Cutting foam rubber - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2003, 10:05 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Cutting foam rubber

I need to cut to shape a 3" thick piece of foam to fit . What is the best method? This is for additional cushion on the bed in my casita. Any suggestions as to the best method?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 10:09 PM   #2

Cutting Foam Rubber

Hi Lee :wave
The very best way to cut foam rubber is with an old electric knife. ( it's not good for the blades) If you haven't got one you can use a serrated bread knife with a sawing motion.

Old 06-17-2003, 10:26 PM   #3

She's right you know

Barbara knows what she's talking about. It works well.

I also have a band saw and cut ALL new cushions with that. It worked a bit better than hand methods only because of the saw platten being perfectly 90 degrees to the blade always and also you don't tire yourself out.

But for a small cushion, go with Barbara.

Old 06-17-2003, 11:09 PM   #4

I had to rescue our old electric knife from the Goodwill Box a few years ago because I just might need to cut some foam some day!

Incidentally, the blades are quite easy to sharpen. Just go to the hardware store and buy a chain saw file (get the one for the larger size chain). It is like a small mill rat-tail file, but not tapered. With it you can easily resharpen the serrations in the blades of the electric knife.

Old 06-18-2003, 04:09 AM   #5

Electric knife

Yes, the electric knife is what we used to cut our 5 inch foam when we made the new wider twin beds for our Casita. We used the rounded corner of the original Casita cushions as our pattern to get the curve just right. We very carefully marked on the foam with a felt tip marker and then followed our line with the knife. It will look a little jagged compared to the factory edge but foam is very forgiving as it looks fine when inside a cover.