Did 1984 13' Scamps have grey water tank? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #1

Name: DANNY
Trailer: Scamp, Casita, Love Bug, Bigfoot
Georgia
Registry
Question Did 1984 13' Scamps have grey water tank?

My 13' scamp doesn't have a grey water tank, the sink drains directly to an outside drain connection.

So.. you have to be connected to something (like in a campground) however, it DOES have the fresh water tank.

This doesn't seem right.. does it?
roamingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #2

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Our 1982 Scamp has been modified, but I don't think it had a grey water tank originally. The previous owner installed a hose splitter under the sink, with one hose going to the outside drain, and the othre going to a 2.5 gallon grey water tank that has a handle and is removable. This tank sits under the sink and fits perfectly between the wheel well and the fridge. It's easy to take out and dump and put back into place.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
My 1999 has a hand pump fresh water tank, and the sink drains directly to the outside hose connection. I think the gray water tank is part of the shower package. For most campgrounds, you will need a sealed, external gray water receptical. Can either buy one of the commercial tanks like this:

Tote-Along Portable Holding Tank, 10 gal. (Barker) - $59.88

Or you can improvise a much less expensive option. See this thread:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...her-34903.html

Or this site:

http://popupbackpacker.com/gray-wate...r-your-camper/
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I definitely don't think the old ones did. It's still an option on new ones, not standard. My 2008 drains to the same external fitting. It's only fairly recently that it has become widely unacceptable to disperse grey water on the ground. Thirty years ago we all thought we were doing the trees a favor.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Nope - our 1973 Boler doesn't have one. We've been 'watering the trees and flowers, for many years (since the mid '60s).
Old 03-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Bolers and scamps are very similar and our 84 Boler does not have a grey water tank. It does have a short hose from the sink to a drain connector on the outside. A short piece of garden hose lets us collect grey water in a large water jug to be deposited in the trailer dump site.
Earlier trailers just drained onto the ground behind the axle. Follow your sink drain pipe to see where yours goes.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingcamera View Post
My 13' scamp doesn't have a grey water tank, the sink drains directly to an outside drain connection.

So.. you have to be connected to something (like in a campground) however, it DOES have the fresh water tank.

This doesn't seem right.. does it?
Gray water tanks are still optional. In 1982 the Scamp13 was too close to the ground to allow for a gray water tank. I have installed homemade tanks under the port side bench or you could simply drain into a two or three gallon bottle under the sink. The original was designed to use a cut off garden hose and drain into a container outside the camper...Like maybe a laundry detergent jug.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Did 1984 13' Scamps have grey water tank?

I'm guessing Scamp never even thought about putting a grey tank on a 13'er until they added the shower option (early 2000's, maybe??). Then, of course, they had to.

Now, some order it as an option even without the shower. No harm, but an external tank is acceptable in all but a few places. The choice comes down to whether you'd rather use a dump station or haul an external container to an acceptable disposal location. It's more common to require an external tank be a sealed unit. There's some sense in that, as an open bucket can attract unwanted critters.

My family traveled all over in a tent trailer in the 60's and 70's. No grey tank, and we did the garden hose and bucket thing. When it was full, we found a tree and gave it a drink. Times have changed.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp