Cutting in a New Window ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #15
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
What we are discussing about the Scamp gravel shield is that the Scamp (Boler, Casita, etc.) have compound curves in the front, curving from side to side and top to bottom, so a flat shield has gaps around the edges.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:35 AM   #16
You also need to come up with a plan to deal with the insulation where the windows will go. If the Horizon is like the Burro, with a near-complete inner fiberglass skin, then you have to deal with that too.

Here is a cross section through an installed window:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fgrv_window.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	18020

The brown trim is the bit you need to think how you're going to do - duct tape would work, but ain't pretty! It would be great if the window manufacturer offers trim rings of a suitable depth, but you would need to be very sure that these were just trim rings (ie, cosmetic finishers) and not clamp rings (that fix the window in place) - it won't produce a leak-free seal if you try to bolt or clamp the window frame through both skins and the insulation.

Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #17
Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
Pete, You're right about the Scamp with the curved front. ( I have a 16' Scamp also) But my Scamp has the bathroom in the front so only has the very small window.

Andrew, The Horizon is built a little like the Bigfoot, in that it has about a 1" foam insulation. With a material on the inside. The windows in it now are about 2" deep, from outside to inside. Now I'm not sure whats behind the material, I'm thinking probably something like luan that they glue the material to. I will know more about that once I take out the fantastic fan, I'm going to replace the butyl putty. I've already talked with a fellow from fantistic and they are just great people to deal with. He told me to send my fan in and they will check it over replace anything needed, at no cost, just shipping. I won't be getting to that until spring when I can get the Horizon out of storage. The window I'm looking at is for a 2" depth, and with a inner trim ring for the inside. I'm not sure how the window fastens to the camper, maybe with the trim ring ?

Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote