Decoupage? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 Captain
I was thinking of doing the decoupage idea for my Captain. Since it is totally gutted thought it would be the way to go. Does anyone have any tips for a first timer and were can I get the double foil and bubble insulation? I'm not sure of what it is or what it looks like. Do you use the 3m super 77 adhesive for all the layers foil ,bubble,and covering? Thanks Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4192.JPG  
Bryan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Does anyone have any tips for a first timer and were can I get the double foil and bubble insulation? [b]I'm not sure of what it is or what it looks like.
I bought the Reflectix brand insulation at my local RV parts store, But I have seen rolls of it at Home Depot and Lowes for less.

When I did the interior of my old Compact Jr. I used 3M Super 77 Adhesive. I had a difficult time, and it slumped off of the ceiling the first time and I had to re-do it. If I were to do it again, I'd use 3M Hi-Strength 90.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You might also call Scamp Parts and ask what adhesive the factory uses to glue the Reflectix to the egg and the rat fur to the Reflectix (actually Scamp is using a different brand than Reflectix now).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Cadet
Quote:
I was thinking of doing the decoupage idea for my Captain. Since it is totally gutted thought it would be the way to go. Does anyone have any tips for a first timer and were can I get the double foil and bubble insulation? I'm not sure of what it is or what it looks like. Do you use the 3m super 77 adhesive for all the layers foil ,bubble,and covering? Thanks Bryan
Bryan,
Have you started your project yet. I too have a gutted captain (I think). Before reading some of the posts on this site I didn't think I was just going to sand and paint the fiberglass but, I guess, condensation is an issue.

Donnie
Attached Thumbnails
inside1.jpg   outside1.jpg  

Donnie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Bryan,
Have you started your project yet. I too have a gutted captain (I think). Before reading some of the posts on this site I didn't think I was just going to sand and paint the fiberglass but, I guess, condensation is an issue.

Donnie
Not just condensation, but you need the insulation and covering as a noise barrier. If you camp when it rains, you'd be grateful for it! Otherwise... imagine your head in an over turned bucket.... ping, ping, plonk.

Here's Bryan's initial post and discussion: refinishing the interior of the captain

and here's one that talks about decopage: For those that have replaced the interior covering..., I'm begging for help!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Cadet
Quote:
Not just condensation, but you need the insulation and covering as a noise barrier. If you camp when it rains, you'd be grateful for it! Otherwise... imagine your head in an over turned bucket.... ping, ping, plonk.

Here's Bryan's initial post and discussion: refinishing the interior of the captain

and here's one that talks about decopage: For those that have replaced the interior covering..., I'm begging for help!

Thanks Donna,
You make a very good point. I plan on starting work on the captain in mid April with the goal of having most of the work done by the beginning of July when I will be waking up in it at a 3 day folk festival. Believe me, ping, ping, pong will not be a welcome sound.

I will start figuring out this decopage thing. I have a feeling this forum is going to come in handy

donnie
Donnie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I've spent nights in a metal-roofed shelter on the Appalachin Trail and in the aluminum canopy on my pickup truck, with acorns dropping on the former and rain dropping on the latter, and earplugs would have been handy! OTOH, my rat furred Scamp's roof has a nice sound in the rain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MauldinTinRoof.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	18529

Now that you mention it, it does sound
like the patter of rain on a tin roof.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote