damp under the mattress - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler
damp under the mattress

I covered the top of our table with "peel and stick" flooring tiles to match the floor and I have noticed that when it is warm, we end up with condensation under the mattress. I caught this in time last year before we got mold but am worried about this year as it is supposed to be a warm one here in BC. I didn't think the tile would be a problem given that I have seen a fair number of cushions backed with vinyl so maybe that isn't the problem. I am open to suggestions that do not involve pulling the bed apart every day to ensure there is no moisture . Any help would be appreciated. thx

Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
there is a product specifically for that problem. Can't exactly remember the name, try looking up Hypervent Marine, I think they make it. Or ask Brian M who owns a Parkliner, he has it.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #3

thanks so much and conveniently it is sold here on the Lower Mainland at PoCo Marine. Not cheap but better than moldy foam
Old 06-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hummm, condensation is a big problem for these ALL MOLDED TOWABLES. It's not brand specific, it's the way these trailers are built.

What works for me (YMMV) is when I get home, is to put the cushions upright, on the "thin" side and put a Dri-Z-Air in the sink (inside a plastic container). You need to dry out the fabrics...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When we get home is sometimes 3 months later for us!!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Thanks for these. We use Dri-z-air whenever Belle is parked and we always stand our cushions up when we get home from any trip, it is the while we are away occurrences of dampness that are the issue. I think we will try the mat for marine use. Worth a shot, (though it is pricey). If anyone has another suggestion I am open to it, we can't be alone in this issue.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
I always use one of these cheap waterproof beach type blankets, you can put it on top of the cushions or under. I put it on top, then put our bed roll on top of it. Works like a charm.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Burro
Another option to go between the camper and your mattress in "miner's moss" made by 3M that they call Nomad carpet / matting. It's still pricey.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #9

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Ventilation is the best cure for condensation. Next is Dri-Z-Air. I've never had a condensation problem. When parked in it's nest the roof vent is open and the window above the stove is open. When camped we keep the window over the stove open and the roof vent open a little bit. The warmer it gets the more open the roof vent and the windows in the back get opened.
Air movement through the roof vent takes warm moist air out through that vent.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #10

Last year was the first time we had this issue and I believe it was because the ground was the dampest it had ever been when we have been away.
We purchased the "hypervent mat" from PoCo Marine and I cut it this weekend to fit the bed. Heading out camping this weekend so it will be interesting to see how much difference it makes. I will post our "unscientific" results in case anyone else is experiencing this issue. Fingers crossed it sovled the problem.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #11

Name: Tracy
Trailer: 2006 Egg Camper
Michigan
Registry
In my scamp I used the silver bubble insulation between the mattress and table and never had problems with mold. I haven't had any trouble with my Egg Camper so far.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #12

Happy to report that the "hypervent mat" worked like a charm. No dampness at all. Very happy with this solution.