Cushions and resale considerations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I am going to set up my Campster bed/dinette area, which is about 72x72 inches, so that in the front there is a bed, about 48 x 72 inches, crosswise, and then the last two feet of the dinette would normally be set up for sitting/eating, or feet when sleeping. This involves no modifications of the dinette structure- just the cushions. This will make it much easier to climb in and out of the bed, and if I want, I could use a small portable table in the last two feet.

I see two options:

1) Cut the current cushions off at the 24 inch mark, so that the front of the cushion can be flat and the back two feet set up as seating. I would then recover the seat cushions as the fabric is very worn.

2) Get a bed cushion for the front, new seat cushions for the back, and save the old, worn, but original configuration foam cushions for the next owner. The cushion fabric is shot on one side, but the cushions themselves are still quite comfortable. With a 2 inch memory foam topper over the bed I slept better than in my bed at home.

Option 1 is cheaper, but my question is, would I be better to consider future resale and leave the existing cushions alone? What I want to do would only mean that all of the four cushions would be in two pieces, instead of a single piece each.

Keeping in mind that anyone wanting to use the original dinette configuration would need to have the cushions recovered, anyway, do you think that cutting the foam to the sizes I want would be a problem for resale?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
Hi, Bobbie!

I don't believe that future purchasers would be disturbed because the cushions had been cut; I rather think that more will be attracted by a well-designed interior that shows off your trailer's flexible living arrangements.

Should a future purchaser complain, might you give him/her a piece of foam in the original size to close the sale?

Cheers,
E.
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

It sounds to me like your option #1 is emulating the Casita Liberty cushion layout, which is very versatile. Sometimes, maneuvering smaller cushions is also easier to do than manhandling longer/larger ones. I say go for your 1st choice!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
It sounds to me like your option #1 is emulating the Casita Liberty cushion layout, which is very versatile. Sometimes, maneuvering smaller cushions is also easier to do than manhandling longer/larger ones. I say go for your 1st choice!

Yes, that's the idea. I think the bed/sitting area will be larger the way I"m planning it, but that's the basic idea.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote