Cutting the fiberglass for an AC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2006, 08:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We would like to install a small AC in our 13' Burro and are concerned about cutting the fiberglass if it will weaken the trailer. Our closet is too small for an install, so we're thinking of either mounting temporarily in a window or putting it through a wall. The window looks very hard because of the number of screws to take out each time. If we cut through the walls, does this weaken the hull? How would we strengthen it to carry the AC as a permanent install? Also, is it bad for the trailer to cut the hole across the central seam in the back or front? Any help with cutting holes in the trailer hull would be appreciated.

Kevin
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
1. If we cut through the walls, does this weaken the hull?
2. How would we strengthen it to carry the AC as a permanent install?
3. Also, is it bad for the trailer to cut the hole across the central seam in the back or front?
1. Yes, I believe it would.
2. If I were going to do it, I'd install an actual window frame to strengthen the hole in the hull, then I'd install the air conditioner in that frame. I would also add bracing to the floor or the frame of the trailer, somehow; especially if you choose to install an air conditioner that significantly hung [b]outside the body of the trailer.
3. To see the answer to that question, look where Burro installed the roof vent. All of the ones I have seen are to one side of the seam, not straddling it. However, the front and back WINDOWS do straddle the seam... But a window alone may not exert as much leveraged force upon the hole as an Air Conditioner would.

I have just today completed my installation of a 5000 btu window air conditioner in the front window of my Fiber Stream trailer. I custom crafted a framing scheme to install it without HAVING TO remove or install any screws except for removing 2 frame members to get it to fit back into it's original box for storage. If I didn't care to make it fit in the box, I could leave it assembled. [b]Key to my design is the use of the GoldStar 5000 BTU air conditioner, presently on sale at Home Depot, because it is equally balanced on the window frame between inside and outside.

I will tow my trailer with the air conditioner stowed in it's box on the floor. It takes 10 minutes to pop it into the open window, and 15 minutes to disassemble it and return it to it's box for storage.

I need to go take some pictures...
Old 06-16-2006, 11:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I have just today completed my installation of a 5000 btu window air conditioner in the front window of my Fiber Stream trailer. I custom crafted a framing scheme to install it without HAVING TO remove or install any screws except for removing 2 frame members to get it to fit back into it's original box for storage. If I didn't care to make it fit in the box, I could leave it assembled. [b]Key to my design is the use of the GoldStar 5000 BTU air conditioner, presently on sale at Home Depot, because it is equally balanced on the window frame between inside and outside.

I will tow my trailer with the air conditioner stowed in it's box on the floor. It takes 10 minutes to pop it into the open window, and 15 minutes to disassemble it and return it to it's box for storage.

[b]I need to go take some pictures...
Window A/C Pictures Here
Attached Thumbnails
AC14.jpg  
Old 06-17-2006, 07:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Member Lance MacArthur made one of the slickest mods I've seen for an air conditioner. And yes, he did cut a hole in the fiberglass (why not? Casita does). At any rate, he used the portion cut out to make a door. So the A/C slides in and out as needed. Not having the A/C (which is ugly IMO) permanently sticking out and ruining the looks of the trailer is a real plus.

Here's the link, I believe you need to have Flash installed too, lots and lots of picture
Lance MacArthur's Blue Boler
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I've done a little work like this, and have the following thoughts on hanging a cantilevered weight on the wall of a fiberglass trailer.

Simply cutting a hole will not support something like an air conditioner. I would:

1. Cut the hole
2. Frame the opening with 1" x 2" fir (no fingerjoint pieces!)
3. Epoxy the frame to the fiberglass outer shell
4. Design a weight transfer system using either 2" x 2" or 2" x 3" lumber to support the frame from the trailer's floor.
5. Fiberglass the frame to the trailer wall.
6. Cantilevered support if needed.

This is essentially the system I have designed to install a folding table in my Fiber Stream rather than the pedestal type it came with.

Victor
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #6

Name: Barbe
Trailer: Boler
West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Member Lance MacArthur made one of the slickest mods I've seen for an air conditioner. And yes, he did cut a hole in the fiberglass (why not? Casita does). At any rate, he used the portion cut out to make a door. So the A/C slides in and out as needed. Not having the A/C (which is ugly IMO) permanently sticking out and ruining the looks of the trailer is a real plus.

Here's the link, I believe you need to have Flash installed too, lots and lots of picture
Lance MacArthur's Blue Boler
Donna, I tried the link and Lance MacArthur's Blue Boler AC Install cannot be found. Do you have any other way to access it? Thanks
Barbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Hubby cut through the back wall of our PO Burro for our AC, built a support attached to the bumper to hold the window AC, and then (my suggestion), cut up a cooler to cover it while driving, so it looked like a cooler held on by bungie cord, instead of the window AC. Fooled another camper who asked for a cool one from the cooler. When we camped, we simply removed the cooler.

Of course, your Boler has a belly band, so I don't know how something like we did works in that situation.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:18 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbe View Post
Donna, I tried the link and Lance MacArthur's Blue Boler AC Install cannot be found. Do you have any other way to access it? Thanks
You do realize this thread is 8 years old and some links may no longer be available.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #9

Name: Barbe
Trailer: Boler
West Virginia
Lance AC Install link not available

Yes, I knew it was an old posting but thought it might have been archived somewhere
Barbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #10

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Georgia
I found some photos from his flickr account, Barbe.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/857297...57631229407148
https://www.flickr.com/photos/857297...7631229407148/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/857297...7631229407148/
raquela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #11

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Here are some pics of my 13' Burro's AC unit. It's in the side window, same side as the sink, etc. There are no supports........but the PO installed it using a piece of plywood. Hopefully, the pix explain it.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406574790.229307.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	74196Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406574815.729803.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	74197Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406574844.220707.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	74198Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406574857.813643.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	74199Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406574871.165069.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	74200Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406574890.815724.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	74201Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406574900.165679.jpg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	74202

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #12

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
CindyL,

I would love to see that mod. Can you post pictures?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote