Cushion washing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2003, 08:18 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Cushion washing

I would like to wash the cushions in my Trillium 1977. I am thinking about washing them in the washing machine at low speed and with cold water and a little bit of soap and let them dry at room temperature.

I worry about shrinking.

Any advises??

Alain

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 08:47 PM   #2

Washing Cushions

Alain: Could you use a carpet cleaner with an upholstery adapter? We "cleaned" ours this way. It cleaned the fabric really well. We rented it from a local hardware store.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:57 PM   #3

Cushion Washing

My approach is to use Simple Green or similar diluted about 50% in a spray bottle and a stiff nylon brush using the armstrong method to clean the cushions. When the arms are no longer strong an absorbent towel can be used to remove the dirty solution.

For really stubborn greasy spots, Castrol Super-Clean (available at auto parts stores or Wal-Mart) can be used sparingly the same way. However, it is pretty powerful stuff (very alkaline) and you would not want to get it on your skin.

Old 03-21-2003, 09:11 PM   #4

Trillium cushions

Hi, Alain! :wave

I'm not familiar with the cushions Trillium uses, but I assume you think you can get them into your washing machine. If so, I think you're on the right track. The spin cycle of the washer would be good for getting the water out (the biggest problem with trying to launder by ''hand'').

I don't think shrinkage will be a problem if you use cold water... although I wonder if the cushions will retain their shape very well. (Probably, but no guarantees.) Can you not remove the covers and just wash them (on gentle cycle)? I really think with cold water you will be okay; probably would also be okay to throw the covers in the dryer on low heat... but line or flat drying is surely safer.

Do test the fabric before washing, to be sure its color won't bleed. (If it's a synthetic, which is typically used, no problem. If it's wool or some other natural fiber, though, you better check it.)

I tell ya, washing the cushions in my Casita would be a big chore... which is why the others are suggesting the spot treatments. But, if you need to wash the whole, entire cusion(s), I don't see why your ideas wouldn't work.

Unless it takes forever to dry?

:sunny

Old 03-21-2003, 09:23 PM   #5

Hi
I washed my Boler Cushions In washing machine on cold water.When washing cycle finished I hung on line out side with no shrinkage.
Worked for me.:)

Old 03-22-2003, 05:11 AM   #6

My cushions are not dirty. It is just kind of an order from my dear girlfriend to wash them.

Since I just bought the trailer a few days ago, and although it is quite clean (at least to me), she want everything to be wash and clean inside and out. Really not a big job in a 15' trailer.

Yesterday, I made a test with the smallest cushion. I removed the foam witch is easy because there in a zipper to open the cover and I wash it, low speed and cold water. This morning, being already dry, I put back the foam inside. I wrap the foam with a garbage bad before inserting it very easily inside the cover then remove the garbage bag.

This idea about using a garbage bag to put back the foam inside the cover is really (Really!!) a great idea that I found in the net but I don't remember in wich forum.

Now, this cushion is very clean and I did not notice any shrinkage so I will do the rest of my cushions. The bigger ones have the back side made with simili-leather.

Now, I worry about that!

:sad

Old 03-22-2003, 05:29 AM   #7

Reading back my last post I notice that it is not so obvious that it is the cover that I want to wash. Not the foam, of course.

Sorry about that!

Old 03-22-2003, 05:33 AM   #8

Alain
My cover had Sim leather also. I washed them and had no problems.

Old 03-22-2003, 01:38 PM   #9

I wash a cover with simili leather in the washing machine at gentle speed. Unfortunately, the letherrette side got damaged. Not a lot but enough to forget about this way of washing.

This leatherette is not of the highest quality and since it is old it may be a little "dry" and easy to dammage.

I washed the rest of the covers by hand in the bath. I thaught that they were not dirty. I was wrong. It took 5 rince on each one before getting clear water.

There is a probem with simili leather. Since it does not allow air circulation, there is quite an accumulation of black spots on the inside side of this material and on that side of the foam. I suspect this to be some kind of mildew.

I don't know what to do about that. Any advices?

Alain

Old 03-31-2003, 02:01 PM   #10

Try a solution of bleach and water (50/50) and mist it on from a spray bottle. Don't saturate the area, and don't get it on the upholstery fabric.