Delta antenna removal - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Name: Gary
Trailer: 89 13' Scamp
California
Delta antenna removal

Hello, Newbie here. Have 1989 Scamp 13'. Am trying to take the Delta antenna off and can't seem to figure out how to do it??? Any knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Been reading a lot of posts and this is a wonderful, helpful site.I've gotten so many ideas it will take me months to try and implement them all. Thanks for all, Gary

Old 06-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi Gary, I see this is your second post... not sure where number one was... but I wanted to welcome you to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here!

I don't have and never had an external antenna.. so can't be any help, hopefully someone will pop in soon with an answer to your question.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Delta Antenna removal

Gary
First let me welcome you to the forum. Now for the antenna removal. There is an inner and outer knob assy in the cieling. First find the small hole on the edge of the outer knob. You will need a set of allen wrenches that will reach to the center of the knobs. Take a fairly small allen wrench (I don't know the size.) and insert it into the hole in the outer knob, then turn the inner knob until the allen wrench drops into a hole on the inner knob. The inner hole on mine was near the stamped arrow on the inner knob. The setscrew is on the shaft of the inner knob. Once you find the correct size allen wrench and you can loosen the setscrew and both knobs will drop off the shsft with a slight tug.
Now go outside and disconnet the antenna lead and drill out about six pop rivets on the antenna base. After the sealant is broken the antenna should come off the roof. Save the base to make a tinplate for an aluminum plate to cover the hole. The hole in your ratfur will only be about 1" in diameter. Cut a small piece of rat fur and refletux from under a bench or cabinet. Cut both of your pieces of material to fit the hole then hot glue them in place. After the glue has set brush the ratfur and your patch should blend in to the cieling.
Eddie
Old 04-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
AJB

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Eddie. Thanks for the tip. You just saved me a lot more head scratchin...among other things. The allen wrench needed is a 3/32". Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Wow, removing the antenna is one of the things I want to do on my 1988 Scamp 16 and here is an old thread about the very thing. I don't need the antenna, would like a better (newer, digital) if I did, and the old Scamp will fit under a shorter cover without.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
AJB

Florida
I replaced it with this antenna. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1397160093.186531.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	69718
About $30 from camping world. Ran the ugly coax thru the base into the trailer, pulled back the rat fur and ran it to the tv. Coax is outta sight.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Adam, is that hook I see sticking out your Scamp for hanging the unit to drip dry?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
AJB

Florida
Exactly. It's actually a hook to hang up my poor mans canopy. There's another on the opposing end. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1397252081.452510.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	69761
Old 06-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #9

Name: Bene
Trailer: Scamp 19
Texas
Adam, do you remember the brand/model number of the antenna that you purchased from Camping World? Wanting to replace the old one myself and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2003 19' Scamp. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #10

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Bene
On my Scamp I used the antenna that Adam used, which requires patching the old Delta hole and rerouting the antenna cable. Since then I have the I have installed a Jack antenna on another trailer. I would now highly recommend the Jack antenna. It should cover most of the Delta mounting holes and you can use the existing external antenna cable. With a Jack antenna you will have to cut a 1" piece off both ends of your rotator shaft. The Jack is a very good antenna that comes with a signal finder function.
Eddie