Digital TV Blues - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #21

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
When you push the remote it jumps forward two channels sometimes.
Also when you want to see whats on next, instead of going forward to the next tv program , it it goes backwards until you hit the remote button about 3 times.
STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Smile

We bought our converter box at Best Buy also. It is junk.
Some stations are distorted, go off and on, and just are so annoying that we don't even watch that TV any longer. We had it connected since Christmas, and was hoping things would improve in June, but they did not. We have 2 or 3 of the same station with different programs, some chanels just fade in and out. I HATE this new system.
I can get NOTHING on my new TV in the camper. I sure would like to go back to the good ole days.
Technilogy sucks!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
We bought our converter box at Best Buy also. It is junk.
Some stations are distorted, go off and on, and just are so annoying that we don't even watch that TV any longer. We had it connected since Christmas, and was hoping things would improve in June, but they did not. We have 2 or 3 of the same station with different programs, some chanels just fade in and out. I HATE this new system.
I can get NOTHING on my new TV in the camper. I sure would like to go back to the good ole days.
Technology sucks!
You are right!
We in SF bay area are held up because the Sutro Tower is being worked on until October!
They said "Are you Ready" repeatedly. THEY were not ready!
Where's old Frank Roosevelt when we need him? ( When the FCC was started) I. See no reason that TV should cost me money when they load it up with all the commercials.

jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #24

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
You are so right Jim, we are paying to watch TV commercials 1/2 the time we have the TV on ( if using cable or dish). That just does not seem right, does it! I really do not care to see all those commercials. Our TV should be free, as the commercials are paying for it.
Yep, technology sucks!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

When the government coupons were first offered, I got one and bought an RCA DTA800 Digital TV Converter.
I'm using it with a WINEGARD Hideaway Model: HA-0130 Antenna.

The Digital TV Converter has a set-up menu option to monitor signal strength with an on-screen bar graph plus an audio tone that gets higher in pitch as the signal gets stronger.

I can bring up the signal strength menu and turn the TV volume up, then go outside and slowly rotate the antenna while listening to the tone to find the direction that has the strongest signal. Then I go back inside and use the channel scan menu to tune in the stations.

Here in San Diego, the ABC and CBS affiliates' transmitters are northwest of me on Mt. Soladad. The NBC, FOX, and PBS affiliates' plus an Independent Station's transmitters are east of me on Mt. Miguel. The CW (English) affiliate's plus several Spanish networks' transmitters are south of me in Tijuana.

At the highest signal strength according to the digital converter, I get the Mt. Miguel and Tijuana signals perfectly.
I do not get the Mt. Soladad signals.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft

The tvfool website has a good online tool to show you what stations you might receive in any
location. I think it works a bit better than the antennaweb site.

The FCC did the consumer a disservice when it comes to the virtual channels. The TV station gets to keep its identity, but the consumer has no idea what channel the station really is broadcasting on and thus no idea as to what they need for an antenna. On the tvfool website results, look at the real channel column to see what you will need for an antenna.

Ron
Ron and Alma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
When the government coupons were first offered, I got one and bought an RCA DTA800 Digital TV Converter.

I can bring up the signal strength menu and turn the TV volume up, then go outside and slowly rotate the antenna while listening to the tone to find the direction that has the strongest signal. Then I go back inside and use the channel scan menu to tune in the stations.
That is very similar to what my dad did in the 1950's when we lived 60 mi. north of Detroit to pull in "Hockey Night In Canada"!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #28

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We have local interference, from a nearby ham radio operator I suspect. Every evening and sometimes on the weekends it causes the digital SNR to drop below -100 DBM. Normal SNR is -18 to -25 DBM

I use the RCA DTA's signal strength indicator to monitor when the signal to noise just drops out. Its frustrating when we are so close to the transmitters (6.8 miles as indicated by tvfool website) and can't watch television.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #29

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
We have local interference, from a nearby ham radio operator I suspect. Every evening and sometimes on the weekends it causes the digital SNR to drop below -100 DBM. Normal SNR is -18 to -25 DBM

I use the RCA DTA's signal strength indicator to monitor when the signal to noise just drops out. Its frustrating when we are so close to the transmitters (6.8 miles as indicated by tvfool website) and can't watch television.
Are you certain it is a ham radio operator causing the interference? If so, most hams are happy to help resolve the problem. Hams are also happy to help you understand how to keep your TV antenna in tip-top condition, and what other radio signals in your neighborhood might be interfering with your TV.

FWIW, I have trouble with digital TV when an airplane flies overhead. There have also been cases where something as innocous as an electric blanket will interfere with all sorts of radio signals. Your computer, DSL modem, microwave oven, and most everyday appliances today have the potential to interfere with radio and tv signals.

If you need help locating hams in your neighborhood, let me know and I'll point you toward several search engines.

-- Dan Meyer

Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #30

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I just wanted to add a little update to the digital conversion saga. I had been having trouble in my bedroom where I don't have a rooftop antenna connection, and the rabbit ears didn't work anymore. I just got a flat antenna with power booster and I now do fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VYQG1...x_ya_oh_product

A bit pricier than the rabbit ears but worth it in my opinion. It is supposed to be Omni directional but in fact it does make a difference which way you point it. Once I optimize that I'll mount it on the wall, I hope.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote