Death by tree - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #15

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
for someone used to working with fiberglass your trailer is fixable, but like Raya says they dont do it cheaply. I would suggest buying it back from the insurance company also (they dont wanna deal with it) and ignoring the bozo's who told you they'ld put one on the lot for $2000. They just dont know and never will.
Bruce

Old 08-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #16

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I just want to add that (and you may know this), in my experience, it is good to know that you don't have to take the insurance company's first offer. In my case I had an older car, but it was in exceptional condition and I had maintained it as if it were a new one.

Some fellow car folks told me that I could negotiate with the insurance company, so, I called them up, explained, and they said they would take a look at my documentation. I brought in a notebook I had with photos of the car, records of all that I had done to maintain it, and reasons why I thought it was worth more than the "typical" car of that age and type. They came back with a much more fair offer, which I accepted.

Now in your case it may not be that your Burro is so much better/different than other Burros in good condition, but more that your insurance company is not aware of the value of fiberglass campers in general, and how they hold their value as compared to "stickies." If you can clearly demonstrate that to them, then there is a good chance they will listen to you and you will get a fair settlement.

Raya

Old 08-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #17

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
I'd just add to what Raya said, and something I said in another thread, don't let the adjuster bamboozle you with the KBB "value". That is a DEPRECIATED value. Hold out for them to give you a fair settlement. They will want to get the issue off their books so the longer you can hold out the better settlement you will get.

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
A great example of not taking what the insurance company offers right off the bat is, a (For Sale Ad on the referral forum) 17 ft wide body Burro RARE! 1999 BURRO 17' WIDE BODY WITH BATH & A/C! NICE! LOOK LIKE SCAMP

I also have some other sites to pass along to you, if you want to investigate other sales. They are search sites I used when I had time to search for trailers for sale to post on the referral forum. PM if you want the search sites.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #19

Name: Darin
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Burro
Just giving an update.

My insurance company required me to get an estimate before they would send someone out to look at the camper. The catch 22 here is that it is not movable and none of the local dealerships would come out, even though three the largest in the state are within a five mile radius. I showed them all the pictures and I finally got one to write an estimate with the caveat that there was a good possibility it would be higher. Total estimate so far is $10,918. The insurance adjuster comes out tomorrow morning.

One dealership said it was only worth $1,200 so they had no desire to do an estimate. I told him that if he could buy them at that price he could then sell them at $5,000 and never keep one on the lot, he laughed and asked if I would pay that much for a little used camper. I think the joke is on him.

We have already started looking for a replacement. Trying to decide if we want another 17/16 footer or drop down to a 13 footer and then the hard work of trying to find one
Old 09-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 72 Boler 13 ft
I just love insurance companies When I got my '72 Boler I called mine & they said "don't bother". That it would be covered with my truck. At least they didn't Want to insure it. Of course it is much older and less valuable.

Since the offender was a tree, a mighty big one, were you fortunate enough to be at home, or somewhere where the homeowners insurance may step forward? Sometimes that is a good option.

Best of luck, too bad you've missed so much of this camping season. Hopefully next year will find you enjoying a new season in a new 'home away from home'
Old 09-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #21

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Remington If you look under care & feeding date 8/23/2010 post by Joe Steadman and follow the thread all the way to the end you can see what can be accomplished in the right hands. Apparently Joe is not one to blow his own horn, but the job that was done on his trailer was only a little short of miraculous. The damage to his little trailer appears to be too extensive to salvage but salvage it he did (apparently with a little help from a friend). I don't know how to provide the link so just had to use the above reference. It certainly demonstrates what can be done if you can get your trailer in the right hands Lee
Old 09-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #22

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Is this the one Lee?
New Owner.... 85 13 ft. Scamp... needs lots of work
Old 09-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty D View Post
I just love insurance companies When I got my '72 Boler I called mine & they said "don't bother". That it would be covered with my truck. At least they didn't Want to insure it. Of course it is much older and less valuable.

Since the offender was a tree, a mighty big one, were you fortunate enough to be at home, or somewhere where the homeowners insurance may step forward? Sometimes that is a good option.

Best of luck, too bad you've missed so much of this camping season. Hopefully next year will find you enjoying a new season in a new 'home away from home'
I originally tried to get my homeowners to cover it. They said sure but there was a cap of a thousand dollars for "trailers". Now what is the definition of "trailer"? My insurance agent advised me to file the claim under my auto insurance instead of getting into an argument with the homeowners. The logic behind that was if I won I could be dropped and finding homeowners insurance in Florida can be pretty hard specially during hurricane season.

The adjuster who came out this morning told me that they will use comparable sales to estimate the value, not an NADA or Blue Book value. I should hear something in the next 48 hours.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Remington If you look under care & feeding date 8/23/2010 post by Joe Steadman and follow the thread all the way to the end you can see what can be accomplished in the right hands. Apparently Joe is not one to blow his own horn, but the job that was done on his trailer was only a little short of miraculous. The damage to his little trailer appears to be too extensive to salvage but salvage it he did (apparently with a little help from a friend). I don't know how to provide the link so just had to use the above reference. It certainly demonstrates what can be done if you can get your trailer in the right hands Lee
If I had the time and space I wouldn't hesitate do dive into a project like this but working 50 plus hours a week and not having a place to store it while I worked on it wouldn't allow this pleasure. I did ask the adjuster about buying it back if they totaled it and he stated that it wouldn't be a problem except that in Florida we have a law that if a vehicle is totaled over a certain dollar amount that it can never be registered and put back on the road. He didn't know if this applied to RVs but said he would look into it.

Between missing out on the camping, the hassle of the two insurance companies and the daunting task of finding a replacement I am starting to get a little stressed.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #25

Trailer: 1999 Burro
If you need a comp, I bought a 99 17 footer this summer. Send me a pm if you want copies of my bill of sale. I bought it off of the fiberglass rvs for sale website.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #26

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Roy Good to hear from you again ! ( every time we use our salt and pepper mills we think of you guys and your kindness ) Yes that is the one ! What an amazing job don't you think? Lee
Old 09-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #27

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by remington850 View Post
If I had the time and space I wouldn't hesitate do dive into a project like this but working 50 plus hours a week and not having a place to store it while I worked on it wouldn't allow this pleasure. I did ask the adjuster about buying it back if they totaled it and he stated that it wouldn't be a problem except that in Florida we have a law that if a vehicle is totaled over a certain dollar amount that it can never be registered and put back on the road. He didn't know if this applied to RVs but said he would look into it.

Between missing out on the camping, the hassle of the two insurance companies and the daunting task of finding a replacement I am starting to get a little stressed.
Remington I can certainly understand that. We don't have the space either and although there are many things I can do, and have done, on our trailers I lack the skills to tackle a job of the magnitude yours or Steadman's would require. Lee
Old 09-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 Jayco Talon toyhauler/ 1985 Burro 13 custom.
Registry
Remington, I had this Burro for sale last month. I had it priced at $6950.00 and got full price for it. Just an FYI. I wouldn't settle for any less.
Attached Thumbnails
1999 Burro 17' wide body 008.jpg   1999 Burro 17' wide body 011.jpg  

1999 Burro 17' wide body 012.jpg   1999 Burro 17' wide body 018.jpg