Dealing With Dealers Over New Trailer Prices ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Two things one is wise to remember. 1) Bigger is better, 2) More expensive is better.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Two things one is wise to remember. 1) Bigger is better, 2) More expensive is better.
thats my life moto - just wish I could afford to live by it!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
I have a distinct leg-pulling sensation right now but just in case you're serious:

I totally disagree with this philosophy, especially the second half! There's a big difference between price and value.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Can you say Fiscal Cliff.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
To be fair however, this is much less than used by Scamp, Casita, etc. These other manufacturers use rivets through the shell to to secure interior furnishings whereas Escape uses strips of glassed in wood on the interior to affix the furnishings to.
You have it correct. Escape by glassing in their furnishings **GREATLY** reduced the number of holes through the shell regardless of how the fewer holes they do have are filled - screws or rivets.

I suspect that anyone who has owned an fiberglass trailer for awhile and had to trace a leak or replace rivets, would agree the fewer holes in the shell the better! Glassing in furnishings is a *Big* plus side feature of an Escape.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #26

Registry
My '78 Trillium is entirely glass-dependent...the only mechanical fasteners on it are those that hold the outside windows/door/grates/grills on, and of course the bolts that hold it to the frame.

Has that changed with the present generation of Trilliums, and with their other offspring besides Escape, the "Outback"?

Francesca
Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #27
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
My '78 Trillium is entirely glass-dependent...the only mechanical fasteners on it are those that hold the outside windows/door/grates/grills on, and of course the bolts that hold it to the frame.

Has that changed with the present generation of Trilliums, and with their other offspring besides Escape, the "Outback"?

Francesca
Let's see, drip edge above the door, all lights, the gas regulator, the roof fan. I don't have the awning but I think they screw that on too. Then of course there is the BELLY BAND. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Let's see, drip edge above the door, all lights, the gas regulator, the roof fan. I don't have the awning but I think they screw that on too. Then of course there is the BELLY BAND. Raz
Do tell- do you mean to say that Escape attaches all those things without hardware, too?

I think we're talking about big fixtures like cabinets, etc...not add-ons/small fixtures like lights. Sheesh!.

And who would presume that an awning would be attached by fiberglass?

Next thing you know it'll be the cupboard door hinges.....

Francesca
Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
True, the deluxe has no rivets, they substitute screws instead thru the hull and covered with caps, each hole is a potential leak down the road, is it not?
Not really a significant issue. I have owned lots of fiberglass trailers including several Scamps over 30years old.All in need of complete rehab.
No leaking rivets yet.(and the early ones had no snap caps) If you simply drilled an 1/8th inch hole in the shell of any trailer and left it open it would not be a significant leak.
Now, in the unlikely event of a failed rivet, it would be much easier to repair than rotten "glassed in mounting boards" which become infiltrated with water (usually due to lack of window maintenance).
I refuse to concede that "through the shell rivet construction" is an any less valid or reliable construction method than "glassed in wood mounts".
In fact either will last a lifetime with average neglect.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #30

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: floyd..." In fact either will last a lifetime with average neglect". Who's lifetime? Yours or the trailers.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #31

Registry
Frankly, though I think that units like Trillium and its descendants (Outback, Escape) that glass-on interior fixtures achieve greater rigidity, the real problem with rivet-attachment is a cosmetic one.

My personal bias is towards a smooth, unblemished surface, and rivet patterns outlining the inside cupboards looks somehow slapdash to me.

It's different on a rig like an Airstream trailer...the symmetry of the panel-pattern goes along with the perfectly spaced rivets, making it more pleasing to the eye.

Francesca
Old 12-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #32

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
In the Egg Camper all counters, dinette seats, cabinets are molded in as are closets.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #33

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The Egg Camper, Parkliner, Lil Snoozy, Escape are all free of rivets, screw caps and the first 3 are with out roof a/c nor awning attachments for a real clean look, exterior wise.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: floyd..." In fact either will last a lifetime with average neglect". Who's lifetime? Yours or the trailers.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I've owned plenty of them who's original owners were surely well into their dirt nap, but then everything lasts it's own lifetime!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Frankly, though I think that units like Trillium and its descendants (Outback, Escape) that glass-on interior fixtures achieve greater rigidity, the real problem with rivet-attachment is a cosmetic one.

My personal bias is towards a smooth, unblemished surface, and rivet patterns outlining the inside cupboards looks somehow slapdash to me.

It's different on a rig like an Airstream trailer...the symmetry of the panel-pattern goes along with the perfectly spaced rivets, making it more pleasing to the eye.

Francesca
Francesca,
Remove your glasses and step back ten feet.... Voila! no rivet caps. All that is left is that nice rounded pleasing shape! Why do you think old men leave their glasses on the nightstand?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Why do you think old men leave their glasses on the nightstand?
To keep their teeth company!

Francesca
Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The Egg Camper, Parkliner, Lil Snoozy, Escape are all free of rivets, screw caps and the first 3 are with out roof a/c nor awning attachments for a real clean look, exterior wise.
Yep! With all the character of a half finished cough drop!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #38

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6"
New York
Wife Vetoed The New Scamp Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Hi Frederick & to all the others. Thanks for all the responses. I do realize the Scamp 16' cost more than a stick trailer being many feet longer & like all here go the fiberglass because the Pros out number the cons of the stick built(heavier,the box look & the stick type construction). I have considered a new airsteam 20' to 22 ' but I would have to trade up my fairly new 2012 Ford F150 XLT to a 2013 superduty 250 & Iam not willing to tie up 85k or more for a trailer /truck which will be used for 2 to 3 week trips. We will purchase the Scamp. Take care, drive safe .... John & Gwen
I was all set to pull the trigger & buy the new 16' Scamp Custom DLX yesterday but ....... somehow my wife found the Casita web site, saw the 17' Spirt DLX. Being the very smart lady she is, it did not take long before she realized she could have 1 foot more living space with basically the same layout & add to the fact she could also get it loaded with everything! My wife did not leave any of the option boxes unchecked. When I questioned the fact she would not be getting all that custom wood work inside like the Scamp, her response was the Casita DLX looked much brighter inside & she just liked the overall look better. Having said all this, the new Casita will be delivered loaded with every option my wife could check off, delivered backed up into my driveway in 5 days. Iam sure it will cause lots of heads to turn with many questions to follow here on the east coast in the Adirondack Mts. of upstate NY....... John & Gwen Cole
John Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Congrats to you guys. Lots of fun times ahead.

5 days though! Wow! Do they have a bunch in stock. I am used the the Escape trailers that are months out for delivery.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #40

Registry
Yeah!
That's unbelievably fast service, and all the way to New York, too- good for Casita..

Have fun with it!

Francesca