Cushions in a compact junior and other questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Dear friends: following a two week trip , our second trip with the Compact junior we acquired last fall I have some questions:
1. Our cushions fit far better with the "splits" between cushions running from side to side rather than fore and aft when down for the bed. This makes it a little awkward when changing from the table up to the table down and bed mode, we have to move the cushions 90 degrees Is this your experience ?

2. When we are travelling on the road, it is easy to buy fresh food before the evening meal but when you are sitting in the same campsite for several days it would be nice to have fresh food and wondering who has a refrigerator in the unit and how does that work out? Where we camp, provincial parks, there is no acess to electricity so we would be looking at propane power.

3. We are still trying to figure out where to put things and have it convenient. , What works for you?

And for my contribution to others, I discovered by accident that when the top was down that if the top was pulled back slightly that there were holes in the lifting mechanism that lined up and the pins for securing the supporting arms when they are up will also secure the arms when down. This is added security when the "jeep holders" come loose. Had that happened when I was not aware.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Kent,
1. We position the cushions side to side when we make the bed. Like you said, it fits better.

2. We have a 4 cu. ft. dorm refrigerator that runs only on 120 V. A/C. Would love to have a two-way with propane option.

3. We replaced most of the closet area with shelves. Measurements for shelves allow for 3 plastic storage bins to be stacked vertically. We find we have too much storage space and take more with us than we need.

Tom Trostel
Old 06-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
1. Honestly I've never tried positioning my cushions that other direction, hmmm, interesting. In my Compact I've actually added the dinette cushions from a tent trailer that I junked out (MAJOR water damage to all the wood...) since just the original dinette cushions were inadequate for me for sleeping. I just leave dinette down in bed mode all the time and eat outside...
2. My Compact came with the 3-way fridge. It IS small (I've often wondered if the new ones don't have more interior space with more compact workings or something) but the convenience of keeping perishables cold without dealing with ice is VERY handy. I usually try to tailor my menu with a good mix of perishables and non-perishables, taking into account my fridge's space. I find that I get better at it on each trip...hehe I've also learned little things, like the 99 Cent Store's quarts of milk fit PERFECTLY in the fridge! hehe
3. Storage is an absolute premium in my rig, since it has the bathroom instead of a nice spacious closet there. I'm constantly adding new items to the trailer, eliminating things I don't use after all, overall just figuring out what's practical to have on board all the time vs things that I really don't use. Im sure I won't be the only one to say that there are always things that seemed like a GREAT idea to put on board at the time, and later you realize you NEVER use it, it's adding unnecessary weight, and you NEED the storage space! hehe

Best of luck and good wishes on building your 'nest' in your trailer, it will be uniquely yours and perfect! Joe

Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #4

Registry
Thumbs up

I'm just a few steps behind Kent. We brought home our Compact Jr. Saturday and are sorting everything out, figuring out how to connect things like water (incomplete system) and have fixed some easy stuff along the way.

As for the ice box, mine came WITHOUT the door shelves/inserts. Any idea where I might find the "other half" of the door racks? (The molding is there, but clearly there was something to hold the things IN the door, like a tray or something.)

Jen
jenpb.blogspot.com

Quote:
1. Honestly I've never tried positioning my cushions that other direction, hmmm, interesting. In my Compact I've actually added the dinette cushions from a tent trailer that I junked out (MAJOR water damage to all the wood...) since just the original dinette cushions were inadequate for me for sleeping. I just leave dinette down in bed mode all the time and eat outside...
2. My Compact came with the 3-way fridge. It IS small (I've often wondered if the new ones don't have more interior space with more compact workings or something) but the convenience of keeping perishables cold without dealing with ice is VERY handy. I usually try to tailor my menu with a good mix of perishables and non-perishables, taking into account my fridge's space. I find that I get better at it on each trip...hehe I've also learned little things, like the 99 Cent Store's quarts of milk fit PERFECTLY in the fridge! hehe
3. Storage is an absolute premium in my rig, since it has the bathroom instead of a nice spacious closet there. I'm constantly adding new items to the trailer, eliminating things I don't use after all, overall just figuring out what's practical to have on board all the time vs things that I really don't use. Im sure I won't be the only one to say that there are always things that seemed like a GREAT idea to put on board at the time, and later you realize you NEVER use it, it's adding unnecessary weight, and you NEED the storage space! hehe

Best of luck and good wishes on building your 'nest' in your trailer, it will be uniquely yours and perfect! Joe

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
You know guys, I hate to sound all separatist or something, but it really sounds like we need to have a Hunter Products/Siblings rally sometime, just so we can all compare the many possibilities/options/ideas for our boxy little rigs! hehe We're often only limited by our imaginations, but sometimes it takes seeing someone else's interpretation of something to get your imagination going, know what I mean? hehe
Anyway, it's just a thought, kick it around everybody and see what you think...
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #6

Dear JenPB: My ice box has moulded plastic in the door just like a refrigerator with wire in the front of each shelf to keep items on the shelf. With Larry and Carrie on this board, gutting their trailer for a rebuild you might want to check to see what they are doing with their ice box. they are in washington state
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #7

Registry
Thanks, Kent. Will do!

And Joseph, I like your idea. It's tough for us to get on schedule. Something about my personality and our kids' activities, too. A Left Coast gathering might work for us...after October.

Meanwhile, now you know where I live. Where on the Central Coast are you?

Jen
jenpb.blogspot.com

Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Dear JenPB: My ice box has moulded plastic in the door just like a refrigerator with wire in the front of each shelf to keep items on the shelf. With Larry and Carrie on this board, gutting their trailer for a rebuild you might want to check to see what they are doing with their ice box. they are in washington state
Kent--- my ears were burning... then I found this post. AHA... Now as for the icebox, it isn't going to exist. Ours had a 2-way fridge stuffed into the hole at an angle (higher in front than back) Have no idea if it worked... Carrie and I look at an icebox as a waste of space. (the one in our Scamp is now a cupboard with double doors on it) We have found that a medium size ice chest holds more and keeps things better--- just throw it in the door- and then pull it out and set it outside next to door.
I am going to convert the icebox space to an old fashioned "pantry" type cupboard. Since there are vents already, I will leave them open to the back of the cupboard to ventilate it. Yes, to answer your questions, it will be at the outside temperature---- but if it is scorching hot, we aren't camping anyway. And, in the late fall, early winter, (think of hunting season ) it will keep things very cool. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #9

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
JenPB,
My icebox also just has molded shelves with a wire like bar across. I haven't tried my cushions the other way. I replaced the original ones (done is oranges & browns, southwest design) with 4" foam. They are just covered with twin sheets for now, until I can get them recovered. In the long cabinett my dad made shelves (for dishes, pot & pans and towels and other misc stuff) and in the short one I found plastic boxes at Big Lots to fit to hold our clothes.

Hope this helps,
Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #10

Registry
Thanks Larry and Linda for chiming in! I'm torn about the ice box. It would be cool if it worked, but the way I see it is a VERY small ice box given the way its set up. We take off for our trip 7/28, plus have some other out of town obligations before that (cutting into our prep time), so I don't forsee any major changes to this part of the trailer before we take off. I wonder, though, if a newfangled propane fridge would fit in this spot. I haven't had the time to look into it, but I will ... later.

For now, I'm trying to finagle the water system (there was a tank, but no fittings or hoses...I suspect the guys before us were working on that at some point), found out last night that the electrical DOES work , and have been working on covers for the cushions. I think two cushions are missing (I have four lower cushions 24"x36" and two backrest cusions 11"x36"), so we'll be hunting down foam today.

Haven't been brave enough to turn on the propane. Don't know a thing about that system, and since it involves fire, well, it scares the crap out of me! Oh, sure, if it works it'll all be grand. But what if... (those what ifs!) The tank looks ancient, so I suspect we'll need a new one. Any suggestions on where to have the propane system checked? (We're sorely lacking in RV service spots around here.)

Still awaiting delivery of the hitch for the TR, then its bearing repacking.

Thanks All,
Jen (aka The Verbose One)

Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Jen,
The original two seat cushions for the Compact Jr. are 70" X 24". The two backrest cushions are 70" X 12". Our seat cushions are 4" thick, but the backrest cushions were only 3" thick (?). When we had them upholstered, we had another 1" added to the backrest so they all are level for the bed.

Tom Trostel
Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #12

Trailer: Compact Jr
My sister has a Compact Jr. On hers, she uses the cushions lengthwise--when she bothers to make up the full bed. Usually she sleeps on one bench (in a sleeping bag) and the dog sleeps on the other, and she lays the tabletop between the benches as a kind of nightstand.

She was dissatisfied with how long ice lasted in her icebox, so during last winter's rework session I pulled out the icebox and wrapped it in an inch or so of fiberglass insulation, covered with a layer of brown paper to make it easier to slide back into place. No word yet on whether that improved her ice life. (Inquiring minds want to know.)

Storage is tricky. She has the whole trailer packed solid with stuff, I think. During the winter rework I was able to add a "secret cabinet" behind her microwave which made use of a big chunk of wasted space. Here's a link to a thread discussing it: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...15&start=15
Post #25 shows pictures of the secret compartment.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote