Digital TV Blues - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #29
Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
We have local interference, from a nearby ham radio operator I suspect. Every evening and sometimes on the weekends it causes the digital SNR to drop below -100 DBM. Normal SNR is -18 to -25 DBM

I use the RCA DTA's signal strength indicator to monitor when the signal to noise just drops out. Its frustrating when we are so close to the transmitters (6.8 miles as indicated by tvfool website) and can't watch television.
Are you certain it is a ham radio operator causing the interference? If so, most hams are happy to help resolve the problem. Hams are also happy to help you understand how to keep your TV antenna in tip-top condition, and what other radio signals in your neighborhood might be interfering with your TV.

FWIW, I have trouble with digital TV when an airplane flies overhead. There have also been cases where something as innocous as an electric blanket will interfere with all sorts of radio signals. Your computer, DSL modem, microwave oven, and most everyday appliances today have the potential to interfere with radio and tv signals.

If you need help locating hams in your neighborhood, let me know and I'll point you toward several search engines.

-- Dan Meyer

Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #30
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
I just wanted to add a little update to the digital conversion saga. I had been having trouble in my bedroom where I don't have a rooftop antenna connection, and the rabbit ears didn't work anymore. I just got a flat antenna with power booster and I now do fine.

A bit pricier than the rabbit ears but worth it in my opinion. It is supposed to be Omni directional but in fact it does make a difference which way you point it. Once I optimize that I'll mount it on the wall, I hope.

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote