Dealing With Dealers Over New Trailer Prices ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6"
New York
Dealing With Dealers Over New Trailer Prices ?

HI ..... We are seriously thinking about purchasing a new 16' Scamp with the Deluxe wood interior/ loaded. Scamps pickup price for the floor plan we want is $21,430 with the options discounted at 10%($17,795 +$3635.) Last purchase was back in the mid 70's, a new scamp 13' $1995. Being only 27 years old I just paid what the salesman quoted over the phone. Since we would drive the 1300 miles to pickup instead of the $1700 ship to homeprice, even not paying that I figuire the gas & lodging to & back will cost us at least $600 to $700 even if we use cheap lodging .... Now I need some advise on how to get the trailer price knocked down ?. With today's prices are they like dealing with car dealers who expect taking a lower price because of their profit margins ? Getting off the phone with Casita they offered a $500 discount off the trailer but no options discount just for asking for the brochure. We can afford Scamps new retail price but being retired now & saving where we can sure makes the whole journey alot more pleasureable, with any savings to be used for other things . Any advice would be appreciated .... Thanks John & Gwen
John Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Sometimes Casita and Scamp offer winter discounts due to it being a bit slower and Escape does the same. Did you ask for the off season rate? Other than seasonal, I have not seen any of Casita nor Scamp offer sale prices, Escape dropped their price$1000 this year and will offer an early bird discount but those are the only discounts I'm aware of.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #3

New York
Hi Jim ... These prices are from the packet(no mention of any winter discount) I just received as a result of talking to a sales person at Scamp who sent them out on Sat. Scamps prices were comarable to Casita's with the same options but since we would like the deluxe wood interior that Casita does not offer we have to pay about $3000. more which includes a few more nice add-on's .... John
Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, we all drool over the deluxe wood interior of Scamps.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #5

New York
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Hi Jim ... These prices are from the packet(no mention of any winter discount) I just received as a result of talking to a sales person at Scamp who sent them out on Sat. Scamps prices were comarable to Casita's with the same options but since we would like the deluxe wood interior that Casita does not offer we have to pay about $3000. more which includes a few more nice add-on's .... John
Jim ... I just got off the phone with Scamp & they did mark the trailer base price down $400 more (winter price)+ some of the options I saved due to the fact they were included with the higher Deluxe option price 16' side dinette so now we are at $17,395 + $2810 = $20,205. not including Reg. fee or sales tax. Now all I have to do is roll over the matttress & make a withdrawal ..... John
Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Cheer up. I'm buying a new furnace, for the house.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
You have two choices. You can search and wait and look for a used one close to what you want at a lower price or you can pay the price for a new one, get exactly what you want, and let the adventure begin. With a new one the wait is the closest you're going to come to the Christmas when you were a kid. Good luck either way, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Cheer up. I'm buying a new furnace, for the house.
Dang you should have done that last month when they were offering all the rebates!!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Dealing with Dealers? NOT!

Quote:
Now I need some advise on how to get the trailer price knocked down ?. With today's prices are they like dealing with car dealers who expect taking a lower price because of their profit margins ?
You are not dealing with a "dealer". No, they don't expect to take a lower price because they just don't play that game. Selling factory direct already cuts out the dealer's markup and their profit margins are a lot thinner than conventionally built trailers who sell through dealerships. Molding fiberglass costs more to do than stapling panels to sticks.

It looks like you worked out a really good price now.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Jim ... I just got off the phone with Scamp & they did mark the trailer base price down $400 more (winter price)+ some of the options I saved due to the fact they were included with the higher Deluxe option price 16' side dinette so now we are at $17,395 + $2810 = $20,205. not including Reg. fee or sales tax. Now all I have to do is roll over the matttress & make a withdrawal ..... John
Well if you got them to do that with one phone call I wonder what more you might get if you push/beg a little and start to get serious about signing an actual order.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Dang you should have done that last month when they were offering all the rebates!!!
Or maybe it doesn't make any difference. First, to qualify, you have to have a home energy audit ( costs about $300 ). And, then to qualify for $500 grant, you have to spend about $1,000 extra for a high efficiency furnace.

I could just move out to the trailer for the winter.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Or maybe it doesn't make any difference. First, to qualify, you have to have a home energy audit ( costs about $300 ). And, then to qualify for $500 grant, you have to spend about $1,000 extra for a high efficiency furnace.

Sorry we are off topic ....LOL ....my trailers heater isnt all that efficient or quite! but you did miss the added $800 total rebate Fortis offered up last month.. didnt need to do the audit thing or grant thing if you didnt want to in order to get it, only catch to it was the need to buy a furnace of a certain efficiency. Add to that the Government was offering up the energy audit for $175 and then you got another $700 rebate.... between the two rebates and even with out the additional grant they covered the price difference of the more efficient furnace over a lower rated one. If you dont need the new furnace right now it might be worth a call to Fortis to see if/when they might offer up that deal again.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #13

New York
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
You are not dealing with a "dealer". No, they don't expect to take a lower price because they just don't play that game. Selling factory direct already cuts out the dealer's markup and their profit margins are a lot thinner than conventionally built trailers who sell through dealerships. Molding fiberglass costs more to do than stapling panels to sticks.

It looks like you worked out a really good price now.
Hi Frederick & to all the others. Thanks for all the responses. I do realize the Scamp 16' cost more than a stick trailer being many feet longer & like all here go the fiberglass because the Pros out number the cons of the stick built(heavier,the box look & the stick type construction). I have considered a new airsteam 20' to 22 ' but I would have to trade up my fairly new 2012 Ford F150 XLT to a 2013 superduty 250 & Iam not willing to tie up 85k or more for a trailer /truck which will be used for 2 to 3 week trips. We will purchase the Scamp. Take care, drive safe .... John & Gwen
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #14

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Scamp16

Quote:
Before you decide look at the Escape 17 or 19 they may be close to the Scamp price. Escape has no rivets in the body, no rat fur either.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #15
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Actually as has been reported here on prior occasions, there are lots of rivets going through the Escape body shell - mostly used to attach vents, hatches, deflectors and the awning to the body. To be fair however, this is much less than used by Scamp, Casita, etc. These other manufacturers use rivets through the shell to to secure interior furnishings whereas Escape uses strips of glassed in wood on the interior to affix the furnishings to.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:

Hi: Glenn Baglo... To get that $5 hun. We got a free Energy Aud. Then spent $11k on windows doors and furnace. We did get the $5 hun. tho!!! If the gubermint found out that we sprung for A/C as part of the deal we wouldn't have qualified for a dime!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. I'd buy the Escape trailer over any other. Just better built and worth every penny extra too!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
The only rivets I have seen on my Escape is in the front storage box. Ceiling vents and awnings are attached with screws/bolts and sealed. There are no plastic rivet caps like Casita/Scamp that need replacing in the future. Not sure if Scamp/Casita use rivets on their ceiling vents or screws on their awnings. Actually, newer ceiling vents are now installed via clamped, similar to your windows, to eliminate additional holes. Also the vent pipes are sealed. You will not find any f/g trailer that does not have some holes in the exterior, it is just those with less are better.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure if Scamp/Casita use rivets on their ceiling vents or screws on their awnings.
My Scamp has rivets on almost items with a few exceptions - awning has 4 very large bolts with nuts. On the rear overhead bins the bottom/side of trailer mounts are screws with caps, the top attachment points for the overhead bins are through the roof with rivets All other bins and cupboards are riveted with caps. The rear table hardware connection to the shell is screwed in. Vents on top and side of trailer, water and power outlets are all riveted.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
Before you decide look at the Escape 17 or 19 they may be close to the Scamp price. Escape has no rivets in the body, no rat fur either.
Escape doesn't offer anything like Scamp's deluxe interior, which BTW is not riveted in place.
At any rate,you seem to imply that rivets are somehow a disadvantage which is simply not so. The ratfur is also the best interior choice in the industry.

Don't forget these things are made to be towed...Advantage Scamp.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
True, the deluxe has no rivets, they substitute screws instead thru the hull and covered with caps, each hole is a potential leak down the road, is it not?