery fabric and it seems to stay put just fine. They've never moved (maybe it's the Scotch Guard I put on them a little too lavishly, they're a bit tacky!!
Hope this helps,
Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
What are you running for tires?
If you are running the wrong type of tires (ones that allow a lot of sidewall flex) your trailer could be bouncing more than it needs to and this could help your cushions to migrate. Some of the above replys would definately help or solve the problem but MAYBE there is an underlying cause that might cure some other problems you might be experiencing.....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:36 AM   #9
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Side dinette's seem to be rather prone to this problem regardless of tires. I hadn't noticed so many comments from Scamp owners, but it's been on-going for the Casita Spirit (side dinette).

I use the non skids and it does help some on the bottom cushion. I usually just lay the smaller ones on top rather than trying to keep them upright. They ride better stacked that way. It's a rare day that I don't have to go over a few pot holes or at least one railroad track and no matter how slowly I negotiate it I've learned not to be surprised with the outcome.

Are the back and bottom cushions on the Scamp sewn together or are they two seperate ones like the Casita? If they are sew together, I'd fold one down on top of the other with a non skid underneath. That might help some.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Our dining table is always up. We sit crosswise with our backs toward the side wall of the Casita. The back cushions press hard against the table on one, and the bathroom wall in front and the divider at the back. We have the rubber shelf liner that looks like many small balls fused together under the cushions.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:05 AM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
This is interesting. I'm sort of with Loren on this one. Have you had your tires balanced?

The worst that happened with my side dinette cushions in my '02 Scamp was that the backs would fall down on the seats. The previous owner complained that whoever sewed the cushions must have been blind because they did the patterns for the backs up-side down when the cushion was upright (zipper down)! I had the trailer for six months before I realized that there are seat cushions and back cushions and they are different lengths. AFTER I figured out that the back cushions go in first and sit on the seat, and THEN the seat bottom cushions go in, slide back against them, and secure them in their place, they haven't moved at all. AND the patterns match correctly!

I can post photos of mine with the cushions both ways for comparison this weekend. And of course, it's always possible that Scamp made some revisions in the side dinette structure between the '99 and '02 model years...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #12
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Now that you mention it, Roger, I do recall seeing pictures of the Scamp cushions and noticing they are different. The Casita back cushion is much smaller and sits on top of the other one. That would explain why it might migrate more than the Scamp's. Laying it on top of the other has really helped me. Nick's solution could be a good one, except that my table is mounted a little different and I'm afraid it would tear out of the side wall if I hit a bit bump. He also has a 17' and the frame is different. I wonder if that provides for a more stable ride?

There have been times when I thought that I would open the door and find a mess for sure, but everything was perfect. Other times, I never recalled swerving, hitting any major bumps, or whatever, and still found the cushions askew.

BTW I run on Goodyear ST 14s and they've been balanced.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Our table just sits on the post with tension against the carpeted wall. The cushions seem to help stabilize it.

Tires do make a difference. When we switched from the Carlisles to Michelins I could feel a difference in the way the trailer felt going down the street. That was with the same air pressure that we ran in the carlisles.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote