Dark Green Blotch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 1984 13VT
We have just purchased a uhaul camper. Inside the storage area above the sink there is an area on the inside of the exterior shell, that looks dark green-black. It is in and area where there are stress cracks on the outside. I am wondering if it has leaked into the fiberglass and if this is mold? My husband says there isn't anything inside the fiberglass to mold. Has anyone had any experience with this and how can we evaluate this?
Dennis Kelderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I assume you know that it is not a stain on the inside of the wall and have taken steps to try and wash it off with bleach and water.
Then if it is just in the fiberglass just paint it with the color to match the inside of cabinet.
I think they use chopped glass and spay the fiberglass and unless someone at the factory put somthing, like a green/black disk in this and sprayed over it there is no way it can seperate by layers.
If the camper is made, as i mke my canoes with sheet glass then a bubble can be between layers. But I do not think they do it this way.
Now this opens the question did somebody place a sheet of fiberglass over this spot to fix a problem?
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
We have just purchased a uhaul camper. Inside the storage area above the sink there is an area on the inside of the exterior shell, that looks dark green-black. It is in and area where there are stress cracks on the outside. I am wondering if it has leaked into the fiberglass and if this is mold? My husband says there isn't anything inside the fiberglass to mold. Has anyone had any experience with this and how can we evaluate this?
Hi: From the little I know about fibreglass it is not one continious colour and thats why the gel-coat finish is used to give the exterior a some what even continious coloured surface. Our '77 Boler has many blotches to be seen when you peel back the Ensolite inside or look at the floor from underneath!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #4

Quote:
I assume you know that it is not a stain on the inside of the wall and have taken steps to try and wash it off with bleach and water.
Then if it is just in the fiberglass just paint it with the color to match the inside of cabinet.
I think they use chopped glass and spay the fiberglass and unless someone at the factory put somthing, like a green/black disk in this and sprayed over it there is no way it can seperate by layers.
If the camper is made, as i mke my canoes with sheet glass then a bubble can be between layers. But I do not think they do it this way.
Now this opens the question did somebody place a sheet of fiberglass over this spot to fix a problem?
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry,
Thanks for the reply. It looks to me like a tree limb may have fallen on it and caused a crack. Could water have leaked in and caused the discoloration or could it be that it has been patched and that is the difference in the color on the backside of the fiberglass?
If so should anymore be done to it other than making sure it doesn't leak?
Thank!
Dennis
Old 06-10-2007, 03:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Gerry,
Thanks for the reply. It looks to me like a tree limb may have fallen on it and caused a crack. Could water have leaked in and caused the discoloration or could it be that it has been patched and that is the difference in the color on the backside of the fiberglass?
If so should anymore be done to it other than making sure it doesn't leak?

Dennis, sounds like it may be a repair and Alf is right also about little discolorations in sprayed glass, (lets give him alittle credit) just kid'en!

Anyway here is a way to check for a leak...
Tape on inside of trailer a paper towel where you think it may leak then go outside and spray area with garden hose...then check paper towel to see if wet.

Do this when you know there is no condensation in trailer...if no leaks don't worry about it and if the stain bothers you as said, paint it.

Alf! STOP! crawling around under your trailer, you may find things you don't want to, under there.

Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 06-11-2007, 06:27 AM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Don't kill it! I think the Queen wants that splotch back!

(Cryptic .. the chosen will understand... )
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Don't kill it! I think the Queen wants that splotch back!

(Cryptic .. the chosen will understand... )
We figured it out , the green was the colour of the resin that was used in a previous repair.
So the killer fungus may not be among us after all!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:05 AM   #8

Quote:
We figured it out , the green was the colour of the resin that was used in a previous repair.
So the killer fungus may not be among us after all!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazing how one little Green spot can cause such exitement,
Imagine if it was a RED spot?

SPOT! SPOT! OUT DAMN SPOT!

Gerry the canoebuilder