Depreciation Rate of Scamps - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #1

Name: Luke
Trailer: Casita
Upper Midwest
Depreciation Rate of Scamps

Hello,

I am in the market for a used scamp and I was wondering if anyone knows what a scamps depreciation rate is? Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
I'm not an expert on Scamps like many other forum members but from what I have seen locally (Kijiji etc) once they reach a certain age the depreciation is minimal if not at all, assuming the condition of the trailer is kept up.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #3

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
If you might be willing to share the scamp you're looking for (13, 16 or 5er, standard or deluxe), year/age you're looking for as well as options important to you, I'm sure we could give you a ballpark of what range you might expect to pay.

Alternatively, you could share what you'd like to spend as well. Also depends on condition if trailer, as has already been stated. In general, FG trailers like scamps hold their value as compared to stick built trailers, and are a wonderful investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Luke,

Depreciation is a funny term. You need to consider inflation and the value of the dollar.

We paid $6000 for a 20 year our 1991 Scamp 16 about 4 years ago. I would not be surprised if our $6000 purchase price is not far from the cost of a new Scamp 20 years ago. (I have no idea what a 1991 Scamp 16 cost only what it costs today.)

The value the US dollar has decreased by at least a 1/4 in the last 8 years. Inflation, you know if you do food shopping, is on the rise.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Yeah, a lot like a good pickup truck they go down but never below the value of a good working pickup. The campers are in part held at a stable price by the increasing cost of new and limited supply. My 77 and a similarly equipped 87 are worth about the same. Just as a good 1/2 ton pickup is worth the same to someone that needs a 1/2 ton pickup irrespective of exact age once it is no longer a "late model" vehicle.

I think the scarcity also helps keep the price of late model campers up. If you don't want to order and get on a waiting list then your willing to pay a premium for a late model in like new condition.

In good condition with everything working as it should a FGRV won't drop in price below the "value" of owning one and camping in it. And that value is good!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #6

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I think they depreciate a bit for the first few years until the price of a new one rises. Then they depreciate a little slower. Tapering off to hold their dollar value. Then they appreciate. Many older ones sell for more than they were new.

That is straight dollar value, not inflation value which seem to go faster when it comes to depreciation.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #7

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
And banks dont keep up with Fiberglass values if financing. The cost of used being not that much less than new led us to order new exactly the way we wanted it. Used prices ideally equipped with no mods required was about $3000 less was all so we decided to go new and get it perfect for us.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #8

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by lk123 View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows what a scamps depreciation rate is?
I don't believe there is a hard-and-fast rule at play for this. Pricing for molded fiberglass trailers is whatever the market will bear... kind of like the wild, wild, west of cowboy days. "Depreciation" is a construct of Dealer networks, which most molded fiberglass manufacturers (except for Bigfoot) or resale owners do not use. The 3 things to think about with "wheel-estate" are condition, condition, and condition.

This is why we keep all of the expired "For Sale" ads in an archive, because the North American Dealer's Association Guide for Scamp does not reflect what the older ones actually sell for in the for-sale-by-owner market.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #9

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
The 3 things to think about with "wheel-estate" are condition, condition, and condition.
Insert big thumb like here
Old 08-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #10

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Condition, condition is definitely it. I see vast and varied sale prices for scamps, and right now, would seem they're fetching top dollar, especially the 13's which attract the go small and minimalistic movement.

I paid $7,700 for my 2012 scamp 13, but it had been in an accident. Although repaired at the factory, I love with and accept quite a bit of stress cracking that Scamp said can happen after the fact due to flexing. I have no leaks, have filled cracks with cap'n tolleys and live with and love my Scamp. I could not have afforded the extra 4-6 thousand for a brand new delivered one.

All works beautifully in my trailer and I made a wonderful friend along the way.

These trailers require and receive more love in my opinion than stickies. But I also think the people that buy them are good souls who wAnt to nurture and protect a design of beauty. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Prices get twisted too by location, location, location. In large population centers the demand is much higher and proportionally supply much smaller, so people are much more willing to pay a much higher price not to have to drive 500 miles both ways just for the privlage to look at a trailer, only to find out it was sold while in transit. I know i was willing to pay more for a good local unit.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 PM   #12

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Supply and Demand. Short supply big demand for used Molded Fiberglass. They do not follow blue books.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Luke,

Depreciation is a funny term. You need to consider inflation and the value of the dollar.

We paid $6000 for a 20 year our 1991 Scamp 16 about 4 years ago. I would not be surprised if our $6000 purchase price is not far from the cost of a new Scamp 20 years ago. (I have no idea what a 1991 Scamp 16 cost only what it costs today.)

The value the US dollar has decreased by at least a 1/4 in the last 8 years. Inflation, you know if you do food shopping, is on the rise.
And now, 4 years later, you probably could still get close to $6000 for it if you were of a mind to sell it. (But I know we would have to pry that Scamp out of your cold fingers.)
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mike,

I think that if you pry the Scamp from my cold fingers you'd find my children there first. Both boys have the RVing nature, like being away and enjoy the new.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp