cutting table bench side opening - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
i have a 1980s 10 ft. scamp. the table converts into a bed. this conversion is a pain so we leave it in bed mode. the large space under the bench on the sink side can only be accessed on the top. with the bed down that means no access without lifting up the entire bed(very heavy!!). so i want to cut an acess hole in the flat corner(not the part under the bed) so i can access some of that space easily. is this stupid ? will i compromize the the support of the bed? please help and any other hints about how to get more storage space in my beloved but tiny home on wheels. thank you ann
ps i know some of you love the little moving things ,but they are a nightmare for ADD people like me. sorry to spoil your fun, maybe some that don't move? that would still be cute but not drive me crazy while i try to read. thanks
johnsoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
i have a 1980s 10 ft. scamp. the table converts into a bed. this conversion is a pain so we leave it in bed mode. the large space under the bench on the sink side can only be accessed on the top. with the bed down that means no access without lifting up the entire bed(very heavy!!). so i want to cut an acess hole in the flat corner(not the part under the bed) so i can access some of that space easily. is this stupid ? will i compromize the the support of the bed?

Seems to me I saw a thread on these forums where someone had done exactly what you're proposing, and had made a little door for the opening.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
You can cut access doors in the bench, just make sure you cut only in the flat parts of the bench (not at any of the angles) where there is a single, thin layer of fiberglass without reinforcing members and leave a 1-1/4" rim of fiberglass around the top and sides of the cut. Once the opening has been made epoxy in some 1" wide strips of 3/4" plywood to reinforce the top and sides.

The problem with this approach is you either wind up with a really small door for accessing a big, big space, so you might try an alternate approach: putting a hatch in the outside wall.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
i have a 1980s 10 ft. scamp. the table converts into a bed. this conversion is a pain so we leave it in bed mode. the large space under the bench on the sink side can only be accessed on the top. with the bed down that means no access without lifting up the entire bed(very heavy!!). so i want to cut an acess hole in the flat corner(not the part under the bed) so i can access some of that space easily. is this stupid ? will i compromize the the support of the bed? please help and any other hints about how to get more storage space in my beloved but tiny home on wheels. thank you ann
ps i know some of you love the little moving things ,but they are a nightmare for ADD people like me. sorry to spoil your fun, maybe some that don't move? that would still be cute but not drive me crazy while i try to read. thanks
That's on my list of updates to do this Spring..... (both sides I might add...) What I have planned to do is glue/bond a wood frame around the inside of the opening I cut-- mainly to give a place to mount the hinges and catch to, but also to add a little structure integrey... It will be a small access, but little things like shoes, disposable prone bottles, etc will easily pass thru. (sleeping bags, blankets will too, if you leave them unrolled....) Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
Excellent ideas. Thanks!!

Ann
johnsoba is offline   Reply With Quote